Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Staffing Requirements (Page 7)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Staffing Requirements
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vice Admiral, sorry. You think I'd have gotten over mixing those up by now...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe he is a section 31 operative

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see the connection. Being recruited by S31 doesn't have any bearing on rank.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well as you notice, Sloan was wearing commanders rank everytime he appears to Bashir so maybe Col. West was just posing as one to promote his plan to the president. They are supposed to eliminate threats to the Federation. Maybe he was working in that capacity when he tried to assianate Azetbur and then Lt. Valeris.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naaaa....Kirk and company al knew who Col. West was.
He would've had to actually be a Commander.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, "West" was secretly posing as a colonel while openly wearing a vice admiral's insignia. Very slick, those Section 31 guys.

[Smile]
Marian

Intruder1701
Member # 880

Good way to keep em guessing

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

quote:
Originally posted by Intruder1701:
Well as you notice, Sloan was wearing commanders rank everytime he appears to Bashir --

Zuh? In "Inquisition" he was wearing some funky version of Captain's insignia, and in every other appearance he wasn't wearing a Starfleet uniform at all.

--Jonah

--------------------

Intruder1701
Member # 880

Ok, this next question may not may not be related, but do the enlisted guys go to Starfleet Academy or is there some sort of "Starfleet boot camp"? I noticed that there are other universitys out there other then Starfleet Academy, theres the Vulcan Science Academy and the university on Betazed among others. So that brings me to my next question. Are there other sort of commisioning programs for officers such as ROTC or like we have in the navy Seaman to Admiral where enlisted crewmembers have the oppurtunity to become officers?

--------------------

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek II certainly implied that enlisted people trained alongside officer larva at the Academy, but they also had an attendee who was already a Lieutenant J.G. (Saavik), and confused midshipmen (Academy cadets) with enlisted personnel in the form of Peter Preston.

Most of the time, Star Trek forgets that enlisted people exist, as was discussed earlier in the thread. Even TNG: "Lower Decks" was about junior officers rather than enlisted people. And, of course, then there's the artist formerly known as Lieutenant O'Brien. [Smile]

In short, no, there's no evidence of boot camps, or of OCS programs for enlisted personnel. Feel free to make up your own. One of my stories alludes to an enlisted basic training center at a place called Gallipoli, on Alpha Centauri A-IV. Feel free to borrow it if you like.

Marian

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ok, this next question may not may not be related, but do the enlisted guys go to Starfleet Academy
Yep, in the DS9 episode "Empok Nor" two crewmen appeared who were at the Academy together.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in my fanfic (which isn't--quite--released yet BTW, but it's one of the bigger projects at SCN [Smile] ) we are (or at least I am) are treating ensigns as being relatively high up in the chain of command, with all sorts of NCOs and crewmen. The distinction so far isn't as clear-cut in the works of the other writers, though.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In short, no, there's no evidence of boot camps, or of OCS programs for enlisted personnel.
Then again, there has to be something along that line to account for Yeoman Rand. She was still wearing enlisted insignia in TMP, yet she was definitely in officer country in STVI.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Chief O'Brien has said before that he didn't go to the Academy. He stated in one episode that the day before he was to ship off to a music academy he enlisted in Starfleet and shipped out.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "The Drumhead" Crewman Simon Tarsis said he attended the Academy's "Enlisted Training Program".

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps