Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » ANOTHER Galactic Map... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: ANOTHER Galactic Map...
crobato
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stories are never made with any consideration with cartography. Trying to create a map based on the canon dialog/script evidence would lead to absolute nonsense. After all, in Star Trek V, the Enterprise A got to the Galactic core in one movie, while the much more advanced Voyager has to take seven years of TV to even get nowhere close.
IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why most people recognize ST5 to be a piece of crap, at least as far as the technical side of things goes. After all, if be believe it, the E-A had its decks numbered from bottom to top, and there were over seventy of them.
crobato
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the point is what, that ST5 is incorrect and Voyager is correct? Frankly I think that Voyager's assumption in the length of travel is quite ridiculous. By normal Trek standards, it should take them at 3 years at most to reach the Galactic center to the central point where the Alpha quadrant would begin.

Note that some people here already say that the Fed and various empire space is too small. (The Fed has something like 8,000 light years in area). Yet there are others who contradict themselves by saying that you need transwarp to surmount the distances viewed. If empires or the Federation were any bigger, you would need transwarp just to effectively govern the area. And yet if you wish to reconcile the views, everything has to be roughly lumped into a small slice of the galaxy---the Cardassian U, the Klingon Empire, Romulan Empire, Fed---and the end result will make them all look like small minor players fighting for a tiny pie of the galaxy instead of the fate of two whole galactic quadrants (to totally de-epic the scale of the setting).

[ June 24, 2001: Message edited by: crobato ]

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen anyone claim the Federation is too small. (Too small for what?)
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one can go through the center. Well, they CAN, but they won't LIVE.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...But the Enterprise did spend ten days in the 'so believed' centre of the galaxy in The Nth Degree.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NEAR the center of the galaxy. The problem is the fact that Shapley noted the HUGE amounts of radiation emanating from the galactic center, so much that any organism headed there would be long dead far before reaching the midpoint.

Something to steer clear of, indeed.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, several things:

1. Yeah, that map is the biggest, piece of crap.

2. I mean a quick search on the net would find our endless hours of discussion on this subject.

3. That is criminal to replace the Dominion Logo

4. It's not "The Jem'Hadar" it's "The Dominion"

4. It's not the "Dominon Alliance" nor the "Federation Alliance"

5. Minor pick - that's the TOS version of the Klingon Empire Logo. MOVIES/TNG onwards it's red.

6. It's just the Klingon Empire

7. Yes, too much space, too spread out, relative sizes just wrong.

8. The whole problem with these maps is having 'boarders' and '2 dimensions' - my recent rough maps have been depiciting the areas as totally intermingled - to a point - mainly with the Klingons and Romulans with their many border wars... and lots of wholes - cause I don't reckon that interstellar space would be easy to claim if there are only one or two systems near by... I believe that if there was like a group of 9 systems, then it would much easier to say 'hey everything between these worlds is Federation space' So many more gaps and wholes are needed in maps as you get further out from 'core worlds'

9. The show the Starfleet symbol instead of The Federation logo.

10. Just for the record

The United Federation of Planets
The Klingon Empire
The Romulan Star Empire
The Cardassian Union
The Ferengi Alliance
The Tholian Assembly
The Sheliak Corporate
The Dominion
The Borg Collective or just (the Borg are here stay the fuck away)

The Gorn (Hegemony)*not official*

11. Idran is not that far away from Dominion Space

12. Re The centre of the galaxy and The Great Barrier... my theory is that the 'Great Barrier' may lay toward the centre of the Milky Way from the Fed's Klingon's and Romulans but its not the EXACT centre... its a veil or curtain or... BARRIER that is towards the centre... Only after TFF, did the anyone from the Fed area of space happen to get past it. This 'bubble' that is the Great Barrier might be halway between the Federation and the actual centre of the Galaxy... so making the TFF travel time viable.

OR my other theory, is that from the time that Sybok made it on Board the Enterprise - his 'undiciplined' Vulcan mind led everyone on a 'mind' journey - and not an actual physical journey.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or then McCoy's "secret ingredient" sent Kirk and Spock on a "mind journey" during their camping trip, and the movie depicts the events of this journey. The opening scenes before the campfire scene might or might not have taken place in the real universe...

Seriously, forks, I'd like to suggest a thing about Idran that sort of agrees with this silly map. Remember how at first, the wormhole was supposed to go 90,000 ly (in "Emissary"), but this was later amended to 70,000 ("Captive Pursuit" onwards, IIRC)? Hey, perhaps both figures are right. Perhaps the wormhole at first went to Idran, but the Prophets then moved its far end some 20,000 ly to another destination (possibly so that it would allow access to the Dominion and thus let the Emissary meet his destiny - an arrangement the Prophets hadn't thought of before they were awakened to the concept of linear time and encountered the Emissary, whom they then decided to retroactively create).

A moving wormhole end would allow us to dispense with the Idran reference, which places "the closest star to the wormhole mouth" uncomfortably far away. "Whispers" establishes that one can reach other Gamma stars far more rapidly than one could reach Idran. "Destiny" shows us there are tail-trailing comets in the vicinity, meaning there's a star nearby as well. Heck, even "Battle Lines" already suggested one could reach a star system very rapidly.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Bashir pointed out Idran to Kai Opaka when they emerged in the Gamma Quadrant.

Did we see the 'sword of the prophets' before it entered the wormhole? Maybe its proximity to the denorious belt (one would assume that there would be one accompanying the Gamma Quadrant end) of high neutrino emissions might have something to do with the tail...

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The comet had a tail as soon as we got our first glimpse of it - so there had to be a star nearby. Interestingly, the wormhole apparently manifested some kind of a gravitational pull every time it opened, hence it pulled in the comet as well. One wonders if the Alpha end did the same, and how this affected the orbital mechanics of the wormhole/Bajor'baha'el/DS9 system...

Idran was rementioned? Ah, too bad. There goes that explanation. Then again, we could simply say that the probe that originally mapped Idran got the star right but its location grossly wrong - perhaps the probe had hit a wormhole or other anomaly that had propelled it 20,000 ly backward and confused the inertial navigation system or something? Only the Bajoran wormhole allowed the Federation to measure the distance accurately, correcting it from 90,000 ly to the final value as soon as a properly equipped Oberth had gone through and done enough measuring.

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A not unreasonble explanation. It's also possible that the runabout sensors got screwed up by it's first wormhole experiece and measured it wrong. And no-one told Bashir.

"baha'el"

Huh? Wha tha?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The name of Bajor's sun, from the DS9 tech. manual. Source, assuming it has a source outside of the book, is unknown. But it's not all that likely we'll get a different, canon name any time soon, so it seems like a safe one to use.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps