Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Titan design contest gets thumbs-up (Page 4)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Titan design contest gets thumbs-up
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humans make up only 15% of the crew yet the ships and class names all come from the Sol system.

Still an Earth-centric mindset in Starfleet.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, naming all the ships in the class after moons in the Sol System is a it Earth-centric for a vast interstelllar Federation (IMHO).

The other founding Federation worlds probably make insecurity jokes about humans always naming everything after themselves...

Still with 85% of the crew being non-human, that still means that 90% of the total crew will be humanoid with only the most minor facial additions or skin color variances.

I'd love to see an Andorian bridge officer: the way the Andorian character in the new DS9 books was handled was really well done.
A lot of cultural background was etablished for the Andorians and I hope it's not just discarded.

Some trills would be nice as well: mabye that babe from the Enterprise will transfer over with Riker.
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
No USS The Moon?

(Also, why would names be translated like that?)

We dont know exactly how the UT translates cultural proper names: usually ship names dont translate at all but if someone asks what your ship's name means, that might be a problem.

I mentioned the same thing whan (on the JOAT forums) someone came up with the "Mephistopheles class".
It's just a baaad idea: like naming your ship the USS Electra.
Even the USS Phobos would take some explaining..."God of Fear" and all that. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soo. . . Luna-class, and NCC-80102. Question is, do we regard that as canon, canon-until-it's contradicted-onscreen-which is-unlikely-given-it'll-be-years-before-we-see-more-Trek-even-without-Riker-and-Troi, or non-canon?

I'm always suspicious of these themed naming schemes. Sisko called his Danubes after rivers because he felt like it. But having all Cheyennes names after Native American tribes. . . meh. One would hope they'd include non-Solar System moons right from the start. USS Praxis? USS Rura Penthe?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just how many non-Solar System moon names do we have anyway? And isn't Andoria a moon itself?

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, time to start speculating...

I'd wager most people in this contest are going to be thinking about an Intrepid-Sovereign cross. 450m and 350 crew is just fine, considering that Voyager was 344m long and had a crew of 150.

As such, I'm thinking SPACIOUS will be the key visual motif inside and out, in order to accomodate all the species they'll run into. Independent and redundant systems will also be a major factor, to highlight the endurance and reliability of the ship on super-extended missions. So, we're going to see considerations like:

- quad nacelles, OR notably advanced nacelles that can operate independently.

- expanded fuel and deuterium supply - Sternbach has written 3 years for Intrepid, five for Galaxy; we'd likely be talking 8-10 for Titan, no?

- if there's a separation capacity, each part would also be capable of significant warp AND sufficient capacity to house the entire crew for extended periods of time in each section, if one part were lost.

- bridge and all major facilities would be designed with significant ergonomics in mind

- Onboard manufacturing and repair facilities outstripping even the Intrepid class.

...And so forth.

So, if we're going to try to come up with a design from Flare, I'd suggest we start with a defined mission profile document (like at the start of the TNG:TM) and solicit design proposals that way.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
So, if we're going to try to come up with a design from Flare, I'd suggest we start with a defined mission profile document (like at the start of the TNG:TM) and solicit design proposals that way.

Actually, the first thing I think we need to do is find out if we can actually legally submit a joint effort with people outside the US/Canada to the contest. It seems like most of you are better at finding out such things than I, how about you guys look into that, hmm?

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm no lawyer, but I'm willing to believe that an entry made on behalf of a group or entity is perfectly allowed. That's the bare minimum we'd get away with, though something on behalf of "The Flare Sci-Fi Forums" or somesuch could be allowed, as long as all participants agreed in principle that it is a group effort and will not seek individual credit or rights to the final design.

Then again, we could also make up an identity and submit it under that name - I've been looking for an excuse to use "Max E. Mumwahp" for a while now. [Smile] But if you ask me, I think this would be a neat project for the gang to put together, even if we don't submit it.

Mark

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I strongly suspect that you can't have a group design like that, and that creating a fake person would be even worse.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With 85% nonhumans, this ship is going to need a lot of toilets of various configurations.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I strongly suspect that you can't have a group design like that, and that creating a fake person would be even worse.

Agreed. We need to pick a represenitive, living in the US, and who is at least semi-active here.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, who will be Flare's stooge?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I live in Canada. TECHNICALLY I'd qualify, but you know how this Americentric contests tend to work.

Mark

--------------------

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say Mark or Masao, they seem to be pretty active and have a good working knowledge of starship design and such...
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Well, time to start speculating...

I'd wager most people in this contest are going to be thinking about an Intrepid-Sovereign cross. 450m and 350 crew is just fine, considering that Voyager was 344m long and had a crew of 150.

As such, I'm thinking SPACIOUS will be the key visual motif inside and out, in order to accomodate all the species they'll run into. Independent and redundant systems will also be a major factor, to highlight the endurance and reliability of the ship on super-extended missions.Mark

Well, seeing as Troi will be there, I'm expecting a mission status similar to the E-D - or other long-term missions. Voyager was never going to have a Counsellor.

I don't think it should be too advanced.

Is Riker more of a 'local affairs' type Captain - or an exploring type Captain?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
With 85% nonhumans, this ship is going to need a lot of toilets of various configurations.

Why? We've never even seen a toilet on Trek before.
Mabye they just beam it out into space (the real reason starships have deflectors- right there).
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Is Riker more of a 'local affairs' type Captain - or an exploring type Captain?

The storyline is supposed to wrap up some Nemesis loose ends and then be all exploration.

A good thing too: there's only so much we need to see a starship endlessly patroling Federation space- far too much TNG became that and the Sovvie does no exploring at all from what we've seen.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps