Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Apollo-class question... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Apollo-class question...
Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Altair: Yes, I know, that was my inspiration, actually. I even made up an entire catalog of "Captain John's Used Starships", featuring a warp-capable Ares-IV, a life-sized 1:1 Phoenix, DY-vessels, etc. Maybe I'll link to it someday.

Grapeape: OK, you're right, I forgot about the Nebbie. But everyone can see that it is an entirely seperate design, despite being a Galaxy kitbash. I once toyed with Constitution parts, and I now have an incredible number of Constitution kitbashes made with my graphics program. Problem is that they all still look too Constitution-ish, no matter how you arrange them, scale them, flip them, mirror them, etc. I don't have that same feeling about the Nebbie, however I acknowledge the Galaxy-origin (despite having lower regos).

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

[This message has been edited by Alpha Centauri (edited July 10, 2000).]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo: Actually, the Saratogas the effects guys blew up weren't scale models: They were all about five feet long. My guess is somebody wanted some background debris, and instead of actually fabricationg custom-made junk, they just used one of the Saratogas.

------------------
Captain Tenille: "Oh, Simpson, you're like the son I never had."
Homer: "And you're like the father I never visit."

spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Nebula's secondary hull is only superficially similar to that of the galaxy class. on closer inspection, it is very different, being taller and not tapering as much, as well as having a different shape and therefore a different shape of deflector dish.

i think the T'Pau might have been referred to as an Apollo Class in "Unification".

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Which of course raises the question "Does anybody have the script available?" (Or, "Is Boris Skrbic reading this?")...

What we'd need to know is

1.Is the class of the T'Pau really mentioned?
2.Is any of the three Vulcan ships built by the Romulans identified as the T'Pau?
3.Is the class of the three Vulcan ships mentioned?
4.With what dialogue exactly are the Vulcan ships welcomed by the crew (does somebody say "Hey, Vulcan ships, everyone!" or "I'm reading Vulcan warp signatures at 123 mark 45"?)
5.Does the scrip offer some other insight that wasn't in the actual episode?

Timo Saloniemi

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were 3 Vulcan ships mentioned by Spock in the broadcast, NONE of which were the T'Pau. I find it very unlikely that the T'Pau would be able to go ANYwhere without a deflector.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's a picture in some book showing the original model, and it's got a huge IDIC symbol on the side. So the ships were definitely Vulcan.

I don't think the T'Pau was stated to be Apollo-class. However, there was a display showing info on the ship. Perhaps that had the class on it.

The T'Pau probably couldn't go anywhere w/ no deflector, but it doesn't need its own deflector. The Romulans probably replaced it because it was damaged, or something.

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."
-Eminem, "The Real Slim Shady"

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An Okudagram with ship info, that's interesting. Screencap, anybody?

------------------

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the Okudagram from the episode "Unification, Part 1". The information does not give class information either for the SS T'Pau or the USS Tripoli. SS T'Pau is identified as a ship of the Vulcan Merchant Marines and was declassified on SD 41344.2.

The saucer in the episode "Emissary" can't be of that of the USS Melbourne NCC-62043. This ship was below the Borg ship after being disabled and was intact, aside from the 50% of the primary hull which was destroyed.

A magazine of Starlog gives the battle information as follows (this reflects an earlier script)-USS Gage destroyed, USS Kyushu destroyed, USS Melbourne destroyed, USS Saratoga destroyed. The first two ships are not seen in the final product and the inference from the episode is that the battle is beginning.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My reasons why I used the Vulcan designed ship as the Apollo Class

• Last time I checked Vulcan was part of the Federation.
  • If i was working for the bureau of ops. I would acquire some Vulcan ships (Vulcans are generally noted for thier intelligence)
  • Registies given in the Encyc. are contemporary with the age of the Vulcan vessels in Unification (assuming that Registries follow time)(they would have looked good along side an ambassador class)
  • in BoBw Cmdr Shellby was just spitting out names that she knew was in the fight, cause in emissary most of the Melbourne impacted onto the cube. Unless she got out a magnifine glass to see bits of the saucer section or the Borg had time to push the reckage off thier ship it is unlikely she did see it. Therefore i believe that most of the wreckage was not seen
  • I'm f**king sick of god damn ugly kitbashes

I have more reasons why i use the vulcan ship as the apollo. but the notion of someone contimplating a kitbash for the apollo using the wrekage from a 2 second seen appauls me.

Do not make me get the side view of the Rigel class again.

------------------
"...that degenerative honky."
- Hermes
refering to fry in
Futurama

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was that Rick Sternbach design for a Vulcan ship, that was never seen?? The line schematic I think is in the Continuing Mission... anyone want to scan it?? IT looks sort of like a Sabre class hull but with vulcanesque nacelles.

Andrew

------------------
"chocolate cherries allamanda" - Datura, Tori Amos

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

Yeah! I wanna see it too!

------------------

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is what you all mean with the vulcan predesigns: http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/scifi/pre2.htm
not the biggest, but you get the idea...

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey thanks P!

If you look at Sternbach's grey and white CGI pics of DS9 with some other ships floating about for size comparisons... you can see this Vulcan ship...

It looks like the Sabre if it was going the other way...

Andrew

------------------
"chocolate cherries allamanda" - Datura, Tori Amos

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if anyone has noticed this but within the Star Trek Companion, there's an interesting tidbit about the vulcan ships

"The Vulcan ships were originals, built by Greg Jein from an original design by Sternback, with a Reliant-like feel featuring long, pointed engine pods and a bridge over hull look. Urged to go for a more alien non-Starfelet look, Sternbach said he based the design on a central core surrounded by a wraparound circular generator"

Well they apparently wanted the Vulcan ships to be "non-starfleet", which support the idea that the Apollo class for T'pau was a typo.

------------------
"I just want to set the record straight: I thought the officer was a prostitute"- Homer Simpson

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the left most vulcan ship, and I would accept that as a ship that was use by both SF and vulcan.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps