Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Good news about the DS9 Tech Manual ships! (Page 27)

This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28   
Author Topic: Good news about the DS9 Tech Manual ships!
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Bernd is saying he believes that the Miranda weapons pod when scaled up for the Centaur is big enough to act as a small secondary hull with it's own deflector dish. That leaves the shuttlebay/deflector dish on the saucer to be the shuttlebay and not a deflector dish. And he knows the pod can be big enough to hold the torp launcher as well.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always assumed that the 'pod' is a deflector assembly... just because it LOOKS like it has torp launchers doesn't mean they ARE torp launchers... ;o) ... yeah it could have both.

What if the greeblies are the deflector apparatii?

[ March 23, 2002, 03:05: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's what the greeblies were on the Reliant... [Wink]

And I admit I haven't seen "A Time to Stand" in a while, but didn't the Centaur only use phasers against Our Heroes...?

And as long as we're on the subject of this ship, does anyone have the slightest clue what was used for the various greebling on the surface of the Centaur? [Confused]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to disagree with your assertions on the Miranda pod. I made the top screencap a year ago when modelling a Miranda mesh, I wanted to get the pod right. The front is the same as the back -it has both forward and aft torpedo launchers on the pod. The lower picture shows the Reliant firing a Torpedo from the aft launcher, located on the pod.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duh. We're not talking about the front and back -- we're talking about the top. Look in the right-hand column of this:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/brattain1.jpg

It, and the two on the saucer -- as seen here:

http://home.arcor.de/spike730/starfleet_ships/canon/pics/reliant.jpg

...are the same as the three thingies flanking the dish on the refit Enterrpise, which are updated versions of the boxes around the sensor dish on the TOS Enterprise, which Matt Jeffries called out as "navigational deflectors", as distinct from the dish, which he called out as the "main sensor". Far too often in later works, the two are merged because the lines were pointing at almost the same part of the ship. Andy Probert was working from Jeffries notes when he redesigned these things for the TMP Enterprise model, and Joe Jennings and Mike Minor carried them over to the Reliant.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was replying to AndrewR, -read his post. I only highlighted that the pod definitely did have torpedo launchers.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm certain that the Centaur fired a few torpedoes at Sisko's Jem'Hadar ship. They seemed to "drop" from the central/aft pod before shooting forward -- although that may have just been a trick of the shooting angles.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yeah... ok - but maybe they're still the same shape but they've installed deflectors!?! - OK farfetched I know. At least my reply got Peregrinus' reply with those pics. So do we know if the Centaur had that added deflector assembly?

As for the deflectors surrounding the 'dish' this makes sense in say "Scorpion Parts 1 and 2" where the beams come from around the dish not directly from the dish don't they - to open an access point to fluidic space. I'd say the deflector would do this before the 'sensor/communications' dish would?

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Micromaniac
Member # 546

- posted      Profile for Micromaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright does anyone know of a 1/250 scale F14 Tomcat around - with this I can make a microversion of the Elkins using the mico Voyager.
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Micromaniac:
Alright does anyone know of a 1/250 scale F14 Tomcat around - with this I can make a microversion of the Elkins using the mico Voyager.

I have an F-14 Tomcat I found on the playground in elementary school . . . it's about an inch long. The proportions aren't perfect at all, but it could probably suffice for the Micro Machine Voyager.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My though was as follows:
If the Centaur is Miranda-sized, we may want to be the pod and rollbar/pylon to be the same as on the Miranda. The rollbar, however, would now act to hold the main plasma conduits. I don't think that accidentally the old rollbar would exactly fit into this new role. Moreover, I don't think that it would be useful to route the PTCs through the launcher. As the pylons and maybe the launcher are different than on the Miranda anyway (also because of the many additional details on it), we could as well postulate that the whole thing is larger. Similar considerations apply to the bridge.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I threw together a couple of re-arrangements of the Constitution-refit-variant:

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/444/Polaris-Front.png
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/444/Polaris-Top.png

(Sorry, didn't bother to change the registry number in the top view.)

This also constitutes my test of the new Flare Upload Service.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flare Upload Service...FUS...hmmm... [Big Grin]

As to the Centaur, if the ship is a scout, perhaps all those greeblies on the underside (and possibly the copper bits on top) are sensor arrays/equipment?

Also, in the episode featuring the Centaur, I believe she did not fire torpedoes. Can anyone confirm (they don't show DS9 in my area anymore)?

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With an absense of anything better to do yesterday, I rewatched both "A Time to Stand" and "Rocks and Shoals". And yes, the Centaur most certainly fires a torpedo. It's when they are still at warp. Anyway, the torpedo comes from the underside of the ship but I couldn't tell for sure if it's from the pod (although it's most probable).

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I threw together a couple of re-arrangements of the Constitution-refit-variant:

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/444/Polaris-Front.png
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/444/Polaris-Top.png

(Sorry, didn't bother to change the registry number in the top view.)

This also constitutes my test of the new Flare Upload Service.

Easily remedied.
  This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps