Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ BIOLOGUKYLER TERROR Tech! ["The Augments" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ BIOLOGUKYLER TERROR Tech! ["The Augments" Spoilers]
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Woodside Kid:
That's Dayna Devon, host of the syndicated entertainment show Extra.

The one and only Dayna Devon?!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the other one.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two Dayna Devons?! My cup runneth over.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, didn't they mention the whole Botany Bay myth as being 150 years ago, in so much as to tease the 1996 theory?? I'm sure some sort of general time reference was given.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They said 150 years, and it's revealed at the end that the episode date is May 2154. So Khan just left. 8)

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, and The Federation fleet in "Sacrifice of Angels" is EXACTLY 617 ships strong, since Bashir said "They outnumber us two to one".

Leeway, folks, leeway!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
Member # 393

I was being facetious.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Also, I refuse to believe that those grappling ropes are stronger than the hull of a ship.

If they're made of buckyballs, then they probably are much stronger than the hull. When referring to 'losing the grapplers' they were probably referring to the mounts on the ship.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yes, but that's what I mean. Something about the grapplers should have given way long before the whole front half of the nacelle tore apart.

"There are two Dayna Devons?! My cup runneth over."

Before this thread, I didn't even know there was one. I, too, was being facetious.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not buckyballs. Carbon nanotube monofilament lines. But you've got the idea. Those lines would have been made to take a lot of tension load. Even if the mounts were weaker than the lines, they're still designed for tension load. Now, the side of the D5 nacelle was probably not designed for load in that direction. The strongest structure in the world will fail if you apply a load in a way it wasn't designed for.

In any case, that was an extremely cool scene! I liked how they showed the D5's lower turret trying to get a lock on the Enterprise, and couldn't because they'd shoot their own nacelle off. I can just imagine the Klingons in that ship yelling "What the @#$%?" when they suddenly start getting their ship's parts yanked off.

Also, it was cool to see them "flying her to pieces" once more. Whole lotta shakin' goin' on.

B.J.

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But no fire bursting out of weird places in Engineering [Wink]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Lee
Member # 393

And you think my saying "There are two Dayna Devons?! My cup runneth over" was being deadly serious?

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
- The map of the Klingon border was consistent with the usual Star Charts/ST Dimension way of things. Except.. I wonder what the label for the blue area said. It can't be the Federation, and it looks far too big to belong to an Earth with only a dozen capable starships.

And the fact that no source I am aware of has ever given the Orions and Klingons a shared border. According to some episodes, don't they also share one with the Cardassians? Add to that the Romulans and it's getting pretty crowded over there.
quote:
- The Augments still had the Denubulan woman from the shuttle aboard.
Yes, but I'm wondering how exactly this works. When they left C-12 aboard the shuttle the Enterprise scanned them and reported that there were "Augments and one human aboard...Soong." So where was the Denobulan chick? They had brought her to the station (unconscious) with them aboard the shuttle, but we were led to believe by that line that they had left her there. Continuity gaffe! I also don't much care for the fact that in all three of these episodes T'Pol changes catsuits between scenes in which she would seem to have no time or apparent reason to do so.

quote:
- The Klingon Chancellor is called Marek. Or something similar.
M'Rek, according to the closed-captioning.

quote:
- A Klingon escape pod. I forgot who said what regarding those, but we see one here.
Well, at some point somebody *did* say that Klingons didn't believe in them, but Worf was found in one in "Penumbra" (DS9) and Archer used one in "Bounty" (ENT).

quote:
- "Superior ability breeds superior ambition". Wasn't that a line from "Space Seed"?
Yep. According to this episode it was said by one of the Augments' creators, who was later murdered by one of them.

quote:
- So, we basically saw the conception of Data and his siblings in the last few minutes. Who would have thought that Kahn and Data had something in common.
Yeah, this was a little too "cute" but fun nonetheless. By a pleasant coincidence, these episodes offer an in-universe explanation (not that any was ever particularly needed, but still) as to why Data's creator and Khan share the name Noonien. Arik must have named his progeny after the great Augment. (Of course, the real story is that Roddenberry named both characters similarly in an attempt to find an old war buddy. I don't believe he was ever successful.)

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
-Enterprise outguns a BoP three to one? Good thing Duras had three when we last saw him...

Well, if I'm not mistaken, the BoP is a *scout* and the NX-01 is something akin to a *heavy cruiser* so...

quote:
-And there's nothing said that Soong didn't already have kids... Or he'll get out and about at some point later. He's apparently not in prison because of murder, so perhaps he'll be pardonned some day?
And heck, even murderers are pardoned/paroled once in a while, even in this "un-enlightened" age.

quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Anyone catch the name of the Klingon colony that was about to be attacked?

It was Qu'Vat, which was the name of the attack cruiser in "Aquiel" (TNG). It's on the Star Charts, although as I said above their precise configuration is in a fair amount of question now since they don't include the Borderland and have the Briar Patch and Klach D'kel Brakt as separate, etc. (Actually, I'm not quite sure, are we supposed to think Soong's "Briar Patch" is the same as the one from Insurrection? Or is the naming just a coincidence? There certainly didn't seem to be any indication in INS that they were in or near Klingon territory, or even former Klingon territory.)

quote:
As for the Malik scene - it was unexpected, but then again, he didn't seem like one to give up so easily. I would imagine all of those extra buttons he was pushing while Soong was talking to him was for the transporter...I was sort of wondering what he was doing there.

He was obviously preparing to detonate the Genesis device. [Razz]

quote:
Hey, didn't they mention the whole Botany Bay myth as being 150 years ago, in so much as to tease the 1996 theory?? I'm sure some sort of general time reference was given.
Well, yes, they are obviously remaining true to the original timeline as Phlox stated the EW were in the 20th century in "Borderland"; but no, the "150 years" reference was separate from the Botany Bay tale. (Soong said Malik would be "confiming everything they've said about Augments for the past 150 years" if he detonated the bioweapon over the colony.

HE KILLED PERSIS!!!!!!!!!! THE BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MAAAAAAAAAAAAAALIK!!!!!!!!

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-The Denobulette was taken off the shuttle at some point before they got to C-12, yes? I can't remember if she was seen on the set when the shuttle faked its way in? I thought Malik was at the helm.

-Soong's "Briar Patch" need not be the one we see in "Insurrection", though this obviously the intent with Coto's name-dropping mandate this season. The dialogue in "Insurrection" suggests that the name of the place could have been just newly-applied, though it could easily be that when they were exploring the anolmaly someone looked up Arik Soong's report and learned what he called it - or they named THIS Patch Briar because of the similarities.

-I thought production identified Arik Soong as Noonien's grandfather, not father? And I KNOW that it's ony a matter of time that Pocket will have a TOS novel out featuring the middle Soong. Noonien was about ninety according to script.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
Member # 393

Great-grandfather, wasn't it? Mush easier to work into the dates, after all. Noonien died in 2366, I believe, 212 years after this episode. Given the longer lifespans implied - and it seems the Soongs don't get out much even when not incarcerated - I can see two generations between Arik and Noonien but not one.

You see the Denobulette (like it!) lying on the floor when all the Augs are in the shuttle.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps