Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nemesis Warbird (Massive Spoilers!) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Nemesis Warbird (Massive Spoilers!)
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something I pasted together with my limited Paintshop knowledge:

-

There is a bigger one for that here:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/nightwing/Valdore-Warbird.jpg

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that makes the Valore seem even more black and un-Romulan.

And no one's going to tell me the Warbirds on DS9 had a color that looked anything like the Valore's.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because, as we all know, Romulan warships have never been painted anything but bright green. The BoP from Balance of Terror and the scout vessel from The Defector were of the same tint! Yes.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And no one's going to tell me the Warbirds on DS9 had a color that looked anything like the Valore's.
Are we allowed to tell you that the Romulan ships on DS9 were a different colour to the ones on TNG? And that species are actually allowed to use different colours on their ships?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude.
You say?

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait a minute... the warbirds on DS9 and the scoutship/science vessel weren't colored green(ish)? When did that happen? [Smile]
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ About the time they started using CGI Warbirds. [Smile] They're definitely still green, just a lot darker, like the Valdore.

- From Pedro's Shiporama

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I guessed... I thought I had missed something and DS9 started showing jet-black warbirds. Honestly, though, the mesh as seen on Voyager and in Starship Spotter/Ships of the Line still looked pretty green...

God, I miss the D'deridex already. [Wink]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to space. TNG always looked like there was a big flashlight on all the ships (and in fact they did!) until around 5th season. DS9 was visually always darker than the other shows....to match the overall tone of the show.
We have only seen a total of five Romulan ships before Nemesis, so who is to say what a Romulan ship should look like?
.....although many of the FASA designs were pretty good...Valdore lookslike an updated FASA design to me!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come to think of it, the computer model of the D'deridex was built for "Message in a Bottle," wasn't it?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We have only seen a total of five Romulan ships before Nemesis, so who is to say what a Romulan
ship should look like?"

Arrgh I hate these types of lines (no offence).

Until the opening scene of Encounter at Farpoint, we had only seen 5 Federation ships... but we knew what a Federation starship should look like.

=====

Just reprising what I said in a thread in the General Trek forum...

I decided to have a look at this new ship, when I clicked the link and saw it for the first time... I laughed! LOL!

What a joke, it looks like something culled from a computer game!! Infact worse.

========

DS9 D'Deridex's weren't intentionally painted darker - it's the CGI problem. The CGI models are rendered with less resolution when they are moving (which would be EVERYTIME on a TV show)... it gives less clear pictures and caps (especially).

And to Liam's quip about the Haven ship... I'd rather that over-used ship with the child's lawnmower toy in it than a lot of the crap served up by Eaves.

What happened to the 24th century artistic/futuristic/lovely curved ships. What is with all this 'pointy/spindly stuff'!?!

Love them or hate them These ships say 24th century to me:

The Galaxy family and shuttles
Runabouts
The Intrepid
D'Deridex
Rommie Scout/Science vessel
Ferengi Marauder
Ferengi Pod
Klingon Vorcha
Klingon Negh'var/Voodieh
Defiant
Cardassian Galor and Keldon
Cardassian Hideki
Hope/Olympic
Dominion Bug
Bajoran ship (That Kira commanded)
McKinley station
Terok Nor
Peregrin/Fedfighter/Maquis ships

Maybe:

The Akira
Sovvie
Jemmie Battlecruiser
Jupiter Station
New large Cardassian/Dominion station
Klingon station (Ty'gok'or)

What doesn't:

Rest of FC ships
Lakul
Breen Ship
This new Rommie ship
The Son'a shite
The new Captain's yacht
Data's scout
New Suttle
That Argo ship
The Holodeck ship
Pathfinder array

This "doesn't" list includes the most "gamish" un-artistic, dark, poorly lit, pointy, unfuturistic, fanboish and majorly UNREALISTIC designs on Trek.

Realism people - that's what trek holds for me. I can picture walking the decks of the Enterprise, or making my way onto the bridge of a D'Deridex Warbird... This shite ship shown... looks like something you'd be able to select in level 10 of some Trek computer game. press F10 to target, right click on your mouse, fire. etc.

It's the design, but its also it's realism.

Maybe it has something to do with the thought behind it.

Liam - what I am talking about in reguards to it's "BoP-made-over look" is that it shares LOTS of features with the BoP that - they've tried too hard to use that ship (which has never been officially Romulan) and give it a Romulan makeover. Stick greeblies and spikes coming out of it to make it look so tough and cool (sorry I can't do the Fan-Boi speak/type [Wink] ) and then paint it a different green.

The 'gun area'
The mid-aft bulge section
The neck and head (give a touch of a 'beak')

Think of Romulan ships and you think Fat, Green and arrogant. Look at this ship - you'd think it's a reject from Voyager's "Drive".

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit I don't really like this. Just doesn't look right, not sure why. I agree with Andrew completely (although I do like the Steamrunner).

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What happened to the 24th century artistic/futuristic/lovely curved ships.
We're possibly looking at different ships here, but I'h having trouble seeing how a runabout is "curved" or "artistic". It looks bulky and workman-like to me (which is what it should look like, but still).

quote:
Until the opening scene of Encounter at Farpoint, we had only seen 5 Federation ships... but we knew what a Federation starship should look like.
And if someone had shown us the Defiant after Encounter at Farpoint, people would have had a fit.

I'm not sure where the figure of "5 Romulan ships" has come from. By my count, there's been three. The original BOP, the D'Deridex, and the scout ship. The Klingon D7 cruiser hardly counts.

And out of those three ships, only one is a starship that the Romulans have used in the past 20 years. So really, we only have one ship to use as an example of how the Romulans build their starships.

quote:
DS9 D'Deridex's weren't intentionally painted darker - it's the CGI problem. The CGI models are rendered with less resolution when they are moving (which would be EVERYTIME on a TV show)... it gives less clear pictures and caps (especially).
I'm not sure I agree. I think Jason is right, the darker colours were to better fit in with the mood of the series. Besides, they were darker in "The Die is Cast", and they weren't using CGI ships then.

quote:
Realism people - that's what trek holds for me. I can picture walking the decks of the Enterprise, or making my way onto the bridge of a D'Deridex Warbird.
Really? It's always seemed like a terrible waste of space to me. I like the design, and it's probably an attempt by the Romulans to make a really big ship without having to fill it with stuff, but still, exactly what is in those massive wings?

It doesn't look especially BOP-ish to me anyway. It looks more like the D'Deridex with the bottom half taken off.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I'm not sure where the figure of "5 Romulan ships" has come from. By my count, there's been three. The original BOP, the D'Deridex, and the scout ship. The Klingon D7 cruiser hardly counts.

D'Deridex, BoP, Scout Ship, Science Ship and the Shuttle from DS9. I think the D-7 should count too, since they did use them.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
It doesn't look especially BOP-ish to me anyway. It looks more like the D'Deridex with the bottom half taken off.

I can see similarities with the Klingon BoP. The overall shape, the way the nacelles are canted like the BoP disruptors, the feather pattern on the wings, and a few other minor things. But then this new Warbird reminds me of a few other ships too, especially the Jem'hadar battle cruiser.

The new wide wings look as though the lower half of D'deridex wings have been folded out.

And what's with the nacelles? Other than being too obviously Eavesish, it looks as though each wing has two nacelles - a long spikey one and a short stumpy one next to it.

Looks like a damn big ship anyway.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps