Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » $$$ Star Trek Into Darkness Speculation Discussion - Spoilers, natch (Page 15)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15   
Author Topic: $$$ Star Trek Into Darkness Speculation Discussion - Spoilers, natch
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by o2:

Where is this 'red' comming from? I found no reference of red glowing bussard collectors in any picutre of the first Star Trek movie.

http://www.filmedge.net/StarTrek/downloads/USS_Kelvin_wallpaper_2_1280x1024.jpg

The Kelvin's Bussard is glowing red in this promotional picture from the last movie. I don't remember whether it glowed red in the film.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
I dunno ... the warp effect of the TOS movies (the rainbow effect) doesn't look like it did in TOS or TNG/DS9/VOY, but we all think that's "our" warp; and was the trip from the border of the Klingon Neutral Zone to Earth really take any longer than the trip from the Romulan Neutral Zone to Earth in First Contact?

True, but you can fudge that one a bit. Although I can't remember... had the battle already started before the Enterprise-E headed for Earth?
Yes, the battle was going poorly, that's why they left their station

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
waiting for RLM's review was so worth it
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn´t that image by Tobias Richter, a gifted Cgi-artist, but not actually involved in special effects for the movie? That might explain the mistakenly red colour?

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that image was from an official Paramount promotional poster. Richter's CGI models of the Kelvin and her kitbashes had a yellow glow from the collectors.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know -- one thing that COULD explain the Enterprise's speed --

What if Scotty, post-Relics, somehow figured out how to make transwarp speed & transport possible? Then, when Spock gave Scotty his own transwarp equation in Star Trek 2009, alternate Scotty & Starfleet were able to reverse engineer a transwarp engine out of it?

Just speculating.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My problem with it is that it's TOO advanced. It should shake up the universe way more than we've seen. The Genesis Device in TWOK was also like that, but it was then shown to be unusable in TSFS (if you assume that the problems were insummoutable, and maybe the Federation agreed not to carry on developing itto appease the Klingons).

Super-fast transporters that can beam you from one homeworld to another, and that can also possibly make warp drive several billion times faster than we've seen before? That's too much.

We can take the First Contact scene as a mistake, somehow. The Enterprise-E is not supposed to be that fast. But it seems that the new Enterprise IS supposed to be that fast.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, they never say or show that it took ten minutes to Kronos, it's not like you saw topped-off Latte glasses descending to bottom slurp within the span of the transitional scenes.

If anything, blame the music composer who stayed with the same background mull from Earth to Kronos, making the span feel short (can't remember if this was the case but I assume so).

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the impression the Enterprise jumped to warp, the Vengence followed and then immediately shot them down. Otherwise they were at warp for days, and the Vengeance only attacked after they'd reached Earth ans Kirk had his "they can't get us at warp" speech.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I thought we were talking about the pre-Khan earth-kronos journey. I don't recall the details of the scene you mean.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So isn't Qo'noS established as being only 4 or so days away from Earth in Enterprise's pilot? This also seems ridiculously close to me and I was bothered by the speed with which JJ-prise arrived at and retreated from what was (at least) called the edge of Klingon space.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, when it comes to "warp is way the hell too fast", that ship (ha) sailed long ago. Defiant was easily able to get back to Earth from the boondocks in little time, E-nil and E-A were able to cross most of the galaxy in little time, as was NX-01. If anything, the slower warp speeds evidenced by Voyager are the anomaly.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I dunno. I can ignore Star Trek V as saying that "God" is allowing them somehow. And I've always thought the "warp eddies" theory where there are some parts of space where warp is much faster was a nice way around the varying speed issues.

And I never had an issue with the 4 days from Earth to Qo'noS in Enterprise. But the impression that it only takes 5 minutes? That's a bit too much.

(My excuse for First Contact is that I never noticed it. I can't really explain that either.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do think there's some time mismatches in First Contact... Data starts to say they could be to the fleet assembly point in three hours. However, it was specifically stated that the fleet was meeting in the Typhon sector, AWAY from Earth, relatively near the border of the Federation. That strongly suggests a running battle from where they first met the Borg all the way to Earth. How much time that takes is up for debate, but it makes sense to me.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps