Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » ANOTHER Galactic Map... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ANOTHER Galactic Map...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This time, from the Dominion Wars game.

http://www.gamespy.com/asp/image.asp?/previews/june01/ds9dw/1.jpg

Have at it, folks!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably more of a GD topic...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly. Whoops!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much new in this map. The relative positions are as we are used to seeing them in Paramount-related sources (like the DS9 TM). The relative sizes seem odd, giving the sidekick Cardassians as much space as if not more so than our traditional big three. And the Borg seem really tiny in relation to the others.

Of course, in absolute terms, each empire is gigantic, and the use of Okudaic warp speeds is impossible. But if we assume each empire is "zoomed into" while leaving the galactic background unzoomed (but all the Alpha empires are zoomed into collectively, not empire by empire), then the relative positions seem quite okay to me.

Now why the heck did they have to create that new logo for the Dominion? And why is it "Klingon Star Empire" now, instead of just "Klingon Empire"? All the other empires get the short form: "Cardassia" instead of "Cardassian Union", for example.

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yuk! I think I'll settle with Christian R�hl's design again.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like it. There is way too much 'empty' space between our big three Alpha powers, and their representation on the map is exagerated hugely. Also, why the heck is Dominion space (judging from the relative positions of the wormhole and the blob that indicates their territory) almost 20.000 lightyears away from the Gamma endpoint?!

Borg space seems to be located at the extreme edge of the galaxy, whereas everything we've seen about them so far indicates a massive amount of Borg-controlled volumes near the galactic core.
In fact, Borg territory is not much bigger than that of any Alpha power, and a lot smaller than "Jem'Hadar"!

Other minor details: United Federation of Planets, Klingon Empire, Dominion Alliance, Romulan Star Empire... they got all the names wrong. It's small things like these that help a Trek title.

[ June 19, 2001: Message edited by: The_Evil_Lord ]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call me crazy, but aren't Bajor, the wormhole, and the Badlands outside of Cardassian space? Seems to me the Badlands are on the edge of Cardassian space and the Bajor system is either on the edge of Federation space or in between the UFP and the CU.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always got the impression that following the original treaty Bajor was now located in the DMZ, along with all the colony worlds which would give rise to the Maquis. If the game is set at the height of the Dominion War, though, after the JH readicated the Maquis, many of those formerly neutral systems might now be under overall Cardassian control?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The size of the federation and cardasian empire are off, the placement seems right, its just the size of the space is completely off... doesnt the federation have a neutral zone with the romulans? I dont think its that big...
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically, the whole map is totally fucked. That about sums it up. :-)
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. Would have nicely ended this thread, too, but I just had to add one comment.

Namely, I don't think Bajor ever was in the DMZ. Every reference to the DMZ had the heroes *traveling* there *from* Bajor. And DMZ was supposed to be Cardassian space, not neutral - it was simply demilitarized. Bajor wasn't Cardassian space in the show, except briefly during the Dominion war.

The map glimpsed in "For the Cause" showed the DMZ as a narrow belt well clear of the DS9 symbol (two-three map grids' worth, and the grids might have been about one lightyear per side if the Cardassian logo on the other side was supposed to be Cardassia Prime, 5 ly from Bajor).

That map would also seem to prove that the DMZ was effected not only in those areas of Cardassian space that bordered on UFP holdings, but also on areas that bordered on neutral space, or space held by third parties. UFP space never seemed to extend all the way to DS9 during the course of the series.

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's yet another map made without any consideration. No matter if we take speeds or gives distances as references, it just doesn't work out at all. If the map were correct, either Voyager should have been home within a few days or the journey to the Klingon Empire should take decades. And who made up the symbol for the Jem'Hadar (which should read "Dominion")?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the original Earth-Romulan Wars would have required Transwarp drive.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A agree with a lot of the comments here. Even though this has appeared another thread, this was a chart I created a while ago based on my interpretation of local space. But no matter how many maps there are, in no cases will everyone agree - eg, there's plenty about my map I'm not entirely happy with -

http://www.trekmania.net/science/gal5.jpg

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Dominion space is labelled "Dominion". It's just the one planet that's labelled "Jem'Hadar".
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps