Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Am I seeing double, or is it just a tech-reflection? ["IaMD, Part II" Spoilers] (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: $$ Am I seeing double, or is it just a tech-reflection? ["IaMD, Part II" Spoilers]
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did the mirror humans, who in all respects seem to perfectly mirror the technological achievements of regular humans, ever manage to conquer mirror Vulcan, though, I wonder? Or was this covered in part one?

Well, I guess the answer now is "with weapons from the future," but what about the first time?

(Also, Bakula kind of ((kind of? how about super to the max)) overdid it in a few places, but I liked the parts where he played up his sense of inferiority when confronted with his alternate's accomplishments. I was expecting a scene revealing that he had always wanted T'Pol too, though.)

I have some other thoughts on the existential horror of living in the mirror universe, but maybe a non-technical thread would be a better home for them.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Did we know Shran's first name before?

Nope. But more importantly, what did you think of my thread title?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Did anybody notice that the gorn had reptilian eyes instead of the silver bug eyes from TOS"Arena"? Does this mean that those silver eyes where some sort of contact lenses or other protective eyewear.
Naah. The nasty Gorn pirate captain just showed how nasty he was by wearing patches over BOTH eyes.

Or perhaps he made a bet with the Metron? "A weak Earthling? Bah! I could beat him blindfolded!"

Seriously, forks, it would put an interesting twist to "Arena" if we learned that Kirk in essence beat up a blind cripple. Which is what "IaMD" very much makes it look like.

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suggest that the TOS Gorn's eyes were buggy for the same reason that TOS Andorians' antennae didn't move.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erectile disfunction?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still wondering if She-Ho actually loved Captain Forrest or not.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So we never saw Mirri T'Pol's fate, right? Probably became subject to the empress' whims. . .

Also, the array that Phlox dismantled to disable the Defiant - was that a re-use of the same components Archer fiddled with to destroy the Xindi sphere? All ythose glowing red tubes, removed in pairs this time but singly last time. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vice-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
I'm still wondering if She-Ho actually loved Captain Forrest or not.

That's Empress She-Ho to you biatch! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the TOS Gorn looked big and buff compared to this one. Maybe this was the wiry, dorky Gorn wearing horn-rimmed glasses that had the advantage of being small and quick.

Or maybe in this universe the Gorn were Augments.

In any case, since we haven't seen a Gorn in the normal universe, we don't really need an explanation of the difference beyond it being the Mirror Universe, where Crazy Things Happen(tm).

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Northern Gorns and Southern Gorns. And if there had been a Season 5, a six-episode arc would've been made to explain in excruciating detail why they look different.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I liked seeing how much more powerful the Constitution class is over the NX and the large Vulcan ship. Proof of progress, there. (And I think we saw it destroy an Andorian ship, but I can't remember.)

B.J.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the torpedoes seemed quite weak, at least until the final shots on Avenger. Still, the total number of torpedoes fired in this episode was quite absurd, with limited impact.

It was the phasers that were smacking fools around in a hardcore manner.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the torps were set at a low yeild... I wonder who ordered that.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
So, er, I don't remember those power thingies (the red bars Phlox was sabotaging) from TOS, yet they looked like they belonged. My memory for things not involving TMBG lyrics is bad, though. Have we seen those before?

They weren't from TOS, and I'm a bit skeptical of all the power to the ship's primary systems running through this single, open-to-interruption junction. Not very smart. But I guess it *is* the sort of plot device that would be used on TOS. I also loved how the "duotronic module" referred to the SCREEN covering the relays! [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
So we never saw Mirri T'Pol's fate, right? Probably became subject to the empress' whims. . .

Also, the array that Phlox dismantled to disable the Defiant - was that a re-use of the same components Archer fiddled with to destroy the Xindi sphere? All ythose glowing red tubes, removed in pairs this time but singly last time. . .

Could be...but what did you think of my thread title?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Wee Bairns
Member # 1324

- posted      Profile for Wee Bairns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the difference in the Gorn's eyes could be explained away by the fact that in Arena the Goern was outside in the bright sun, where as on Enterprisehe was in dark passgeways and conduits. Perhaps they work like the Vulcan's inner eyelid?

Or you know, cheap SFX...

--------------------
Visit the Clive Cussler Forum at http://clivecusslerforum.com/

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps