Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG: Eyes on the Nukes! ("The Eye of Jupiter" $$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: BSG: Eyes on the Nukes! ("The Eye of Jupiter" $$$)
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible that Pegasus had spare nukes or the materials to build them. In fact, knowing he was going to sacrifice Pegasus, Lee probably would have left its nukes behind, just like its fighters.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Adama said they only had ten or so nukes, back when Baltar (or rather, Fantasy-Six) asked for one.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About ol' Baltar, even though I'm sure everyone hates his guts, do they know about his part in the nuking of Cloud 9? Do they even know that the warhead they gave him and the one used in the bombing are one and the same?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Awful bright for a planet with no star...

Mark

It was an awful bright star cluster, as I recall. [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it was. But after everyone jumped out in orbit of the planet, the flace wasn't any brighter than any other planet they've been in orbit around. The local light was more localized radiation or something, no? And it's not visible except when you're IN the soup, for the same reason we were never able to "see" the Dephic Expanse from "Enterprise"?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MNW: Yes, Adama and the others knew that the nuke was the one that Baltar had. From Adama's dialogue briefing him on the situation, he seemed to believe that it had been stolen from Baltar's laboratory.

Because I'd guess that Adama doesn't think that even Baltar would want to nuke a Human ship... at least not on purpose! (Giving the nuke to Gina was the single stupidest thing he's ever done, though.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
(Giving the nuke to Gina was the single stupidest thing he's ever done, though.)

More stupid than letting the rise of his wanker bring about the fall of all humanity?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Yes, simply because Baltar had absolutely no idea, and couldn't possibly have known, the potential stakes involved. Sure, giving Caprica Six access to the defense mainframe was stupid, but there's no way he could've figured she was a Cylon planning universal armageddon.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only was it stupid but I'm pretty sure it was illegal and even if she wasn't a cylon she could still have been a spy or some other enemy of the colonies(not that I could think there could be many).
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm assuming that at some point the roof of the temple will open to show the star, and comprehension will dawn on all involved.

And, Mathias turns out to be a bit of a hottie under all that body-armour.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed this also...

I did like the Chief wandering off. I thought that was pretty cool. The Starbuck/Apollo romance thing is wearing a bit thin for me at this point. I do like that Anders is becoming more three-dimensional, but again, Lee's behaviour strikes me as incongruous.

So I guess I'm a little unclear about why and how they had to jump through the firey bit in the previous episode. Like why they couldn't go around? What the firey bit was? How this relates to the near-nova star the Algae planet is orbiting. If it was surrounded by the firey bit, how did they know the algae planet was even there? Stuff like that.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about other people, but I have a low tolerance for watching characters behave stupidly. There's only so much I can take before I give up in disgust. And Starbuck is getting that way. After all that she's been through, it still turns out that the main interest she has for Lee (gah!) is the danger of an adulterous relationship. "I don't believe in divorce, it's a sin?" The fuck?!

I also don't know what was going on in the previous ep. Something about the ships of the Fleet being unable to jump to the star's coordinates in one go. But why? It can't be the distance involved, if a Raptor was able to navigate its way through in real space. So they had to take the non-mil ships through in batches, empty, with their passengers transferred onto the Galactica. But why did they keep talking about round trips? Was the Galactica capable of doing the jump in one go, and even if not all it needed to do was keep the Raptors onboard for the outward leg (to pick up the next batch of ships)?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or why didn't they use the heavy raider brain Raptor? You know, the one which let them get back to Caprica in only ten jumps? Seemed like it was just an excuse to kill Kat.

I understood the arguement for not being able to go round it (too big, not enough food left) and that they needed two jumps to get through and that the civvie ships didn't have sufficient shielding, etc. But they established the super jump brain raptor thing ages ago.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there's a technically plausable reason for the events of the last episode, at least I don't think they wasted too much time thinking one up. The story reason is that they needed the fleet endure "rough seas" and for it to have meaning they felt the need to kill off a popular character. Not that I disagree, just a little irritated that it had to be Kat, but then I suppose there can only be one Starbuck and lets be honest, Kat was in danger of becoming a more interesting character than Kara.

Speaking of which, in an odd way I sort of like her religious hypocracy, more evidence of a very screwed up childhood.
Who's betting her mum was a psycotic Sacred Scroll basher?

P.S. Maybe the heavy raptor died? They are partly organic and will gradually degrage if not fed in some way. I'd be willing to bet that the fleet doesn't have the technology to maintain them for very long.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone pointed this out on another board - the symbol in the temple is the same on that Starbuck painted in her apartment on Caprica (Season 2 "Valley of Darkness"). I don't know if that's supposed to mean something, or if it's the equivalent of drawing the Cross, but there you go.
http://bsgmedia.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=212&pos=207
http://bsgmedia.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=37&pos=236

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps