Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$) (Page 7)

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: A Good Old Fashioned Star Trek XI Starship discussion! ($$$SPOILERS$$$)
Andru
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for Andru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both the ...FLOWE... and the ...62... markings are visible on the same piece of debris in another scene (sorry I have the capture but don't know how to post it, but it's in the scene with the debris as seen from the Enterprise viewscreen). I agree that the numbers on either side of the 62 are open to conjecture. Maybe we'll figure them in the IMAX version hehe !
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, that is a big saucer. If it does belong to a ship, let's hope we see it before it gets destroyed.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a spoiler thread over at TrekBBS from people who have already seen the movie in Sydney. I didn't want to be spoiled about the movie's plot, but I did want to know about some specific ship questions, which I didn't think would spoil anything (for me, anyway). If you think that even this information will spoil you, then don't read further. But I thought some ship info might interest others.

(SPOILERS AHEAD!!!)
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

Starfleet ships: The Enterprise is brand-new, so there are no other ships like it in the movie. Besides the Kelvin from 20 years before, there are indeed several new 23rd century Starfleet ship designs, including one with a saucer and four nacelles like the Constellation class. All the ships are described as older than the Enterprise, but different from the Kelvin. However, in the trailers we see wrecked saucers that look like the Kelvin's, so there may be some CGI kitbashing too. The Farragut is mentioned by name, so one of these older ships is presumably the vessel that Kirk would have been assigned to in the regular timeline, which also could invalidate it as a Constitution class ship (which suits me fine...I was never happy that Okuda made both the Farragut and the Republic Connies).

Klingon ships: Apparently we'll see "fake" Klingon ships during the Kobayashi Maru test.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading the spoiler over at TrekBBS, a lot to think about and I'm not just talking aboutthe ships.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'll just avoid spoilers until I see the film. Although I've read the ones above, but then as you say it's not really relevant to the film as a whole. Perhaps start a new thread for starship discussion if you have seen the film? Or would that be redundant? So far this one has been more about speculation than discussion.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

So there is a four nacelled ship, can't wait to see it. At this point we're pretty much familiar with the Kelvin and the Big-E, so I think talking about other ships in the film is such a big spoiler. [Razz]
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Sorry for double post, but the movie site has posted an image of the New Stardock showing some new designs, though they look kitbashed from the Kelvin and Enterprise.

http://img.trekmovie.com/images/st09/dossiers/station.jpg

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some do, some don't, and most are too small to make out. Hopefully we'll see them larger soon.

The four-nacelled ship looks cool, though.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! More canon three-nacelled ships! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that a Kelvin on the bottom left? From there clockwise it appears to go four-nacelle, three-nacelle, can't tell, nuConstitution, can't tell, three-nacelle, two-nacelle (almost a Nebularised nuConstitution).

--------------------

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bigger pic via Doug's blog:
http://www.startrekmovie.com/downloads/desktop.html?file=d43_1920.jpg&width=1920&height=1200
Think the 3 nacelle ships (atleast the one on the far right, the one to it's left the nacells are all all different lengths with engine glowy sides and ends) actually have 2 engine nacelles and a kelvin style engineering hull, the lower cylinder looks shorter than the top 2, and there's a vauge hint of a shuttle bay at the back.

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

Lee
Member # 393

Bigger?! It's the exact same size, but cropped, you numpty!

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

But you are right about the two ships on the bottom right, the obvious three-naceller has glowy bits along only the two upper nacelles, suggesting the lower one is an engineering hull/pod; it also appears to have an Intrepid-style saucer. The one to its left which looks like the lower pod should be an engineering hull, has glowy bits on it!

The ship up and to the right of the obvious four-naceller could be a 3- or 4- one, it's impossible to tell from the angle. I think it's a three-naceller, but it is of the same class as either of the two bottom-right ships discussed above?

The ship to the left of the nuCon has a saucer but no obvious nacelles, they could be in shadow, it could be a TOSed Miranda?

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

How about this:

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/393/st09ships.jpg

On #4, the possible TOSed Miranda, there's a small light patch exactly where you'd expect the Bussard on the end of a TOS-era nacelle. . .

#1, the closer you look, the less it looks like a Kelvin. What appears to be an upper nacelle looks like it's not high enough above the saucer.

The pylons for the upper nacelles on #2 and #3 look very similar.

--------------------

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 looks like a Kelvin style kitbash, but it might have 2 nacelles underneath, I can't make it out.

2 and 3 I think are essentialy the same ship - 4 nacelles with a hoop like support between the nacelles. Cool design.

4 could be the same as 1, or a ship similar in design to the Jem'Hadar attack ship - hard to tell.

5 looks like a Connie.

6 looks like an olive.

I can't tell whats going on with 7! I see a saucer with underslung nacelles (a la Miranda), but what the hell is going on with the third one? If it is a Miranda than the 3rd nacelle looks like it's sticking out of the starboard shuttle bay to me.

8 is pretty funky. Looks like that fanboy fav the Akyazi, with an extra thing beneath (I'd guess like the Kelvins secondary hull lite).

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  21  22  23   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.