Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ship list Nemesis ($) Revealed (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Ship list Nemesis ($) Revealed
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the Nova and defiant could have still been testbeds for new systems/technology long after the ships were considered viable and safe for general production.
The Nova could have been updated like the Rhode Island after several ships were built in the original configuration (like Equinox).
This would account for a higher registry if the ship was re-numbered after final upgrades were made.
I believe the Defiant still had her "NX" even after we saw several other Defiant class ships in "A Call to Arms". [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dax: Yes. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we've all overlooked the fact that possibly Equinox falls into the same category as Constellation and Challenger, ships that have registries that predate their class prototype. doesnt bother me to leave it like that either, its less complicated than the last six pages or so.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, it sure beats the hell out of another Nemesis thread!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're talking about the Galaxy-class Challenger from "Timeless", that was NCC-71099 -- that fits the bill by coming after NCC-70637. [Razz]

As for the Prometheus: my personal theory is that since the Prometheus had such special capabilities it was classified, and for whatever reason Starfleet Intelligence decided to paint the hull with a fake registry number (and name the ship after an existing ship, the Nebula-class Prometheus) in order to try to confuse any enemy spies.

Don't all of the official Trek Tech articles include comments about deliberate misinformation these days? [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Galaxy - 70637
Challenger - 71099

And for reference:
Yamato - 71807
Odyssey - 71832
Venture - 71854

There isn't a problem with the registries here. The only problem is that we had previously thought we'd seen all of the original six Galaxies, and that the Enterprise was third. Given that neither supposition is cannonically true, there ain't nothing wrong.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
o right.. i'm sorry.. the Galaxy I was thinknig about was the U.S.S. Ronald D. Moore.. which is a stretch by any means of canon

but the fact remains, that the registry system doesnt always stick to itself chronologically,and if it did, well, we'd have no way to explain any mistakes we saw (except possibly by admitting that it was all made up for a TV show)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Ronald D. Moore?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
Member # 709

http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001587;p=1

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an incredible stretch but perhaps the Ronald D Moore was originally a Nebula that was upgraded/converted/refit to a Galaxy.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the Challenger.. I believe in the story that the TNG TM gives, Galaxy, Yamato, then Enterprise-D were the first three ships completed. Challenger was the first of the ships that were taken to near completion then stopped. Why the Challenger was delayed to this point really can't be answered.

I still don't believe in the 5**** number from the Prometheus.

I still don't think there is any evidence to suggest that the Nova is the Nova NX, or even a Nova Class ship.

As for the Yeager, do we really know if it was the Yeager from on screen evidence? There are times when we just have to drop one reference for another... whether that be the bash or the Sabre. I don't mind two ships with the same name... I do mind taking the Bash's NCC as canon-- I feel that most of those ships were unnamed and unregistered for the most part anything painted on their hull was by the crew [the name] or for confusion [the NCC of an older ship was painted on the hull so that the Cards and Doms scratched their heads for a moment when they tried to research it in their databanks].

You guys really seem to be reading too much into VFX mistakes or in-jokes. I wouldn't concern myself too much with the DS9 bashes, Challenger is easily explained with the available evidence, Prometheus is a VFX mistake... shall we get over it now [Smile]

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PS: And we have no idea what class the Nova is.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dax:
It's an incredible stretch but perhaps the Ronald D Moore was originally a Nebula that was upgraded/converted/refit to a Galaxy.

Or maybe it was just, as Hutzel said, created specifically for the calendar and is not canon... [Smile]
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I've said before, it's most likely that the Challenger was one of the original six that were built only to the spaceframe stage and stored elsewhere for later completion when they were needed (such as the Klingon and Dominion Wars or the Borg).

As for the Ronald D. Moore, if I were to add it to a shiplist as a real Starfleet ship I would say she began construction as a Nebula, but was halted in the spaceframe stage when Starfleet decided to convert her into a Galaxy class as one of the six unfinished ships. Construction resumed at around the same time when they started on NCC-71099 again. The other four ships were to follow... them being Magellan, Musashi, Sarek, and Sentinel. (And yes, I'm assuming those ships from my own opinions)

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

capped
Member # 709

does it make everyone's brain hurt too much to think the Challenger could have been built after the Galaxy, Yamato and Enterprise and then assigned an earlier number because registries aren't completely sequential!?!? Just wondering. [Razz]

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps