Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$) (Page 6)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$)
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course we know next to nothing about the Remans and their history (AFAIK - I don't read the novels)
so it's hard to say exactly how much of a slave race they really are.
Part of the problem is that our perception of slavery is understandably coloured by the African slave trade of the 17th, 18th & 19th century. If you look at the sort of practices of slavery in ancient Rome, Egypt and even here, prior to the Norman invasion it's entierly possible for a slave race used as more than just labours or cannon fodder.
If I remember correctly, some of the more successful examples not only earned their freedom but became rich men.
So in the case of the Remans, it may be that they're actually more of an "under-class", rather than slaves in the way we think of them.
They certainly have their own distinct culture, language, alphabet and sense of aesthetics.
Perhaps they were an independent race that were conquered when the Romulans re-settled in that part of space, or perhaps they're the descendants of a very specific breed of Vulcan that left with the Romulans.
My personal theory is they they're the remnants of Vulcan's own eugenics program, given their features in common with other Vulcanoids and their enhanced telepathic abilities. So whatever culture and technology they still posses is likewise a remnant of whichever region of Ancient Vulcan they originated from.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nemesis mentions that Shinzon built the Scimitar at "a secret base", IIRC. That would imply it's a unique creation and doesn't necessarily indicate that the Remans have a fleet.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That doesn't imply it's a unique creation. It's quite possible the Scimitar is a Romulan design, but was constructed secretly for the Remans.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If "the secret base" is anything like the Monac shipyards, there could be many reman ships, although of lesser stature.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The base needn't even be secret. It might have started out initially just with Remans as the workforce, but Shinzon's rising power as a military tactician could have led to his gaining (legal) full control of a working shipyard. Then, any Romulans on the staff could be either kept from informing the High Command on what was going on there, by being re-assigned elsewhere, kept incommunicado/providing false reports, or by disposing of them altogether (this last would be the easiest but might cause more problems as Command would want to know what happened to these people and why).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Vanguard
Member # 1780

- posted      Profile for Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are you defending Nemesis of all things? The entire premise is so frackin' absurd, and the rationalizations are the stuff that makes Star Trek fans get beat up in high school.

--------------------
www.pixelsagas.com
www.jaynz.info - The Record of Star Fleet

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know I was skimming SCN, and they were having a similar discussion. Someone theorized that the Scimitar had Dominion origins. Either the big S was captured Dom ship or it was built from stolen plans. Meh, but that sounds too fanboyish for me. And Vanguard, thanks for reminding us how much you hate Nemesis again.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually that would make me feel better about the Scimitar.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be surprised if the Scimitar was at least partly based on reverse engineered Jem'hadar vessel. Hell, I'd be surprised if both Starfleet and the Klingons weren't implementing whatever useful technology they could scavenge after the war.
Still, the whole design ethos of the Scimitar still have a VERY distinct look, apart from Romulan and Dominion designs, at least internally. Dominion ships are extremely utilitarian and I seriously doubt you'll get the massive hallways, grandiose stairways and huge ornate windows that we saw on the Scimitar. In a way it's almost cathedral like, compared to the Romulan's Greco-Roman sensibilities.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I'm pretty certain we first had the idea of the Scimitar being a captured Dominion battleship.

Someone here even did a nice overlay of the two ships and the notion of them sharing the same internal spaceframe was at least a possibility.

I'd go through the old threads but I am a lazy lazy man.

sooo...lazy...

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not so lazy (but still prety damn sloth-like)

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw the third trailer, and it's psyched me up, big time.

Some good screen caps of the trailer at TrekBBS. Saw a couple of interesting things in the wreckage scenes.

Starbase wreckage? As it looks too big to be the saucer from a ship, as it dwarfs the enterprise in front of it. Could be a registry number on the left side of that saucer, which you can make out once the big-E moves out of the way.

USS ... flowe...? Had a quick google of historical names and came up with this list of what it could be. Cornflower? Mayflower? Gilliflower? Sunflower? Wallflower? Windflower? Not sure on the ship class though.

Andru
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for Andru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and just felt like throwing in my 2 cents re the new trailer...

That wrecked "Mayflower" saucer looks a lot like a Kelvin-type, the pattern of hull stripes and the details of the saucer edge match those on the Kelvin. The registry appears to be x62x, possibly NCC-0620 but don't quote me on this ! Moreover there are at least 4-5 nacelle-like elements in the scene, many of which look like the Kelvin single nacelle.

Well I sure hope not *every* Starfleet ship we get to see in the movie is a re-use of the Kelvin CGI :-/ But at least they re-labeled it !

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the Narada? Love to know what's going on there, doesn't seem to be anything recognizable as warp nacelles, impulse, a bridge, etc. It's just a mish-mash of hair strand like structures. Cosmic Beard!
OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Made a couple of captures from the 1080 trailer and tweaked the levels a bit.

I don't think that massive saucer and the "Flower" are the same bits of debris. As the damage on the "Flower" looks to be in the place where the registry would be, and on the big saucer there's damage where the name would be.

How big is a Kelvin-type anyways? As unless the big-E is about to ram into that large saucer section, it's a lot bigger than her, on the order of a galaxy class saucer or larger.

Can't make out much more of the name here.

-

I can make out the #62# registry on that big saucer there but can't tell what the numbers either side are.

-

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  21  22  23   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps