Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » A Star Trek Timeline (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A Star Trek Timeline
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all. I've been cleaning out and organising my computer and I stumbled across a file with this in it:

A timeline of star trek. Anyone care to add to it. What year did the timeline divert... the year Kirk was born I suppose. I guess I wrote this 2003!

Begin File:

2003 --- you are here

2063 ---- Zephram Cochrane and first Human Warp flight (First Contact)

2151 ---- NX-01 Enterprise launched under the command of Captain Jonathon Archer “Enterprise Season 1
2152  “Enterprise” Season 2
2153  “Enterprise” Season 3 “Xindi Threat”
2154  “Enterprise” Season 4

((around this time was the Earth-Romulan war.))

2161 ----- Federation Founded with founding members that at least included Humans, Vulcans, Andorians and Tellarites.

2249 USS Enterprise 1701 – Constitution Class “Starship Class” Commisioned at the San Francisco ship yards, Earth, Sol Sector.
2264 Captain Pike at end of his 2nd 5 year mission on the Enterprise
2265---- Enterprise Captained by James T. Kirk's 5 year mission commences

2270---- Kirk's 1st 5 year mission ends (mentioned in Voyager)

2272----- The events of Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Kirk not logged a single Star Hour in 2 and a half years - Will Decker)

((possible 2nd 5 year mission before Enterprise used as a Cadet training ship.))

2283----- Events of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn (roughly 15 years after Space Seed
2283----- Events of Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
2283----- Events of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home USS Enterprise 1701-A Commisioned, Spacedock, Earth, Sol Sector
2283----- Events of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

((Possibly another 2, five year missions with 1701-A))

2293---- Events of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
2293---- Events of Star Trek Generations and the commissioning of the USS Enterprise 1701-B (78 Years before 2371)

2344 USS Enterprise NCC 1701-C destroyed defending the Klingon outpost on Narendra III (Yesterday's Enterprise)

2364 USS Enterprise NCC 1701-D commissoned (Galaxy Class) TNG season 1
2365 TNG season 2
2366 TNG season 3
2367 TNG season 4
2368 TNG season 5
2369 TNG season 6/DS9 season 1
2370 TNG season 7/DS9 season 2
2371Star Trek: Generations/DS9 season 3/Voyager season 1 USS Enterprise NCC 1701-D destroyed above and on Veridian III
2372 DS9 season 4/Voyager season 2 USS Enterprise NCC 1701-E commisioned
2373 DS9 season 5/Voyager season 3/Star Trek: First Contact
2374 DS9 season 6/Voyager season 4
2375 DS9 season 7/Voyager season 5/Star Trek: Insurrection
2376 Voyager season 6
2377 Voyager season 7
2378 Star Trek: Nemesis

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool beans. [Cool]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice, do you ever think about expanding on it? Going into details about the events within each series that could be considered as truly historical? Maybe dabble in a little pre-series history.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No I haven't thought about expanding on it, at least not recently. Just found it in an old file, and thought that this would be the best place to share it. [Smile] Anyone and everyone feel free to debate/discuss/add to? I do know there have been some discussions in the past about the true dates of the movies and how they fit in with the timeline, and other mentions of 'real' dates - like the throw away line in Voyager about the year that Kirk's first 5-year mission ended. I've also added a few possible 'other 5-year missions'. There HAS to be plenty of missions that they went on, especially between TMP and TWOK, and after they got the Enterprise A. I can't see them all sitting around. [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's quite lengthy, but I had something similar I found on an old hard drive recently. I'd apparenly dated individual episodes as well that fell outside of the normal continuity, but I don't seem to have referenced them.

I've added the Nu Trek dates, but it was complete upto the end of Enterprise, so that was summer 2005?

1933 ---------- TOS "The City on the Edge of Forever"
1947 ---------- DS9 "Little Green Men"
1968 ---------- TOS "Assignment: Earth"
1969 ---------- TOS "Tomorrow is Yesterday"
1986 ---------- TVH
1996 ---------- VOY "Future's End"
2004 ---------- ENT "Carpenter Street"
2024 ---------- DS9 "Past Tense"
2053 ---------- WW3 takes place
2063 ---------- Zephram Cochrane has first sucesful warp flight. First contact made with Vulcans (ST:FC)
ca. 2065------ SS Valaint? [earliest rough date from dialouge, probably later than Friendship 1]
2067---------- Friendship 1 launched
2151---------- NX-01 launched

ENT S1: Apr 2151 - Feb 2152
S2: Apr 2152 - Apr 2153
S3: May 2153 - Feb 2154
S4: Feb 2154 - Jan 2155

ca. 2156------ Romulan War begins, ending 2160
2161---------- Federation formed by Earth, Andor, Tellar & Vulcan (+ perhaps Alpha Centuri and unknown others)
ca. 2167------ USS Archon, USS Essex destroyed [rough dates from dialogue]
ca. 2168------ USS Horizon? [rough date from dialogue]

2233---------- Nu Trek diverges from timeline

2249---------- USS Enterprise NCC-1701 launched, San Fransisco Yards

April's mission: 2249-2254

2254---------- First contact with Talos IV (The Cage)

Pike 1st mission: 2254-2259
Pike 2nd mission: 2259-2264

P 2258 Spock re-emerges (Nu Trek)

2265 Kirk takes command of Enterprise, begins 5yr mission

TOS: 2266 - 2269

2268---------- DS9 "Trials and Tribble-ations"

TAS: late 2269 - early 2270

2270---------- Kirks 5yr mission ends [VOY dialogue]
2272---------- V'Ger incident (TMP) [2.5 years after 2270]

'Phase II', i.e. another 5yr mission, would go here.

Kirks 2nd 5yr mission: 2272-2276

Enterprise retired from frontline service ca. 2277

2278---------- TWOK Uniforms first seen

2282---------- TWOK, TSFS
2283---------- TVH [6mths after TSFS], Enterprise A launched
2284---------- TFF (possibly closer to end of TFF, but there is a period of refit + shore leave)

[I]Likely missions occur between these two films. Assuming TFF is the start of a 5 yr mission and TUC is the end of their mission exploring gaseous things:

Mission 1: 2284-2289
Mission 2: 2290-2293

2293---------- TUC, GEN. Enterprise B launched
2311---------- Tomed Incident
2344---------- Enterprise C destroyed (TNG 'Yesterday's Enterprise)
2355---------- Battle of Maxia [9 years prior to TNG S1]
2364---------- Enterprise D launched

TNG S1: 2364
S7: 2370

2369---------- Starfleet assumes control of DS9

DS9 S1: 2369
S7: 2375

2371---------- GEN, Voyager Launched

VOY S1: 2371
S7: 2377

2375---------- INS
2379---------- NEM
2387---------- Nu Trek

Anyway, I think that matches largely with yours. The only thing I never did was try to place the dated things from TOS (such as Nomad, the Eugenics War), the dates of which were on screen but have since passed.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TWOK-TFF is a headache. I don't know why the Okudas placed it in 2285, especially since the underlying principle they mostly worked from is that figures as spoken by the characters are exact and not rounded off. Maybe it was the 2283 date on the Romulan Ale bottle, which shouldn't be a concern at all because (a) McCoy's "it takes the stuff a while to ferment" seems to be sarcastic, (b) there's no reason it has to be an Earth year or a year at all and not, say, a stardate. But whatever.

The problem is, 2285 was the "official" reference point for TWOK that was used by Ronald D. Moore when writing Generations. Kirk states that the scene at his cabin in the Nexus just before he was "going back to Starfleet" is "9 years ago," from the viewpoint of it being 2293. So TWOK can't take place any earlier than 2284, because obviously he was already back in Starfleet at that time and didn't leave again.

There's also a problem with TFF: Caithlin Dar says the Romulans, Klingons, and Terrans established Nimbus III "20 years ago." This needn't be a precise figure, but in TOS season 1 (commonly dated as 2266-67) the Romulans hadn't been heard from for a century before "Balance Of Terror" and as late as season three (and TAS) the Federation was still in open conflict with them, so even 2284-85 (i.e., same year as TWOK) is too early, let alone 2283.

I would argue also that there's no reason it needs to take place in the same year as TWOK-TVH anyway, as the Enterprise-A has clearly been undergoing an extensive amount of work at the beginning of TFF, the bridge is different, etc. Kirk says he gave Scotty three weeks to get the ship operational but we don't know exactly how long it took for the ship's issues to present themselves or whatever else happened after the final scene of TVH, where everythng seemed to be working fine.

All this plus Gillian Taylor's statement that she had "300 years of catch-up learning to do" at the end of TVH is probably what led the Okudas to place TWOK and TSFS in 2285, TVH in 2286, and TFF in 2287, but things have to be fudged a little any way you slice it. The way I look at it, "9 years" from GEN is the least fudge-able because it's the most specific figure (no one rounds to 9) and we have the most concrete dates for that film's 23rd century events courtesy of it being "78 years" (another non-rounded figure) prior to 2371. TWOK's "15 years" is slightly more fudgeable, as someone might realistically say 15 when it's actually 16, etc. Same with TFF's "20 years." (But again, the later we can fudge that one the better because of the Romulan thing.) TVH's "300 years" is no problem at all given its roughness and the casual context in which the remark was made.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see a problem with Kirk's 9 year line in Generations.

We know firmly that he was on the Ent B in 2293. TUC was probably the same or previous year but not very long in the past.

In fact, if we take the same '200 years in the future' as for TOS, then TWOK, TUC and GEN fit, more or less. TSS follows nearly straight on from TWOK and TVH is several months after TSFS (is it 3 or 6 months, I can't remember).

Anyway, I digress. So in about 2284 Kirk is a captain, meaning that TVH can not tke place later than this point (unless Kirk's fantasy was not accurate).

It is possible that around this time (perhaps, stretching it a bit, this happens before TFF) he had some time off, had a crisis after demotion, met this nice girl and romanced her, but ultimately decided to "go back to Starfleet".

He's still in uniform, so he may not have resigned - but he might have been considering it after fallling head over heals for Antonia. That sounds more like Kirk to me.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not quite sure what you're saying. He's wearing exactly what he was wearing when he was swept into the Nexus, just as Picard is. Neither's attire changes when they shift locations and times. It shouldn't be taken as an indication of his rank in 2284.

The point is that 2293 minus 9 years is 2284 and this has to be before TWOK, because he doesn't leave Starfleet after that. TWOK is when he rediscovers his "first best destiny" as a starship captain. It would make absolutely no sense after getting exactly what he always really wanted (command of the Enterprise) at the end of TVH for him to then leave Starfleet. He was happy to be demoted because he was never happy as an Admiral anyway. So TWOK can be no earlier than 2284, and it's probably 2285 since it takes place in March (Kirk's birthday) and that's pretty early in the year and it seems like he's been living in San Francisco and evaluating cadets and such, not like he just got back.

My personal rationalization for why TWOK is actually 18 years after "Space Seed" is that Kirk (who fortunately is IIRC the only one who says "15 years" in the actual film) looks on his five-year mission as a single block of time, so it's 15 years after the end of the mission.

TSFS does follow nearly straight on from TWOK, but we don't know exactly how long that is (it could be weeks or even months taking into account limping home while repairing the battle damage, transferring David and Saavik to the Grissom and dropping Carol wherever, the Federation cordoning off Genesis, etc.) and we also don't know how long they're on Earth before stealing the ship. TVH is three months after the end of TSFS.

TUC would indeed be earlier the same year as GEN (2293, at least the middle part which takes place two months after the Praxis incident) because at the trial McCoy says he's been ship's surgeon on the Enterprise for 27 years. (He replaced Dr. Mark Piper in 2266.)

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

Well, I never gave it that much thought it seems.

Having seen it I like your take much better – and I must bow down to your far greater geek powers. Or, you know, just proper research. Also, I never put the fact that Picard and Guinan were wearing the same clothes as when they entered the Nexus together with Kirk. Dumb…

Anyway, your way of seeing things fits much better with the ‘official’ timeline, which is apparently a lot less flexible that it might appear at first glance. The only issue of contention is the two rounded dates – Kirk’s 15 not having seen Kahn in 15 years and Caithlen Dar’s “20 years ago” speech.

Therefore, loosely speaking, we get this:

In 2265 Kirk becomes captain of the Enterprise

Mid-late 2266, Season 1 of TOS begins and McCoy becomes ships surgeon (27yrs prior to TUC)

In 2267 the events of the episodes “Balance of Terror” and “Space Seed” occur. This is 18 years prior to TWOK (rounded to 15 by Kirk). It is also about 20 years before TFF, fitting with the opening of relations between the Federation and Romulus, especially if Dar’s rounding is anything like Kirks.

TOS then finishes in mid 2269 or so. TAS (if you want to include it) will continue to 2270, the year the Enterprises mission ends (This is also, incidentally, 15yrs prior to TWOK). As an aside, Mr Scot’s Guide to the Enterprise places this in 2212, with the refit finishing 2216. I think we can discount this as non-cannon.

Here we make two assumptions: Assumption 1 is that Kirk is immediately promoted to a desk job. Assumption 2 is that Decker’s statement is pretty accurate.
Taking these to be true we skip forward two-and-a-half years to the events of TMP. This places it sometime in mid-late 2273.

From here to 2284 is a large gap that can be filled with a mission following on from TMP. Is the prevailing assumption that the Enterprise is a training vessel for some time prior to TWOK? If not, a further mission can be slotted in, perhaps shorter than 5yrs, or maybe just not as a frontline ship

By TWOK Kirk is also no longer captain, although it is not clear when he left. These details aside, Spock is captain at the beginning of the film.

In 2284 or very early 2285, 9 years prior to GEN, Kirk has his crisis and considers quitting Starfleet. He leaves his lady friend to resume his job.

In March 2285 TWOK reinvigorates him and reaffirms his decision not to quit.

Some months later, but probably less than a year, are the events of TSFS, the end of which sees the Klingon ship land on Vulcan.

Three months later TVH begins, likely in 2286 (the ‘official’ date), or even 2287 at a stretch. The Enterprise-A appears at the end of the film, is not ready and is still being finished by the beginning of TFF, possibly before the close of 2286. Again, the ‘official’ date is 2287, which is not problematic as we don’t know how far the Enterprise got before everything broke (except the warp drive, which worked perfectly).

Then 6-7 years pass, during which time, probably towards the end of this period, the Enterprise is part of a larger mission to explore gaseous anomalies. There could be another mission prior to this of up to 5yrs.

In the first half of 2293 the events of TUC happen, followed around 6 months later by GEN.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish James Dixon would update his gargantuan Star Trek Timeline, incorporating Star Trek (2009). The last update to the Dixon Timeline document is from 2004, as far as I know.

http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/startrek/files.html
(file located at bottom of page)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ginger, you should include Sulu's promotion and Scotty's work on the Excelsior project.

After all, it's not a Kirk Timeline, right? [Wink]

Besides that I loathe the 2009 movie, I'd omit it from any timeline as it's either it's own alternate timeline or events there will continue to change/alter/undo the events we've seen.

You could also include known starship commision dates like from the Reliant, Excelsior, etc.
Maybe David's year of birth...really, all themajor events in the ST:Chronology book, with your corrections and updates.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
By TWOK Kirk is also no longer captain, although it is not clear when he left.

Captain by rank or occupation? He was already admiral in TMP...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:

1933 ---------- TOS "The City on the Edge of Forever"
1947 ---------- DS9 "Little Green Men"
1968 ---------- TOS "Assignment: Earth"
1969 ---------- TOS "Tomorrow is Yesterday"
1986 ---------- TVH
1996 ---------- VOY "Future's End"
2004 ---------- ENT "Carpenter Street"
2024 ---------- DS9 "Past Tense"
2053 ---------- WW3 takes place
2063 ---------- Zephram Cochrane has first sucesful warp flight. First contact made with Vulcans (ST:FC)

This is the start of an excellent list which I may steal if I ever continue my diatribe as to why JJ-Trek is actually much more different than our own.

After all, if you screw with the past of someone who screws with the timeline a lot, then you also screw with his screwings, and the screwings of those who followed him.

In some cases, yes, a lack of screwing would make no big difference (i.e. where the episode revolves around inadvertent changes which must be undone), but in other instances the screwing is critical to the timeline.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

Jason - I never actually had copy of the chronology. This thread is comming dangerously close to rekindling nerdy activities that were until now just a distant memory.

Fabrux - Captain as in the job, not the rank. That said, at the end of TMP he was still under "Temporary Grade Reduction". *Holds head in hands*

Guardian - I really do think you're right. Even if the ones seen in Trek are the only times time travel ever happened, then Nu-Trek still can't have over-written the "Prime" (or as I like to think of it "Actual") course of events. But, if it did then it would explain why we have Microsoft and not Chronowerx.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...the screwing is critical to the timeline."

I'm sure that's what Kirk told her, anyway.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps