Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Good news about the DS9 Tech Manual ships! (Page 25)

This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28   
Author Topic: Good news about the DS9 Tech Manual ships!
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drew the ship without battle damage, but i included some hull discoloration (much as the Encyclopedia diagrams of the Constitution class include some of the discoloration that Miarecki added to the original 1701 for the Smithsonian). To tell you the truth, without the scoring it looks pretty much like the original version, so I left it all on.
capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

and the top view is finished

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In one of DS9's sixth season episodes, "The Sound of Her Voice" showed the wreckage of the U.S.S. Olympia, crashed on a planet. However, it was very hard to make the ship out in the scene. Do you have any idea what parts the wreckage was made from?

I think it has been pointed out a few times already that the Olympia wreck was a reuse of the STIII wrecked Enterprise and some other standard debris stuff (some S.S. Vico parts, according to some).

http://flare.solareclipse.net/cgi2/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001278

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike: What program did you use to draw that? It doesn't seem to handle round lines very well...
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that's caused by the program. The lines I draw use to be very blocky, too. There'S only one thing you can do - make it larger. The originals of my drawing are about 3000x2500 pixels, bmp. I resize them for 'presentation'. That's all. And I think that's the only way to get rid of that problem.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

capped
Member # 709

confession time... Microsoft Paint.. the one that comes with windows.. we had a major blizzard here and thats how i killed an afternoon in school... when i resize it down further to fit on screens, however, the curves even out.. it looked even worse at the original size (around 2000px), but shrinking solves all that..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great images, Captain Mike!

I think I will show them at EAS, if you like me to.

BTW, I made a terrible mistake when I scaled the Miranda parts for the Centaur. They actually matched the true size of the Miranda relative to the Excelsior, but not that of the two plastic models (I measured the relative nacelle sizes, but for some reason didn't use them). Anyway, here is the totally revised Centaur. Please delete the old one!

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/centaur.jpg

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

capped
Member # 709

I would be honored to see my picture on your page :-D .. a hyperlink back to http://www.captainmike.org would be awesome as well, and feel free to attach my e-mail, [email protected]

:-D

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a rather sloppy re-touch of the Raging Queen sideview. The aft dome-thingee is rough, but I tried. If someone wants to fix it, I'd be pleased... [Roll Eyes]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgive me my ignorance master but, how is the saucer section of the Raging Queen connected to the hull??? Just by this littles aft bridges???

BTW, this little bridges are parts of the AMT/Ertl Runabout Kit (The parts where the cockpit is connected to the cargo module)

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Centaur thoughts...

If the ship is truly based on an Excelsior saucer (my gut feeling), how many decks tall is the over-sized bridge module?

Also, why could you not fit shuttlepods (not full size shuttles) into the shuttle bay?

Might not hurt to put a different size comparison (compared to an Excelsior) for this ship on the DS9 Lost Ships page...

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.de/articles/ds9tm.htm

Thoughts...
Art

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd's revised Centaur schematic doesn't look to quite match the model. The Miranda bridge piece would be about three decks high, and the line separating the bridge from the navigation dome is just slightly above the top edge of the forward cowling.

Granted, you could fit shuttlepods and workbees in that space if it's a shuttlebay, but having a physical model to roll around and look at from all angles, it looks better as a deflector... Besides, I use the Enterprise-B saucer, so I've already got shuttlebays. [Big Grin]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Granted, you could fit shuttlepods and workbees in that space if it's a shuttlebay, but having a physical model to roll around and look at from all angles, it looks better as a deflector... Besides, I use the Enterprise-B saucer, so I've already got shuttlebays.
Or additional impulse engines depending what you buy into... 8^)

Art

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry: Yes, I remember reading the discussion about the Olympia. After reading it again, I see that there really wasn't any conclusive evidence whatsoever about what was used, other than what people "thought" they saw. I just figured that someone official like Drexler or Hutzel could give us better information, or possibly even photos that look better than the rain & cloud filled screencaps.

Here's my take on the Centaur (yet again): It's a perfect candidate for the Rennaissance class. Using Bernd's theory that the ship is actually scaled to the Miranda weapons pod & bridge (making the ship smaller than the Miranda), we can make assumptions based on the description of the Rennie class Aries. The Aries was described as a small scout ship. It's registry number is in the 4XXXX's. It has at least one shuttlepod, so there's the need for a shuttlebay. The last one was built in 2337. Only the Hokkaido had ASRV's.

All of these factors match the Centaur. It's a small ship (since the flyby between it and the Jem'Hadar fighter showed it to be roughly the same size). It's registry is in the 4XXXX's. It has a shuttlebay at least as large enough to accomodate one shuttlepod. Since no more Rennie's were built after 2337, the Excelsior/Miranda technology was probably at it's peak. Since no ASRV's can be seen on the ship, it probably has either the standard Exclesior-type escape pods (whatever those look like), or no escape pods at all.

Yes, I realize I'm pulling at straws here. But I thought it was a good match, based on the evidence we know for the class.

[ March 21, 2002, 15:00: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this isn't really contributing to the discussion, but didn't the TNGTM state that the Hokkaido was the first ship of it's class to be fitted with ASRVs during the construction period or immediately afterwards and some if not all of the rest of her sister ships were later fitted with ASRVs as well?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

This topic comprises 28 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps