Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Staffing Requirements (Page 4)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Staffing Requirements
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MarianLH said: "In Weber's Honor Harrington novels, RMN starships have a 'Damaged Control Center' which keeps track of damage reports and tells damage control parties where to go."

Yay, another treecat on the forum!

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, I didn't know that we already had a contigent. Where can I apply? [Wink]

(Go Harrington Treecats! Knock it outta the par--er...never mind. [Wink] )

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarianLH:
Well...Nick Meyer had ship's bells ringing the hours in both films he directed. And they still trot out bosun's pipes for an admiral or a visiting head of state...in both of Meyer's films, again. I'm sensing a theme here...

Did TNG or DS9 ever have bosun's pipes in any episode?
Marian

The flute sounding thing?
I think DS9 had that when Sisko became captain.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Manticore: "lol, I didn't know that we already had a contigent. Where can I apply?"

You actually missed the reference I slipped you at our first meeting?

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did I miss that? [Eek!]

(and for once, someone guessed the origin of my name right! [Razz] )

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, rectal donations? B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Intruder1701:
I did like the page though but there would be some things that I would change.

Me too, though I would very much like to hear what you'd change, given your actual experience.

IMHO, "Alienology" needs to get dumped from the Science Division. I suppose it could be changed to xenology or something, but by any name having an alien studies department strikes me as humanocentric. The Biology Dept. would handle alien plant and animal life without making any kind of "us and them" distinction. Besides, what else are they there for? The off chance of running into a human colony?

I'd also move Logistic Support and General Accounting from Command Division to Ship's Services, and I like Diane Duane's notion that Recreation would be part of the Medical Division.

Some of the entries seem to be for jobs that Starfleet as a whole would have, but wouldn't be found on a starship, like the Colonial Operations and JAG stuff in the Command Division, or Ship Fitters in Engineering. Seabees might be carried on some ships though, in case they need to build temporary shelters on a planet�s surface or something. Or, you know, to build a solar sail when some alien probe whips by and drains all your power...

Having both a security division and marines seems redundant, but thanks to Star Trek V we have department colours for both of them. Do real USN ships have any kind of navy security or MPs, or is it all done by marines? Maybe the blue collar guys in Star Trek V were a special hostage rescue team sent along for the Nimbus III mission.

Marian

PS:

As for treecats, I have no particular love for the manipulative little furballs. Bosuns, on the other hand...in my next life I want to be Sally MacBride. [Smile] Do you think Starfleet ships have bosuns?

Oh yeah, and:

quote:
"Marian- Foamy's wife"
...the fuck?
Nim
Member # 205

You learn quickly...

That should be Beth, Styrofoamman's wife.

Ah, yes, MacBride. Didn't she get an LAC-class named after her, or something?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beth?
I thought we agreed to call her "'becca".
"Becky"?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well after 1996 the USN got rid of the MARDET (Marine Detachment) since our carriers stopped carrying nuclear weapons. Since then our security is handled by a seperate navy rating called Master at Arms. They are run like a regular police force about 20 strong with about 2 augmentees from various departments. I have given thought to Starfleet's Organization as a whole and here is some of the stuff Ive come up with

CSO-Chief of Starfleet Operations he is a the head admiral in charge of everything
JAG
Science
Supply
Starfleet Corps of Engineers-R&D would fall under here
Medical/Dental
Intell
just to name a few

On the page, I wouldnt call it Transportation, I would call it something else, more like propulsion division or something like that
and I would put Gunnery under security or make it a seperate department ( On a carrier they are called G divisions under the Weapons Department, I was in G-1 Flight Deck Ordnance. On smaller ships they are part of Deck Department. So on the page, I would have a deck department with the Gunnery crew for example.

G-1 Phasers, Photon Torpedos, and maybe tractor beams
G-2 Helmsman, Navigation
G-3 Small craft
G-4 Departmental Admin

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think the CiC would be above the CSO.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There wouldnt be a CIC. It would be the CSO and then the President.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that in Star Trek VI there was a CiC. Although if I remember right, the woman actually said C-in-C.

One thing to keep in mind when shoving departments around is that uniform colour codes are based on the chart as-is. For example, if you take Helm out of Engineering, then why is Sulu wearing gold? I can get away with moving Rec to Medical because we've never actually seen any Rec personnel. But the Gunnery officers & crew in Star Trek II definately weren't wearing Windsor Green. (On the other hand, see below.)

There are also some omissions on the chart. Shuttle pilots, for instance. I think Flight Control would be a logical place for it. Also, no mention of sensors. I would change Navigation to Navigation & Sensors, since navigation is the primary purpose of sensors. And since Navigation is part of Science Division, that puts it close to the other main thing sensors gets used for--you know, seeking out new lifeforms & new civilisations and all that.

As for Gunnery, I rather like the idea that weapons are of such secondary importance on a Starfleet ship that they're tucked into another department as an afterthought. In a little bit of fiction I'm writing, I've even gone with the notion that phaser room duty is one of those scut jobs that newly-assigned crew members get stuck with because of their lack of seniority.

OTOH, the one real onscreen error, as far as uniform colours go, that I've been able to find involves Gunnery. According to the chart, Gunnery's an Engineering section, but in the the Kobyashi Maru sim the enlisted rating manning the weapons console was definately wearing gray, not gold. It's harder to tell with the torpedo room crew, because of the Red Alert lighting, but I think they were wearing grey too.

I've been tinkering with the idea of splitting Gunnery into two sections, Ordnance and Fire Control, with the latter being a subset of Navigation & Sensors. Fire control is, after all, one of the things you use sensors for. [Smile] Since N&S is part of Science Division, that would explain why the bridge rating was wearing grey.

Marian

MarianLH
Member # 1102

Addendum: I just watched the "rolling out the guns" scene from Star Trek II again, and I counted two officers and eight enlisted in the torpedo room. One of the latter was up on the balcony.

From what I've been able to find on the web, the firing room crew of a battleship turret consisted of an officer, an NCO, and an unmentioned number of enlisted men. However, all they did was maintain the bores and load the guns; a gun plotting room below was where the turret was aimed and fired. And below that, at the very bottom, was the magazine.

It occurs to me that locating the photorp magazine above the torpedo room wasn't the best of ideas. Not so much because it's above as because it's in the narrow dorsal section where it's exposed to enemy fire. The Excelsior's torpedo system is much improved.

Marian

Intruder1701
Member # 880

You have a point about storing torpedos, speaking of best ideas ask me sometime about storing ordnance during wartime. [Wink]

--------------------

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps