Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Titan design contest gets thumbs-up (Page 1)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Titan design contest gets thumbs-up
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Posted by Marco Palmieri on Friday, March 04 2005 at 16:52:39 GMT

First, I wanted to let everyone know that Taking Wing is in da house! I just received my first advance copies, and it's quite the handsome book (not to mention a fun read). It should start appearing on bookstore shelves within the next week or so.

But mainly, I wanted to give everyone a quick update on the Starship Titan Design Contest.

- Unfortunately, despite my efforts to open the contest to fans worldwide, participation will be limited, like the Strange New Worlds contest, to residents of the United States and Canada, excluding Quebec, for the same reason: the differences in the laws governing contests that exist in different countries.

- The contest will officially commence at 12:00am Eastern Time on March 29, 2005. It will close at 11:59pm Eastern Time on August 15, 2005. A winner will be announced in October, 2005.

- The winning design will be printed in the pages of an upcoming Titan novel, and used as the basis for cover art on the same book. The winning designer will be credited on the book's copyright page.

- All submissions must be made electroncially, via email.

- The contest judges will include the Star Trek editorial staff at Pocket, together with Star Trek designers Doug Drexler, Michael Okuda, and Rick Sternbach; Associate Producer, Star Trek: Enterprise Dave Rossi; Senior Director of Licensed Publishing for Viacom Consumer Products Paula M. Block; and Manager of Licenced Publishing for Viacom Consumer Products John Van Citters.

As announced previously, the complete contest rules are printed in the back matter of Taking Wing, and they'll also be posted on the Simon and Schuster website on March 29, 2005.

Marco

Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Posted by Marco Palmieri on Friday, March 04 2005 at 16:52:39 GMT
[...]
- Unfortunately, despite my efforts to open the contest to fans worldwide, participation will be limited, like the Strange New Worlds contest, to residents of the United States and Canada, excluding Quebec, for the same reason: the differences in the laws governing contests that exist in different countries.

[...]

Damn some kind of unfair...

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least its not limited to JUST the US...
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm excluded! Damn!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...you could always have one of us submit it for you.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are their any guidelines anywhere that designs have to work within (i.e. How old the ship should be, it's size relative to established vessels, etc.)

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like I said when word of this first got out, I would really like for somebody here at Flare to win this contest.

Yes, because I'm no good at ship design, I must emulate bad parenting by living through all of you. Now clean your rooms.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the idea is that contestants have to read the first book, or at least exerpts from it, and go nuts from there. So, we'll get to look at a lot of variations on a theme, or something like that.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since this is the novel realm, we probably stand a good chance that Titan as described avoids *some* of the pitfalls a movie-introduced Titan would dive into. Here's hoping the description will exclude at least the following:

"Starfleet's newest"
"Biggest"
"Fastest"
"Most powerful"
"Most advanced"
"First to feature "

I'd be happy with five out of six... Or even four out of six.

At the same time, I'm hoping the writers will include a hook specifically for the designers, something like "Riker marveled at the unprecedented design of the shuttlebay; his every muscle and nerve itched to take a shuttle for a spin from that curious thing" or "the ship's silhouette reminded Riker of that fantastic old Earth aircraft in one of the family scrapbooks Picard had been 'sharing' with him ever since hitting his (frankly rather annoying) midlife crisis". [Razz]

Timo Saloniemi

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I designed Titan, she'd end up looking like something launched in 2230. Probably not what they're looking for.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless it IS what they're lookig for. Heck, pseudo-kinda-sorta retro is in these days...

Personally, all I really care for is that she be BIG. I'm not talking huger than E-D (though that wouldn't be hideous), but bigger than what we've been given these last few series. They've been trending smaller since TNG (E-E, Voyager, Defiant, Pre-E), and I think it's time to throw the notion into reverse. Give us something that's, well, titanic. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
They've been trending smaller since TNG (E-E, Voyager, Defiant, Pre-E), and I think it's time to throw the notion into reverse. Give us something that's, well, titanic. [Smile]

Mark [/QB]

1. Most important rule of technological advancement - make things smaller, to the point you just think 'does it really need to be that small?' Sadly it seems only the japanese have caught onto that rule.

2. The Titans were not themselves actually 'titanic' as you use the word, they were the same size as the Olympians IIRC, the meaning of titanic as something preposterously huge has only arisen since the Titanic that sunk. They were actually the original gods born of heaven and earth, the youngest and their leader - Chronos is the father of Zeus who eventually supplants him with the Olympian pantheon. Most of the myths seem to involve the son castrating the father as part of taking his place. [Confused] Those crazy greeks.

3. Re: the exclusion, I have only one phrase - bum-clouds. Not that I'd win, but it's highly unjust that the majority of the worlds population can't enter.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The possibility of an Al-Qaeda operative designing the Titan is one they can't afford to ignore.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Er...you could always have one of us submit it for you.

Would that work? Would you do it? There is some FINE talent outside of North America, Masao, Rutger Warrink (RW) - to name just two.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible "Titan" was just used to reference the Saturnian moon, which in turn, was named after the Titans from Greek Mythology?

Do the other Saturnian moons follow any sort of pattern, a la the Uranian system (all females from Shakespeare).

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps