Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Titan design contest gets thumbs-up (Page 3)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Titan design contest gets thumbs-up
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's rather pointless to post any designs yet until the book comes out giving the description of the ship.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, that design won't work. The starboard nacelle's off. [Smile]

Rampant speculation isn't bad for SOME things, though. For the bridge, I look at it from a producer's perspective as well as a dramatic one. For example, Troi is aboard and is presumably still the counsellor and not first officer. Regardless, the bridge of the Titan will probbaly need a seat for a counsellor - so I'll be approaching it as having a tri-seat centre section. Likewise, as the Titan is likely to be a larger starship, the bridge will be on the order of the Sovereign class, but hopefully with a better arrangement of the same number of stations.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After catching the end of Nemesis the otherday, I am for them putting the Captain's Ready Room back on the "captain's left" - our right of screen.

So we have to wait for the book to come out? I thought that it was open slather at the moment?

What makes anyone suspect that it's a NEW ship? Maybe it's of the same vintage as the Sovereign/Intrepid/Prometheus classes - I would stick with in that region of classes.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going with that, and I suspect most people will be as well. From a production standpoint, we should stay within established Trek tech dogma. No wild innovations, no wierd and mysterious technologies. MAYBE something like a holocommunicator, or some of the other things that have cropped up over the years that would add a minor, but reasonable touch.

I guess one way of preparing would be to look at how some of the other book series have established starships. Palmieri and the other editors will be familiar with the processes that introduce readers to their starships, such as the Da Vinci, Gorkon, and Challenger; does anyone have those books, and would be willing to print the corresponding paragraphs that initially describe those ships?

Mark

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What makes anyone suspect that it's a NEW ship?
Because Marco Palmieri et. al have stated that it will be a new ship. If they were going to use an established design, then why would they have a contest? [Wink]

However, I'm guessing that you mean that the ship, while new, should come from the same "family" of newer designs (i.e. the Sovereign/Nova/Prometheus types). All I'm saying is that we don't know yet just how detailed the book's description will be until it comes out.

quote:
I guess one way of preparing would be to look at how some of the other book series have established starships. Palmieri and the other editors will be familiar with the processes that introduce readers to their starships, such as the Da Vinci, Gorkon, and Challenger; does anyone have those books, and would be willing to print the corresponding paragraphs that initially describe those ships?
The DaVinci is a Saber class ship.

The Gorkon has never been described in the books, but someone drew a schematic based on Keith DeCandido's oral description, and it's shown at the end of one of the books. IMO, it's a pretty bad design for a brand new class. All it is is the Vor'cha with a fatter body, a more squared-off nose, and a few extra disruptor cannons. The side and front views of the ship are identical to the Vor'cha. (Note - the schematic is actually a bit different from the cover art of the ship: The cover art makes the ship look exactly like a Vor'cha only substituting the rear top pod with a spike that extends behind the ship).

On the subject of cover art, the Challenger only bears a miniscule resemblance to how it's described in the book. The artwork depicts a Constitution class saucer and secondary hull. The neck is fatter and more golden colored than a normal Connie neck. Ditto for the two nacelles. The nacelle pylons are black and look like a girl's hair clip.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Challenger design is awful.

..as is that "Gorkon" as well: a LOT of Trek's covers (aside from the DS9 stuff which is bueatiful) have slid in the quality department.

The current SCE book boasts both a Steamrunner and Sabre on it's cover and is honestly, the worst illustration I've ever seen on a nationally published book.

Even the old TNG book cover with the upside-down battlestar galactica photo is FAR better.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cover for the first Titan novel appears to rock. No ship though.

-

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VERY nice.
This is what I was referring to.
It's actually far worse in person where you can see the rough outlines on the ships and the crooked windows and lifeboats on the Sabre.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marauth:

3. Re: the exclusion, I have only one phrase - bum-clouds. Not that I'd win, but it's highly unjust that the majority of the worlds population can't enter.

quote:
the differences in the laws governing contests that exist in different countries.
Sounds like ya'll need to talk to your local law makers.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*shudder* That cover is horrid. I love it when I can tell which photos the artst used as photo reference.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Hey, has a character list been released for Titan? It'd be nice if we knew of any special character positions, so better to build a bridge for. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
*shudder* That cover is horrid. I love it when I can tell which photos the artst used as photo reference.

FAR better than using the same stills and painting a really sloppy illustration of the same scene (as on that awful SCE book- really, so look at it in the bookstore: you'll wretch in the asile).

Though I cant imagine wht the former Preator is on tyhe cover- it's not as though a sizable portion of the novel will focus on his ashes (hopefully, anyway).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the book is about the Preator's unstable clone and how he attempts to take control of the Romulan government.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The Titan's description is posted online now:
quote:
Here are the main parts of the concept notes from the back of the titan novel...(not exactly word for word)

Titan Concept notes

USS Titan, NCC 80102, Luna-Class

The Titan is a mid-size starfleet vessel, approx. 450m in length, with a crew complement of 350, Titans hull configuration is comparable to other SF vessels.

Luna class is SF newest-gen long-range explorer, a starship but not built specifically for combat, but like the connie, a vessel designed for a long term multipurpose mission into uncharted space. Equipped with conventional Tactical systems (deflector shields, phasers, quantum torps) Titan also boasts state-of-the-art propulsion and cutting-edge scientific equipment as well as being a testbed for experimental scienc tech not yet available on other classes.

The Titan is manned by the most varied multispecies crew in SF history, with humans comprising less than 15% of the 350 member crewthe diversity of the crew is intended to facilitate stories that will explore the ways that beings of different cultures, biologies, psychologies and physical appearances learn how to work together, or fail to, depending on the circumstances they encounter.

The Luna-class development project was initiated in 2369 in response to the discovery of the Bajoran wormhole.
Field testing of the USS Luna began in 2372, but the projected was shelved due to the dominion war, then resumed in 2375.

LUNA-Class Fleet:

all ships named for moons in the Sol System (Terran Solar System)

Amalthea
Callisto
Charon
Europa
Galatea
Ganymede
Io
Luna
Oberon
Rhea
Titan
Triton

Intresting- a crew of only 350!
This means the Titan is either mostly automated (unlikely) or much smaller than the Sovvie!
It's only as long as an Excelsior, at any rate.

Makes sense as the ships in the class are all named after moons (as opposed to the notion of "Titan" refering to mythology or referring to size.

I dont know if I'd want to serve aboard the USS Charon: imagine what the UT broadcasts to a new species- "Ferryman into the afterlife".

Real good for First Contact situations. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No USS The Moon?

(Also, why would names be translated like that?)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps