Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Am I seeing double, or is it just a tech-reflection? ["IaMD, Part II" Spoilers] (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: $$ Am I seeing double, or is it just a tech-reflection? ["IaMD, Part II" Spoilers]
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or maybe the Gorn was a lesbian... like everyone else in the Mirror Universe. Everyone knows that lesbian Gorn don't have silver eyes...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Wee Bairns
Member # 1324

- posted      Profile for Wee Bairns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wee Bairns:
Perhaps the difference in the Gorn's eyes could be explained away by the fact that in Arena the Gorn was outside in the bright sun, where as on Enterprise he was in dark passgeways and conduits. Perhaps they work like the Vulcan's inner eyelid?

Or you know, cheap SFX...

Oh good, I quoted instead of edited. Huzzah!

--------------------
Visit the Clive Cussler Forum at http://clivecusslerforum.com/

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Or maybe the Gorn was a lesbian... like everyone else in the Mirror Universe. Everyone knows that lesbian Gorn don't have silver eyes...
Yes,yes we all know everything in MU is lesbonic especially the starships like the ISS Enterprise and the ISS Avenger. Although USS Defiant is from our universe, they'll convert her too.
As for the Gorn eyelids, I too also thought those bug eyes where for protection from the sun.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this was a male Gorn while the one Kirk fought was female.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thread title? Oh, so-so. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Wee Bairns
Member # 1324

- posted      Profile for Wee Bairns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hot. Very. hot.

--------------------
Visit the Clive Cussler Forum at http://clivecusslerforum.com/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect the "duotronic module" was not the screen itself, but the rectangular thing stuck to the middle of the screen.

As for mirror T'Pol's fate, if you listen to the commentary, they mention that they tried to leave the main characters' fates fairly nebulous, so they had the option of bringing them back in a future MU episode. Not that that's going to happen now, but they didn't know that then.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've barely had time to watch them once, let alone put the commmentaries on my iPod and re-watch them. So we can assume that Reed might pull through, and Tucker is still lurking in Engineering, and Phlox might be in the Brig with T'Pol. Archer may not even be dead, then. . .

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Travis and She-Ho decided to have their way with him... It is the Mirror Universe after all.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Gorn - sans the Christina Aguilera make up - looks like it's got a light sabre hanging from it's belt! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back to the tech commentary:

-- It took four seasons, but they finally got Majel Barrett to do the computer's voice. [Wink]

-- Considering the supreme technological advantage the Defiant had over the other ships (heck, it seemed like the rebels' weapons had no effect at all, and the Avenger's weapons only worked while the Defiant's shields were down!), I'm pretty sure that if there were to be another MU episode, it really would feature Empress She-Ho. Also, considering that the Empire seemed close to defeat by the rebels, it's reasonable that the Defiant became the ship that saved said Empire for the next 100+ years.

-- I'm not 100% sure, and it's hard to tell because of the angles and perspective, but were the relative sizes of the Avenger and the Defiant correct? The NX-class ship looked a bit smaller than it should've, IMO.

-- I never thought I'd ever want to see ENT's episodes provide evidence to override our previous conceptions of TOS (or more particularly, the common fan beliefs that I might disagree with), but I'm so glad to see that the Defiant actually had aft weaponry!

-- The escape from the Tholian spacedock also shows that the two forward phaser emitters can also be targeted independently. Cool, considering the weird firing angles from the old TOS effects!

-- Most of it is obviously the production values and 21st-century filming technology, but I'm still shocked to say that despite the nearly-identical design of the Defiant bridge, it still looked quite awesome, and even believable (compared to the relative cheesiness of the 60's set). Not that I'm saying TOS sucked because of that, at all, just that making a side-by-side comparison of the two ships' interiors was quite favorable for both!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say lighting had lots to do with it. Had the corridors and bridge and everything been lit as they were in the 60s, the sets would have looked far more garish and colourful on our modern TVs and computer screens. The darker lighting created lots of shadows, which lowered the contrast and gave the sets much more depth than they really had. It's an old TV trick to disguise poor set design with lighting - in this case, our minds filled in the blanks and we remember a far cooler set than actually was there.

The Jeffries tube sets did impress me, too. They were designed far more modern than the TOS corridors, yet the look and placement of pipes and colour made it look right at home.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They really should have gotten the bridge railings right, though.

Yes, I am aware that I am a huge dork.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Lee
Member # 393

Just chalk it down to another missed opportunity. . . Like the title of this thread. 8)

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps