Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Am I seeing double, or is it just a tech-reflection? ["IaMD, Part II" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: $$ Am I seeing double, or is it just a tech-reflection? ["IaMD, Part II" Spoilers]
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if Defiant survives to be renamed by Archer, he could easily change the 64 in the registry to 01 to honor NX-01.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the writers side-stepped the "takes 30 minutes to restart a cold warp drive" issue.

The Defiant used two phaser banks above the hangar bay to aid in her escape. She also fired forward with a pair of beams. She has an aft torpedo bay that seems to be at the base of the neck. There's a really good closeup of the ship firing phasers and torpedos from above the sensor dome on the ventral surface of the saucer. Might be worth catching that in freeze-frame to see exactly where the weapons are coming from. The Defiant puts up a hell of fire against the mid-22nd century ships.

The bridge of the Avenger is different from both the bridges of Enterprise and Columbia. Instead of the situation table and monitors in the aft alcove, she has a flat wall blocking that area off (of course, said wall has a huge hole in it from battle damage).

Back on the Defiant, the Jeffries tube has an outlet, apparently. The duotronic nodule that Soval instructs Phlox to remove is apparently just a protective grid. T'Pol refers to the saucer section as the primary hull. The computer said "working" when pulling up the data file on the regular universe Jonathan Archer.

I dub this episode "The Revenge of the Underutilized Characters".

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one little quivel to bitch at, at the end of the episode: no apparant damage to the primary hull when Defiant reached earth orbit, after destroying Avenger...

it loooooooked wonderful otherwise.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Wee Bairns
Member # 1324

- posted      Profile for Wee Bairns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took some pretty good screenshots that will likely be of intrest...

aft firing phasers...
 -

aft firing torpedoes...
 -

A closeup of Archer's service record, including details like he was an ambassador to Andoria and will be the Federation President. (This screenshot was on another forum, I didn't take this one)
 -

The Gorn...
 -

And what looks, to me, at least, like the exact same aztecing on the Defiant as is on the Connie refit...
 -

A Defiant beauty shot...
 -

And my pathetic effort to splice together a snap of painting in the briefing room...
 -

If anyone else would like screenshots, I can probably take some.

--------------------
Visit the Clive Cussler Forum at http://clivecusslerforum.com/

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shit, did the Defiant take that much damage? I was at a wake and had to miss the part 2.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How I know I am sort of hideous undernerd, despised as uncool by even the Star Trek nerd community: The neatest thing in these pictures is that we finally find out what the official title for members of the Federation Council is. Though it is shockingly mid-twentieth century. No Councilperson? Councilbeing?

Still, awesome, and I am so glad it is not "ambassador," as sort of implied by, for instance, "Journey to Babel," among other places. Now I can continue to believe that the "Federation Council" scenes from Star Trek IV were in fact just a specially convened subcommittee.

(Probable derail: The thing about "ambassador" is, in TOS the Federation was seemingly intended as being much more UN-like. Thus Sarek was the Vulcan ambassador to the Federation Council. This gets subtly retconned by his TNG episode, were he's a Federation ambassador-at-large who happpens to be from Vulcan. And, I don't know. This is the sort of thing I pay attention to, I guess. Of course, one could say, without much evidence to the contrary, that the Federation went through some serious reorganization inbetween TOS and TNG, turning it into the more statelike entity we get by, say, DS9. But I'd rather not, personally.)

No birthdate or date of death, I notice. Plus his birthplace is just "Upstate New York?" That's everywhere in New York that isn't in the city. How did he give friends directions to his house? When you hit Canada you've gone too far?

Though now I see that he's apparently an ambassador to Andoria starting eight years after the Federation begins? Boo to that.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we know how they avoided people finding out about the Federation-universe. They deleted the historical files.

Looked like the forward torpedoes came from here:
 -

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Earth still needs Ambassadors even after the forming of the Federation.

- The Defiant cutaway is basically the same as the one from Captain's Chair.

- The Empire is said to be 'centuries' old. This probably means that everything we see in the intro relates to the birth of the Terran Empire. Or it could be Orwellian propaganda.

- Aft phasers and torpedoes are fired from the rim of that dome atop the hangar bay, similar to the situation on the saucer.

- The Rebellion is just a mix of renegades, including Vulcans and Andorians.

- Among the Tholian slaves is a blue, Antedean/fish-like humanoid. It's probably a reuse of Generic Background Alien #31827.

- The interior of the Defiant looks remarkably good. No 60s cheesiness anywhere. The ship has large service crawlways, that look a bit more modern than the usual corridors, but fit the ship.

- A personal annoyance... the Defiant's records use the same TNG Federation logo. This kind of implies that the logo was always the same, despite the variations we saw in various sources.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Texas does not have an ambassador in Oklahoma.

An interesting question, one I can't seem to find an easy answer to at the moment, is what the current state of, say, the German embassy in France is, or the French embassy in Austria, and what the future plans for such institutions are. My monolinguism is probably holding me back here, as all I can find on the European Union's website is information regarding external ambassadors and embassies and missions and etc.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The EU is NOT a nation, and it's members are sovereign nations, and will remain that for the foreseeable future. So yes, everyone has representatives to everyone else.

I more or less assumed the same for the UFP, since members are still rather individual. Remember the Khitomer Conference, which had an Earth and Vulcan delegation, in addition to a UFP delegation.

DS9 americanized the UFP by introducing a US-style President, but most other evidence seems to point to a UN/EU type of coalition.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I never implied that it was. The point is that the EU is unique in that it combines aspects of a federal system with an intergovernmental one, and in it the traditional role of embassies is shared across a large number of other organizations, committees, and the like. I'm genuinely curious about the role of embassies in the EU now and in the future.

It's pretty clear the Federation is not like the UN, in my opinion, if for no other reason than it has a military. It also makes laws, as opposed to treaties.

Anyway, I think the Federation as presented is at least as centralized an entity as the EU, and likely more so. But there isn't much in the way of explicit information on this topic, and I wouldn't say my interpretation is objectively more right than yours.

I don't see why having a representative flying an Earth flag at a big conference means anything more than that the (a) Councilmember from Earth and his staff was there. Perhaps the Earth and Vulcan Councilmembers were members of the foreign relations committee at the time.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

(Incidently, I was trying to keep a list of government-related stuff in Star Trek for awhile, but my effort stopped around the time I ran out of money to buy more seasons on DVD.)

And I don't mean to imply that the UN actually makes treaties itself. But rather that it is an entity where nations go to talk over the details of such things. The UN itself is limited to issuing resolutions, whose effectiveness vary, to put it mildly.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over at Trekbbs, somebody was bragging of DVR'ing his HDTV and observing phaser turrets at the emitting points. [Eek!] That is, two single aft emitters exactly where they are in the TMP refit, and two side-by-side emitters forward of the primary hull dome. Only visible when firing, apparently.

Any way to confirm with available tech resources? Screencaps from a moment before firing, rather than from during firing, please!

I rather like the idea that the aft dome would be a repeat of the primary hull dome(s) in smaller scale and possibly with limited power - but rather than an actual weapons mount, it could be a fire control installation of some sort.

So Archer makes President? Glad that the dates don't overlap with things like Picard's scrapbook (Pres. Vanderbilt) or fanon (Pres. Thorpe), but it becomes more and more difficult to explain why post-ENT history does not remember the ENT adventures. I mean, Archer is clearly more influential than Kirk ever was, even from the Starfleet viewpoint. Can it really be due to the greater time separation only?

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Digital? Phooey! I saw the aft turrets on good ol' VHS. They're little more than dots, but they're there, visible right after Defiant takes out the tractor emitter.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Wee Bairns
Member # 1324

- posted      Profile for Wee Bairns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The port turret is quite apparent here...
 -

And the MSD...
 -

And I found some much better grabs of the two service records...(These, again, were not taken by me)
 -
 -

--------------------
Visit the Clive Cussler Forum at http://clivecusslerforum.com/

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps