Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Staffing Requirements (Page 2)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Staffing Requirements
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suuuure.
Look at him in those old Buick commercials: no chest there.
I bet he's got it in his closet for when he wants to impress the ladies. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...gives a whole new perspective when I watch Kirk scream, "KHANNNNNNN!" again.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the galley staff are part of damage control teams? stuffing chickens into blown bulkheads or rewireing eps relays with that night's pasta?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, I am strongly of the opinion that the Enterprise in TWOK had been retrofitted with a manual-loading system as part of her function as a training vessel. I'd wager serving ships pre and post all had automated systems a la what we saw in TUC. Training vessels' functions aren't so much about the technology. That's what the classrooms and simulators are for. They're about building teamwork and the ability to function within a chain of command. The U.S. Coast Guard's Eagle is a good example. No USCG cutter that I've seen has sails, but working the rigging is part of serving on this ship...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
When people in the military aren't doing their job, they're training to do their job.

Ummmm, sure....that or reading Flare.

(Hurrys and gets back to work, before the taxpayers notice) [Wink]

--------------------
Twee bieren tevreden, zullen mijn vriend betalen.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Suuuure.
Look at him in those old Buick commercials: no chest there.
I bet he's got it in his closet for when he wants to impress the ladies. [Big Grin]

Welllll, anyone who lifts weights knowns the bulk comes and goes depending on how much you work out. And ol Ricardo DID have a chest back in the day: Genetic Superchest

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
FWIW, I am strongly of the opinion that the Enterprise in TWOK had been retrofitted with a manual-loading system as part of her function as a training vessel. I'd wager serving ships pre and post all had automated systems a la what we saw in TUC.

I'd like to think that all torpedoe launchers have a manual loading system, for when the auto-load is on the fritz. It's just common sense. Although, not that much of loading a photon torpedoe can be done "manually": the casing's too heavy to be practically manhandled, and I doubt there are hand pumps for reactant injection...
MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone, for all the ideas and suggestions. It's nice to be able to call on some surrogate brainstormers when I'm stuck.

And any tangent that leads to Ricardo Montalban's chest is one I can live with. [Smile]

I especially like Sol's post about regular training. And I agree with David about the need for manned crews in case the automation goes down. Maybe that's why there was a 'phaser room' in "Balance Of Terror"--the bridge weapon controls were down for maintainance that day.

I rather doubt Starfleet ships depend entirely on cross-trained geologists and botanists for damage control or weapons stations, but it'd be nice to have them in reserve. And come to think of it, I vaguely remember Spock doing a lot of crawing into the wiring whenever something went wrong on the bridge.

Marian

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, geologists and botanists and so forth probably spend a lot of time studying survey reports and specimens from the hundreds of planets the Federation had encountered where they need to be kept up to date with that stuff.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allright heres the skinny, on my last US Navy ship when their was immminant danger or something the ship went to General Quarters, which is similar to Red Alert. The ship was closed to outside air and every door, hatch, and scuttle was closed to watertight intergrity. The damage control teams manned up the repair lockers and waited there in full firefighting ensemble. When word got around the ship was hit, they investigated and put out the fires. Everyone else went to the assigned battle station, manning radars, 50 cal machine guns, the flight deck to launch planes if needed, the bridge, engineering spaces, damage control central, wherever. Those of us who didnt have an assigned station usually sat in our workcenters "training" (reading, watching movies, sleeping) The US navy has a set job for damage control, ie Damage Controlman. But the damage control teams during battle stations are made up of people from various occupations on the ship. I was an ordnanceman but for a year I was number 2 nozzleman at Repair Locker 2 which was the middle of the ship. When the ship wasnt at battle stations I was doing my other duties in my workcenter. So I hope that answers your question.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I am still trying to figure out why the price of rice in China is important to people....

Yes, most positions for the EMs, and some others, are multi task jobs....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Intruder1701:
So I hope that answers your question.

Actually, it confuses me even more. [Smile]

If the Navy does have a set job of Damage Controlman, then why is it that "the damage control teams during battle stations are made up of people from various occupations on the ship," and not Damage Controlmen? And what does the Damage Controlman do when not controlling damage? Practice?

I'm glad you joined the conversation, though; you're one of the people I had in mind when I posted the thread, and I'm now going to jump all over you with questions. What is a repair locker? Does it hold firefighting equipment? How big is it? Are they scattered all through the ship or concentrated in a specific area?

How did "word get around" that the ship had been damaged? In Weber's Honor Harrington novels, RMN starships have a 'Damaged Control Center' which keeps track of damage reports and tells damage control parties where to go. Do USN ships have something similar?

The TMP Enterprise had a 'Damage And Repair' station on the bridge, but it was manned by a single enlisted crewman, and pretty much unmanned in Star Trek II. Perhaps it was just there to keep the Captain updated, while an actual DCC was somewhere else in the ship.

Except, of course, when the chief engineer is a Main Character--then he does it all! [Smile]

As for transporter rooms, thank's to Sol's idea about training, I guess it's plausible that they're manned all the time. (Maybe they take turns sending each other the thorniest simulated problems they can think of.) In TOS and TMP, transporters usually had two people operating them--a main operator and an assistant. The TMP Enterprise had six(?) regular transporter rooms...so that's what? Say, one PO and one able seaman per room, times three shifts, equals 36 crewmen. Plus at least one junior officer per shift to oversee, with maybe an ensign or a CPO as an exec. Does that sound realistic?

Torpedo rooms maybe wouldn't need to be fully manned all the time. Maybe the entire crew is broken into three skeleton crews, one to stand each watch and get some practice in, and during Red Alert all three groups join together to fully man the station. Based on Star Trek II, let's say it takes six crewmen and two junior officers to fully staff a torpedo room. A standard watch would then have two crewman, who could handle any routine task (like launching a sensor probe), while the officers "floated" around the schedule, running drills and sims (and doing the paperwork). During an emergency the full crew would be on hand to handle jams in the autoloading system or other equipment failure, and (grim as it may sound) insure there's enough people to keep the place running even if they take casualties.

As for damage control, maybe Intruder1701's "Damage Controlmen" lead damage control parties, but the rest of each team is made up of regular crewmen & cross-trained scientists & support services guys. Or the damage contrlmen man a DCC similar to Weber's, and coordinate the teams. The question of how many remains, though. How much of the ship could one team cover?

What do you all think?

The enlisted ranks, incidentally, are based on Bod Fletcher's background notes for ST II-IV, courtesy of Spike's awesome web site. I was able to pause a widescreen DVD copy of Star Trek II and actually see Peter Preston's 'able seaman' rank pin, in the sickbay scene when he reaches up to grasp Kirk's tunic. Naturally (alas), the dialogue and visual FX are not in sync, as he's referred to in dialogue as a midshipman. [Razz]

Fletcher's notes also include a costume for damage control personnel, which appeared in Star Trek II. It's identical to the Engineering rad suit with the wide black collar, except it's orange instead of white.

Marian

MarianLH
Member # 1102

quote:
Originally posted by MarianLH:

How did "word get around" that the ship had been damaged? In Weber's Honor Harrington novels, RMN starships have a 'Damaged Control Center' which keeps track of damage reports and tells damage control parties where to go. Do USN ships have something similar?

Um, that should have been "Damage Control Center." I know could just edit the post, but actually I think it's kind of funny.

OTOH, I am deep in sleep deprivation territory...

Marian

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always wondered about the orange and black collars...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happens if the Damage Control Center is damaged?
Is there a Aux damage Control Center?
...an Aux Aux Damage Control Center?

There has to be de-centralized damage detection sensors throught the ship tied to the main computer and with information relayed to damage control teams (mabye via communicators or Tricorders) during Red Alert.

I'm sure there's several department heads for D.C. but in a extreme crisis, the teams would have to be pretty independant of each other.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps