Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ship list Nemesis ($) Revealed (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Ship list Nemesis ($) Revealed
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shipbuilder:
Had to go back and look at that..I was thinking the Challenger was 70199..but its 71099. That does bring up a good point though, something must've happened during the initial build that slipped the schedule to where she was relegated to be one of the six spares.

If the registries are roughly chronological, I wouldn't think you would start a ship and then decide to use it as a spare. Maybe it was more a homage to the real Shuttle Challenger than we think. OV-99 was initially built as a structural test article and was never intended to be a space-capable orbiter. When funds got tight, NASA decided to rework the structural frame into a usuable vehicle, since the loads applied didn't come close to exceeding any of the designed limits. Could be what happened here. Maybe it was a test article....wouldn't have to be an entire ship either...could be just framework sections that were later used as a final Galaxy Class ship.

This could tie in well with the theory that the Nova was originally apart of the earlier stages of the Defiant project.
Perhaps 3 prototype hulls were built for testing but were put into mothballs when it was decided that the Defiant should be a more compact single hulled design.
Later when the design was taken on by the Nova-Class team, one of the three test hulls were completed (NCC-73515) it was dubbed the Nova and when it proved to be a sucess the other two hulls (NCC-72381 & NCC-72701) were also completed and commissioned as Nova-Class Starships.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we had seen the Nova, it would have been a Nova-class ship for sure, but since we never saw it, it could be anything. I don't think there's any reason to discuss this, either.
Valiant was some sort of hero-ship, being blown away by a much larger Dominion mega-battleship it tried to destroy. To honor the victims, they decided to name another ship Valiant.

I wish we had seen more of this "Archer" though. What do you think is the ship's dedication? "Oh Boy!"? "Screwing continuity since 2151."? Or maybe "I'm quite scared of Klingots."? [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eclipse:
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
And for some reason I keep on picturing the Archer as belonging to the same class as the Centaur.

Too bad the registry is too low for it to be an Akira-class ship! [Razz]
Except that the Centaur wasn't an Akira class vessel. She was some kind of Excelsior variant, with a couple of Miranda-like bits tacked on for good measure.
I know that the Centaur wasn't an Akira-class! [Roll Eyes]

My statement says that it's a shame that the Archer's registry number was too low for us to justify a conjectural designation as an Akira.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:

I wish we had seen more of this "Archer" though. What do you think is the ship's dedication? "Oh Boy!"? "Screwing continuity since 2151."? Or maybe "I'm quite scared of Klingots."? [Smile]

The dedication could have been that famous "gazelle speech" or some speech that opens up with "my dad once said..." or "there's an old Earth saying..."
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YoU aRe SO sTuPiD... dA ArChEr iS An aRChER ClaSS shIP.

....hehe... couldn't resist.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess you're right about moving my thread. I think I was checking if a list of registeries was post in another thread I forgot to go to Starships & Technology.

As I think I said before, I'm glad you find this info useful. I know I'm glad Doug Drexler took the time to answer my email regarding the registeries.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... I can think of someone else the Archer could be named after: prisoner FF8282 [Big Grin] .
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In which case the Archer is a Prometheus-class vessel - contradictory registry, and pretending to be something it's not. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
In which case the Archer is a Prometheus-class vessel - contradictory registry, and pretending to be something it's not. 8)

Wasn't the Prometheus' registry something in the 50s? They decided to start low and go backwards.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if it'd be wise to send a Nova class planetary surveyer into combat, with her limited defensive capability, even if she is with six other full size combatants. Based on the assumption that Starfleet Admirals aren't idiots who recklessly send little ships to their death, I'd have to throw my lot in with those who doesn't think that USS Nova is a Nova class starship.

Of course, there was an Oberth at Wolf 359, so what do I know?

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In both cases, I believe they were present with a plan to use their scientific platforms to help crack the ubertech of the day. And in the case of the Bonestell, by that time the whole fleet was pooched, so she may have been on a suicide run, moving in close to retrieve the Sartoga's escape pods, or some other function that doesn't require firing phasers or torpedoes.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm not sure if it'd be wise to send a Nova class planetary surveyer into combat
You haven't seen "Endgame", have you?
Starship Millennium
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Starship Millennium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Spike... the new Nova could possibly have been the stronger Rhode Island variation we saw in "Endgame." Of course, Nemesis stated that the fleets were cobbled together rather quickly... it's also likely the Nova was out by itself on a survey mission, and joined up with the more powerful ships for protection (remember Riker's "strength in numbers" line?).

Either way, it doesn't seem too far-fetched. Three class ships in the same vicinity does, however, but since they decided to make one the Galaxy I really don't care. [Smile]

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
In both cases, I believe they were present with a plan to use their scientific platforms to help crack the ubertech of the day.

Planetary surveyer doesn't seem like a candidate for those types of missions, since they are planetary surveyers. They're too small and too role-specific for something like analyzing an ubertech warship on the run.

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
You haven't seen "Endgame", have you?

I wish I haven't. Remind me, just how many years is "Endgame" in the future? How many years did Starfleet have to tinker with their super anti-Borg technology? For crying outloud, even a bloody shuttle withstood pounding from 2? 3? Klingon warships, imagine what a larger Starfleet vessel can do. Rhode Island might be an uber Nova, but she's at least 20 years away, in another timeline.

Personally, I'm not totally convinced by my own argument for USS Nova not being a Nova, but I thought I'd shoot holes in the counter arguments anyways, just to waste some time.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My same question still remains:
Why does ANYONE think the Nova is a Nova? Why assume something that there is no evidence for and which hasn't even been suggested by ANYONE except people here on this board?

The only thing on that screen besides the name is a registry, and that registry does not suggest the ship as a Nova-class vessel in particular, so I ask again WHAT IS THE OBSESSION WITH CALLING THE SHIP A NOVA??? [Confused]

There's no more need for arguments as to why the ship could or couldn't be a Nova than there is a need for arguments as to why or why not Scotty could have been half-Betazoid! It's simply a non-issue. There was no class given for the ship in the movie, or by any backstage source. The most that can be said is that the ship is not the class prototype of the Nova-class. As to whether it was another Nova-class ship named after it? Sure, it could be. But it's ludicrous to claim that it is simply because it's not impossible. What are we doing here, writing fan fiction or discussing what we saw in the movie?

-MMoM [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps