Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nemesis Warbird (Massive Spoilers!) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Nemesis Warbird (Massive Spoilers!)
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm betting the 'stomps' are weapon pods.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with AndrewR on this one completely.
And I'm sure the color thing is due to the CGI - as well as the "I don't give a shit about design"-attitude of TPTB.

In "The Die is Cast" the Warbirds weren't darker at all. Sometimes they were poorly lit, sure, but when they were not you could still see the original color.
I've enhanced the Valore pic in PaintShopPro and it still looks almost pitch black.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the risk of being rude, your personal aesthetic choices do not instantly become universal design rules when you put them on the internet. Lots of people happen to not like many of these "canonical" 24th century ships. (Also, the Lakul? Uh, a ship that was being used 60 years before TNG doesn't look TNG enough? I am confused?) And many people happen to like many of the ships listed as being bad and evil and wrong.

Some of you do not like certain designs. Wow! An amazing revelation! And I am glad of it. This would be a very tedious place if we all liked the same things when it came to starships. But just because you don't like it doesn't make it a rule. Not by a longshot.

Now, as regards the "they wouldn't like it at Farpoint" argument, this I do not understand. When the Romulan warbird showed up we had seen a great whopping two Romulan ships. The warbird looks almost entirely unlike either of them. We know for a fact that Romulan ships are white with a hawk painted on the bottom, for one thing. Where is the continuity? Obviously, Probert is a hack who cares nothing for his work.

Frankly, I'm not bowled over by this new ship either. Mostly because I can only see about a third of the thing from that poorly lit picture. But I am under no illusion that my personal taste is somehow The One True Way.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if that's what they're supposed to be, but do those little light green thingies on the head look like lifepods to anyone else? [Confused]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NightWing:
I'm betting the 'stomps' are weapon pods.

You might very well be right. It's just that the stumps look very similar to the D'deridex nacelles.

Um, your signature, NightWing. Wasn't the line "...the Vulcan woman on Star Trek", not Enterprise? That's the way I remember it anyway.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Vulcan woman on Enterprise."

Definately Enterprise

=============

Reguarding the D'Deridex:

"Really? It's always seemed like a terrible waste of space to me."

Typical Romulan Arrogance I reckon.

==============

The Defiant and the Runabout still look more in line with the idea of "Technology unchained" than something like the bloody Holodeck ship or the scout ship.

And I don't think many would have a fit with the Deffie after farpoint... look at the RELATIVE bizzareness of the Oberth class. The Defiant still has a distinct Federation feel and look. This new Romulan ship looks like a Fan-boi (cool lets put lots of weapons on it and make it fifty times as long as a Galaxy class ship!! - excuse me for not writing in the Fan-boi text that some of you do. [Smile] )

The ship has basically nothing in common with ANY romulan ships that we have seen in the last 36 years. Except that it's green (an incorrect green). It has a warbirdish 'beak'. It looks - at the risk of repeating myself - more like they've taken the Klingon BoP model (seen in like 5/9 movies) and added Eaves-esque nacelles, and smoothed out the aft/central/dorsal 'pod' area... it's even got the two just distal of mid-line rectangles that emerged either side of the old Klingon BoP red impulse/engine thing. (I'd like to see what that area looks like on this thing)

Then they've added a Warbird Beak and a few windows.

Now, I wonder what this Reman ship will end up looking like.

Andrew

P.S. Please lets have these huge ships act like gigantic captial ships and not have them buzzing around like the Defiant/Jemmie Bug/Fighter etc.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two "distal midline rectangles" are on the Dierdrex Warbird too: at the bottom junction for the "head" (if we are talking about the same thing). I always thought those were giant shuttlebays....where else could shuttlebays be on the TNG Warbird?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wonder how all these extremely wide and flat ships will fit on the screen. Sure, the silver screen itself is wide and flat. But there's still only so much you can do with formations and maneuvering when your ships are shaped like that, and forced to fly in the same horizontal plane and in the same orientation. The screen will get very crowded very soon.

With the two broad and flat Son'a ships, they did some nice "staggered formations". And the ships nicely "hovered over" the poor E-E during the first big flyby scene where Son'a reinforcements arrive over Baku. But "hovering over", while menacing, doesn't work as a snazzy combat maneuver. And having the enemy ships staggered makes it look as if they'd collide with each other any minute.

And the long and narrow E-E is the one they make do a roll? That's a sensible maneuver, but visually not all that impressive. An end-over-end thing like the Discovery in "2010" would fit that ship better...

In contrast, one of these bird-ships could do a very nice roll, but would look comical flipping like the BoP did in "Way of the Warrior." The birdlike nature almost forces it to maneuver like an aircraft, which ain't all that cool.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The new warbird seems to be at least 50% larger than the old TNG one. In the article that the pic came from mentions that Picard has to zoom out to see the entire ship.
I just read this again... this is just an opinion isn't it... cause this ship being bigger than a D'Deridex doesn't gel with me. Comparing windows.

Just because Picard has to zoom out...

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does anyone quote the 115 decks, twice the Enterprise-size thing? The official site gives these statistics for the D'Deridex. Below, you find information about the new Reman ship ("unknown origin blah blah") and about new types of Romulan ships, reports identified them as "modification of the standard warbird and ships of totally new design".

SS gives the 115 decks, IIRC, and the twice the size-stat is commonly known trivia. The new ship could be half the size of the D'deridex. Maybe Picard awaited a scout ship? [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I don't know where the 115 decks x2 Galaxy class comment came from. I think it might be from a diagram Probert did in season 1??

My theory goes that There are two sizes of "TNG Rommie Warbirds"

"A-Type" pretty much only seen in The Neutral Zone (to give the Feds a big shock) and "Contagion" (again as a posturing tool this time to counter a Fed incursion threat)

"B-Type" The D'Deridex class... The Smaller version pretty much seen in The Defector, Tin Man (especially the size difference in this episode is really evident). And probably most DS9 episodes and Voyager episode. (Message In A Bottle).

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do know that Probert intended the D'deridex to be 4400' (1341m) long and that size was used in "The Neutral Zone". It seems that later the VFX guys decided the ship looked too big and took it down to around 1km length (where it seemingly stayed).

I still don't like the idea of there being two different size TNG Warbirds. It's stupid. Just as stupid as the B'rel/K'vort nonsense.

Anyway, I like the Valdore. I do feel that it is faithful to the Romulan ship lignage. And best of all is that it actually looks menacing. I mean I like the D'deridex-class, it's one of my all time favourites, but it looks pathetically cuddly when compared to this new Bird.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 115 decks stuff is from the Nemesis site, but is about the regular D'Deridex.

It also says 1280 meters in there.

There is no dimensional info about the Valdore.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
The ship has basically nothing in common with ANY romulan ships that we have seen in the last 36 years. Except that it's green (an incorrect green). It has a warbirdish 'beak'. It looks - at the risk of repeating myself - more like they've taken the Klingon BoP model (seen in like 5/9 movies) and added Eaves-esque nacelles, and smoothed out the aft/central/dorsal 'pod' area... it's even got the two just distal of mid-line rectangles that emerged either side of the old Klingon BoP red impulse/engine thing. (I'd like to see what that area looks like on this thing)

I find it quite amusing that this is a complaint for you, considering that the "Klingon" Bird-of-Prey was designed to be a ROMULAN vessel... [Smile]

I think both the Valdore and the Scimitar look pretty damn good. So nyah! [Razz]

-FtK  -

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody got a decent pic of the Scimitar? Alot of people seem not to like the design, but I have yet to see a good shot of the ship and unlike the Valdore, paramount is not showing us pics. [Confused]
The best screen capture I've found of scimitar is over at the Ex Astris Scientia site and that is partially cloaked.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps