Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Reverend's Art Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Reverend's Art Thread
Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
quote:
Well, she has those skinny ankles on her character sheet as well...
Maybe that's because I cheated and traced over the character sheet for this costume design. [Big Grin]

I know, I wrote about the ankles precisely because I found this sheet myself [Cool]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the first BatGirl-picture looks too much like Halle Berry's new "CatWoman". I wouldn't make her black in this case.
I love Berry's catwoman, tho. *crack*

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason Todd got blown up by the Joker. Compared to a life of becoming an overweight, depressed man who hated his crimefighting life after being tortured and brainwashed by the same...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Except that he died. Your definition of "got off easy" is a bit odd.
I admit to have never actually read that comic, but from what I gather Todd's ordeal while cruel and tragic was relatively brief.

I shan't elaborate further since I don't want to spoil it for Aban.

quote:
And how comes I never noticed Max's pert little arse before?
Well the hair dose distract a little. [Wink]

quote:
Jesus Christ.
I warned ya, that's no ordinary rabbit! It's the most foul, cruel and horrid beast you ever laid eyes on....with nasty big pointy teeth!!!

*ahem*

quote:
Too bad I don't even think Timm and company would go this direction for the JLU season 3 finale.
We can always hope for a second DTV. [Wink]

quote:
I think the first BatGirl-picture looks too much like Halle Berry's new "CatWoman". I wouldn't make her black in this case.
I love Berry's catwoman, tho. *crack*

I really don't see the similariry.
Beyond of course the fact that they're both Black females in black costumes.

Given that Max's ethinicity is already established as is the fact that most 'bat-family' costumes promenently feature the colour black I'm not sure what you're suggesting I do.

Also from what I gather Halle Berry's catwoman costume is much more revealing than this one...and it's leather and has no cape and no rocket boots.

I just plain don't get it.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so I'm straight before I go out and try to find this movie, The original Robin, Dick Greyson, grew up and became Nightwing, right? Then Jason Todd comes along and is Robin for awhile, only to get killed by the Joker in A Death in the Family. Then Drake becomes Robin, and that's the one we see in the newer episodes of Batman: The Animated series, right?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct, they skipped Todd altogether in the animated series.

The makers of that show have a good history of "trimming the fat off" the comic book continuity, especially where it comes to characters.

If you have access to Kazza-lite or something similar I recommend that you also get a hold of the following episodes.

The New Adventures of Batman-"Sins of the Father" (first Timm Drake appearance)
The New Adventures of Batman-"Old Wounds" (story of why Greyson quit)
The New Adventures of Batman-"Over the Edge" (coz it rocks)

Batman Beyond-"Rebirth I&II" (coz it's the pilot and it has Sulu in it)
Batman Beyond-"Meltdown" (Because Freeze is just cool [Wink] and he's voiced by Kang from Trek)
Batman Beyond-"Disappearing Inque" (purely for the very cool bit at the end...I won't spoil the details, but the Dark Knight returns!)
Batman Beyond-"Out Of The Past" (Talia and David Warner, very creepy)
Batman Beyond-"The Call" (first appearance of the Justice League, before they had their own show)

Obviously there's loads more good ones, but these are the must see episodes.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet strangely, the origin for Tim Drake in the animated series is almost exactly Jason Todd's and on Teen Tiatns, Robin (in the Tim Drake costume) seems to (somehow) be Dick Grayson (they do a future story where he becomes Nightwing from the Animated Series) so nothing really makes sense there.

In the comics, Tim is the best detective and (probably) the best fighter among the Robins- he's the smartest for certain.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
and on Teen Tiatns, Robin (in the Tim Drake costume) seems to (somehow) be Dick Grayson (they do a future story where he becomes Nightwing from the Animated Series) so nothing really makes sense there.

Spoilers for Teen Titans ahead!

$
$
$
$
$
$
$

I think the writers of the Teen Titans animated series enjoy teasing viewers with Robin's true identity.

Dick Grayson appears most likely, as he became Nightwing in a possible future seen in "How Long is Forever?" Add to that the fact that the real name of Larry the Titan (from "Fractured") was "Dick Grayson" spelled backwards, and Larry had identical DNA to Robin.

Although... in "X," Beast Boy displays a huge flow chart to explain his crazy theory as to who the new Red X is. Jason Todd is clearly labelled on this chart.

[Eek!] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, now we are discussing differences between comics and animated series... [Smile]

What bothers me in Teen Titans is the fact that they seem to have only their secret indentities... For example, Robin walks in costume all the time...

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, he even relaxes and plays video games in his cape and mask: that's just odd.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever I read a thread like this, I am struck with this unnerving dread that not watching any cartoons or reading any comics has left me with this gaping unbridgeable canyon in my otherwise happily uneventful childhood. Then I click it away.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Dont sweat it: all the cartoons from your childhood probably sucked by today's standards anyway.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I'm not hugely knowledgable on the comics so I only know Todd through online character bios and (I think) some references in Miller's "Dark Knight" books.

As for the Teen Titans show, I wouldn't worry too much since it's obviously more kiddie oriented and not connected to the other DCAU shows.

Also I only know the Comic version of Drake through the "No Man's Land" series. Which had a very cool new Batgirl BTW. [Wink]

--------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, many consider Teen Titans to be noncanon to the rest of the DCAU (except for The Batman (the new animated series)) just as many consider TAS to be noncanon to the rest of Star Trek.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Here's something I'd like to tak your opinions on.
I've never been sure about the 'look' of the eyes (pardon the pun) on this design so I've sketched up a set of alternatives, two that retain the "Robin lenses" and two that do away with them.
 -
Thoughts? Comments?

--------------------

This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps