Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ BIOLOGUKYLER TERROR Tech! ["The Augments" Spoilers] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ BIOLOGUKYLER TERROR Tech! ["The Augments" Spoilers]
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Placeholder. Couldn't resist. [Wink]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah. And here I was in the midddle of my preview, intent on "tecH pagh tecHbe'" in light of all the Klingon tech we'll be getting tonight, plus the fate of our happy family of Augments. Bleh. Just for that, I'm skipping over some of the fun stuff. [Wink]

-New Klingon ship-ish. The preview makes it look like the Raptor we've seen before, but bigger and somewhat inverted.

-More fightin' with the BoP! Look for unorthodox maneuvers and lots of Khan-esque pontificating.

-On that subject, we'll get some Khan namedropping plus some background on what people in this era know of our missing genetic supermen

-And at the end, a cheesy but fitting link to Soong's family future.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Placeholders are lame.
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
- The Briar Patch and Klach D'Kel Brakt are apparantly the same place.

- The existance of the Botany Bay is apparantly just legend in the 22nd Century. Malik brings this up when stating Khan's big mistake was running.

- The final scene onboard the Augment's BoP was so obviously an homage to one of the final scenes onboard the Reliant from Star Trek II.

- The first inklings of what would someday lead to the creation of Data... Creepy. Yeah, we all know how the Soong family's cybernetic research winds up, but Arik's matter-of-fact statement that humanity cannot be perfected and thus artifical life is the way to go... Creepy.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
- Reed suggests modifying the warp signature to match a Bird-of-Prey. Later, Tucker says they now resemble a 'battlecruiser' [Smile]

- Klach D'kel Brakt is the Briar Patch, a nebula resulting from a number of supernovae.

- The map of the Klingon border was consistent with the usual Star Charts/ST Dimension way of things. Except.. I wonder what the label for the blue area said. It can't be the Federation, and it looks far too big to belong to an Earth with only a dozen capable starships.

- The Augments still had the Denubulan woman from the shuttle aboard.

- The Klingon Chancellor is called Marek. Or something similar.

- A Klingon escape pod. I forgot who said what regarding those, but we see one here.

- "Superior ability breeds superior ambition". Wasn't that a line from "Space Seed"?

- That was not a new Klingon ship. It's the D-5. And the NX-01 is no match for it, apparently.

- So, we basically saw the conception of Data and his siblings in the last few minutes. Who would have thought that Kahn and Data had something in common.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was somewhat surprised that Enterprise outgunned a bird of prey so badly. But okay. My remaining question is... when does the guy who's in jail for the rest of his life have kids?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Was out late last night. Sorry guys - priorities [Smile] ]

-Timestamp - May 27, 2154 at the end of the episode.

-Y'know, Archer's new chair really looks like a COMMAND CHAIR. It looks like something that will protect him, and that gives him a commanding presence on the set. Unlike the old one, which reminded me of an ofice desk chair with a PDA on the side (granted with a spiffy popup display and a minor foldout feature that was never used). Depsite beign from "Nemesis", I really think it fits. Now, if only they could replace the other chairs on the bridge with seats that don't look so damned flimsy...

-I've got a feeling that the show went long in the second episode, and the "actual" cliffhanger of Archer having less than a minute would have been the true ending. Lucas and the C-12 crew aren't seen after that. It's a minor gaffe, and as a result Riele had to be credited and paid for one line in this episode. [Wink]

-Speaking of one liners, who was the cute blonde at Engineering station on the bridge in the final battle? Her one line could have been said by anyone else on the bridge. I'm thinking it has something to do with the above point.

-Ahh, okay. It's amazing how rusty I am after a year without Klingons. [Razz] So, we're talking the D-5 we saw Duras use in "Judgement", and a tanker variant of which we see in "Marauders".

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/klingon_ships.htm

-Looks like then the Klingon fleet of this era will be mostly D5s and BoPs. The Raptor ships seem to have vanished altogether, we won't count the "horseshoe" transport, or the K'tinga either.

-Nice continuity, jettisoning the Denobulan pilot and her ship to escape!Was wondering what happened to her. Anyway, I'm also enjoying how real-life new scientific data gathered from the Galileo and Cassini probes is being used in the show. A decade ago, we wouldn't hear about gas giants having thermal or cyclohexene layers like this. Smart. [Smile]

-Enterprise outguns a BoP three to one? Good thing Duras had three when we last saw him... Still, this episode the wing disruptors mysteriously switch to beams instead of pulses. And we learn the bridge is protected by "dispersive armor" that is invulnerable to phase cannon fire, though that could have just been Soong lying to keep Archer from firing on his kids.

-Enterprise has not displayed any of the new weaponry described of the Columbia - not too much of a surprise, and they do finish this show back on Earth. Being upgraded for a fight later this season (as the upcoming Vulcan arc doesn't seem to involve much ship-to-ship combat) can easily happen offscreen at any point now.

-Trip's parents have moved to Mississippi from Panama City, FL. Panama City is nowhere near where the Xindi weapon made its attack down the panhandle. While the attack most certainly screwed up normal life for everyone in the Southwest, Trip's parent's place was okay. They wanted a new beginning, perhaps?

-The UT has been updated with seven Klingon dialects - looks like Hoshi is having less to do already. [Smile] I wonder though if whatever the Klingon guy on the other end was hearing was a properly-accented Klingonese - Archer isn't nearly as gruff or growly as Klingons tend to be. And as always, "Qapla'" was not translated.

-Neato effect of the show - as Soong escapes in the pod, the BoP looks to jump to warp when ALREADY at warp. Then the starstreaks collapse to points and the pod is at sublight. Cool!

-I'm wondering what the reasoning is behind soundproofing the brig... No other series has done this, and prisoners have often used this advantage to talk / hypnotize / whatever their way out of their cell. And to say nothing of the advantages of having a friggin' ACTUAL PHYSICAL BARRIER locking you in! This Enterprise has the most secure brig ever!

-Speaking of cool retro tech - I'd like to see any other ship be able to disable a target with a tractor beam, like Enterprise did with the grappler!

-T'Pol changes her outfits, yet maintains her pips and patch. I'm sure whatever regulation that governs this sort of thing will survive at least a couple centuries so Seven can use it too.

-Y'know, despite having having four (or five) tubes to fire torpedoes in the forward arc, I don't think we ever see her fire photonics from more than one tube at any one time. Here, it's three torps from tube 3 (counting from port and not including the once-seen centerline tube). I'malmost certain we only see them firing from tube 2 and 3 these days - perhaps they're using photonics from only certain tubes now? And the spatial torpedo props are kept around in the Armory because they're probe casings or something?

-CC tidbit - when Archer kills Malik, the closed-captioning reads that we hear a "plasma rifle blast". Could it be that TPTB still consider the MACO weapons to be plasma-based? Plasma, with a stun setting of some sort, accounting for the white pulses instead of the original red? Hm..!

-And there's nothing said that Soong didn't already have kids... Or he'll get out and about at some point later. He's apparently not in prison because of murder, so perhaps he'll be pardonned some day?

Mark

[ November 13, 2004, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:
I was somewhat surprised that Enterprise outgunned a bird of prey so badly. But okay. My remaining question is... when does the guy who's in jail for the rest of his life have kids?

Maybe he already has a kid or maybe he's parolled later in life and is able to have a kid, or maybe he adopted and Noonian Soong is not a biological descendant. (Of course, it would still be very odd that Noonian Soong would like very much like Arik if Noonian was descended from an adopted kid)

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe he has a brother.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it just me, or did the scene at the end where Malik suddenly shows up on Enterprise seem very poorly thought-out and completely unnecessary?

Also, I refuse to believe that those grappling ropes are stronger than the hull of a ship.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone catch the name of the Klingon colony that was about to be attacked?

Also, there was some continuity with regards to the BoPs having minimal aft shielding, as mentioned in "The Expanse".

As for the Malik scene - it was unexpected, but then again, he didn't seem like one to give up so easily. I would imagine all of those extra buttons he was pushing while Soong was talking to him was for the transporter...I was sort of wondering what he was doing there.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
quote:
Originally posted by Omega:

Maybe he already has a kid or maybe he's parolled later in life and is able to have a kid, or maybe he adopted and Noonian Soong is not a biological descendant. (Of course, it would still be very odd that Noonian Soong would like very much like Arik if Noonian was descended from an adopted kid)
Two words: "conjugal visits." [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Two words: "conjugal visits." [Wink]

Two more words: "co-ed prison".
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the shot of the NX-01 firing torps at the BoP while both were still at warp. Bit dubious about the "outgunned three to one" statement given the BoP seemed superior in every battle in the first two parts. But overall it's good to see the hero ship is capable of kicking ass once in a while.

Nice expressions after Archer bluffs the Klingons. Archer is all "did I just do that?!" and Reed is all "Did he just do that?!"

Further proof that my MACO page was a really bad idea: as soon as I saw that the MACO guarding Soong at the end was played by one of the stuntmen and not one of the background extra MACOs, I knew something was going to happen.

And then someone drops from the ceiling - I almost expected it to be Silik back from the dead and wanting Soong to provide all the genetic modifications they'd previously gotten from Future Guy. 8)

That hole in Malik's chest was totally cheesy as an effect. While it's good to see that phasers can cause damage once in a while, I don't believe a trio of pulse bursts would have left that damage pattern. And shouldn't something have gone all the way through and hit Soong?

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Is it too much to hope for that for once we see someone get the death they deserve? Like Malik or whatever his name is, dying in slow agony? No, what'll happen is he'll probably get shot or stabbed by Persis when he does one thing too outrageous even for her, like decide to kill Soong. He'll then just keel over with a pouty hurt look on his face, I can see it now. . .

OK, bad call on the Persis thing - although she did stab him! - but still. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Speaking of one liners, who was the cute blonde at Engineering station on the bridge in the final battle? Her one line could have been said by anyone else on the bridge. I'm thinking it has something to do with the above point.

That's Dayna Devon, host of the syndicated entertainment show Extra.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps