Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ship list Nemesis ($) Revealed (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Ship list Nemesis ($) Revealed
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
And, by the way, can someone please fill me in on why the Yeager isn't official anymore? Because I've always been under the impression that it was. Did I miss a meeting or something?

Yeah, me too! I thought we found out from one of the production crew that the Intrepid variant seen orbiting the station was a Yeager Class but had no idea of the name and only after that did we get the studio miniature pics that revealed the name of the model was USS Yeager.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, sort of. I think what happened was that some guy asked a production person on a newsgroup about what class the mystery ship was. This production person probably knew that the ship was labeled "U.S.S. Yeager" and just told the guy that it was a Yeager class ship. However, when we actually saw the studio model and its name up close, it was apparent that only the ship's name was Yeager, not the class.
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
However, when we actually saw the studio model and its name up close, it was apparent that only the ship's name was Yeager, not the class.

That's not the conclusive part, though. If indeed it is the class ship, and has been through its shakedown and trial runs, then it would be an NCC number and no longer an NX. The same is true for the USS Excelsior NCC-2000 and USS Galaxy NCC-70637; we may be seeing the Yeager Class USS Yeager after the registry change.

--------------------
Stephen L.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but it's by no means definite.. it COULD be Yeager-class, but then again, the class COULD be any other name.. the only thing thats definite is that the name of the ship is known.
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going to another ship listed in the group, I was watching "The Icarus Factor" the other day and the close-captioning called Riker's new command the Ares. I found a script online that also called it the Ares not the Aries.
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see this Nova not as the class ship for the Nova Class; rather, I see her as a replacement.

USS Ares could work. She could be named after the Ares series of manned Mars probes.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC the DVD subtitles of that episode called it "Aries".

Subtitles and script of "Second Chances" also called it "Aries".

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And both the Starfleet Operations and Tachyon Detection Grid computer displays (not to mention the Encyclopedia, which claims the ship was named as an homage to 2001: A Space Odyssey, as well was for the astrologically significant constellation) spell it Aries.

And yes, the thing about the Yeager was that when whoever it was who spoke with the VFX guys spoke with the VFX guys and learned the designation for the ship was Yeager, that was interpreted as meaning the class of the ship, but then the model photos showed that it was in fact the actual name of the individual ship. So, as CaptainMike said, there's nothing PREVENTING the ship from being Yeager-class as well, but that part's not official. (The only official designation given for the ship in any source is the fairly lame "Intrepid-class Starship Variant" moniker in the DS9TM.)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's remember that originally, we hated the idea of a Yeager class because we knew that a Saber class vessel bore the name USS Yeager in "First Contact".

Now that we know the registry of the Intrepid-lookalike from DS9 (NCC-65whatever), and also the registry of the Saber class ship (NCC-61whatever), we would probably be best off saying that the Saber ship was lost and the DS9 ship named in her honor. It would still be strange that a new post-"FC" ship would get a 65000-range registry, though. But the DS9 ship could be a Yeager class vessel then, without enraging the people who don't like ships outside an established class to carry the class name. And any pre-"FC" appearance of the DS9 ship could be said to be by a sister ship and not by the Yeager.

If we don't accept this "logic", and rather want to keep TNG registries chronological, then we have to accept the simultaneous existence of two Yeagers, one of them possibly but not necessarily of Yeager class.

To preserve the strictest possible fanboy criteria (chronological regos, no two ships with the same name, no ships named after an operational class, yet both sets of backstage pics are "for real"), we'd have to say that the name of one of the ships was changed in mid-life. That is, the name of the DS9 ship. Which would be an odd thing to do to a class ship, thus undermining the theory of a Yeager class.

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sabre one was 61947 - I don't sem to have the other one in my shiplist at all.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Is that sig from Black Books?

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

SoundEffect
Member # 926

I don't have a problem with some registries being out of sequence. I accept that the Saber Class Yeager was likely destroyed in the Borg battle, and that the other Yeager was built sometime later in honor of the first one. I accept that Prometheus can have a low registry for its time. I can even accept that the USS Nova could possibly have a slightly higher registry than a couple of the ships made after her.

We have no canon idea of how registries are assigned or decided upon. What is observed is that registry numbers usually, but not strictly, chronologically increase.

--------------------
Stephen L.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
...no ships named after an operational class...

This is what I was asking/ranting about earlier. Where the HELL did this come from? Are you trying to tell me that if there was a U.S.S. Stevenson, class prototype of the Stevenson-class, that was destroyed, and then I wanted to name a newbuilt Dafoe-class vessel Stevenson after the destroyed ship, I couldn't do it? I don't follow that logic, or don't agree with it at any rate.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
We have no canon idea of how registries are assigned or decided upon. What is observed is that registry numbers usually, but not strictly, chronologically increase.

Finally some sense!
There is no good reason why the Promethus had a lower registry than the Defiant or why the Nova has a lower registry than the Equinox.....
My only guess is that the registry and name system may region specific: some shipyards in the federation may use a slightly diffrent numbering system for their NX classes, with some classified shipyards building new tech ships like prommie having their own system.
The increased security might account for there being two starships named Yeager.
One was the new Sabre class built in relative secrecy and the other was the "Yeager" one off kitbash ship that patrolls the Bajoran system. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

I could see good reason why the Prometheus would have such a low registry number, since it's a ship that could have been in development for a long period of time. (Same deal with the Excelsior.)

But I couldn't see any good reason for a prototype to have a HIGHER registry than its class members. (Yes, FJ's system of numbering for the Connies is looking better and better to me! [Razz] ) Although Boris' theory makes a measure of sense. I would still, however, advocate the simpler explanation that the NEM Nova is the successor to the Nova-class prototype.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps