Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG: Eyes on the Nukes! ("The Eye of Jupiter" $$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: BSG: Eyes on the Nukes! ("The Eye of Jupiter" $$$)
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First comment: Usually I don't mind watching the promos for upcoming episodes, and we all KNOW that the cliffhanger won't be resolved as the conclusion implies... but it kinda destroys the effect of the drama and tension when the frakking network gives you a promo entirely about the ongoing Starbuck and Apollo Soap Opera, completely ruining any of the suspense. You'd think they'd at least play along with the cliffhanger and leave everything a bit obscure and uncertain!

My highlight of the evening: Chief, wistfully recounting his experiences sneaking into his father's study... [Big Grin]

Also, is it blindingly obvious to everyone else too that the "Eye of Jupiter" is actually the STAR and not an object inside the temple? I kinda wondered after the first transition from that big circle-shaped poster on the obelisk out to the star in space, but the second time they did the same trick kinda gave the whole thing away.

In terms of plot and characters, I've been really impressed with how they've developed Anders this season. They took him from being "Token Guy Starbuck's Mooning Over" and ran with it. He understands her better than she thinks. And he's got Lee pretty well nailed, too (metaphorically speaking, you pervs!). Though I'm severely disappointed in Lee... even though we know he's had this thing for Starbuck for ages, I thought he was better than that.

I also feel vindicated, because I was pretty sure all along that Adama did NOT know that Hera was still alive, that Roslin had made that decision all by herself. Although Adama didn't come out and say it in the episode, his reaction pretty clearly showed it. It's the first time she's gone around his back since Kobol, too. But fortunately for Sharon/Athena, this is the best way for her (so to speak), because a great deal of her loyalty to the Humans (other than Helo, obviously) is to Adama directly. I hadn't gone back to see "Downloaded" again, but I was pretty sure that Adama hadn't been involved in that decision, thus leaving him mostly off the hook and still "worthy" of Sharon's loyalty. He's right, she'll manage to get over it. Mostly.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a bit confused about Adama's complicity, as well. When the Spouses Agathon confront him about it, he doesn't deny being involved, and he doesn't seem particularly aghast. But then, when he confronts Roslin about it, he tells her what he's been told, and she confirms it, implying that he didn't already know whether it was true or not. And I can't remember anymore, either, whether he was involved with the babyswitch last year, or not. You'd think, since the doctor was involved, the ship's commander would know about it, too, though.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting to note how Baltar and D'Anna now "share a destiny" while poor Caprica is left in the cold.
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
I was a bit confused about Adama's complicity, as well. When the Spouses Agathon confront him about it, he doesn't deny being involved, and he doesn't seem particularly aghast. But then, when he confronts Roslin about it, he tells her what he's been told, and she confirms it, implying that he didn't already know whether it was true or not. And I can't remember anymore, either, whether he was involved with the babyswitch last year, or not. You'd think, since the doctor was involved, the ship's commander would know about it, too, though.

The podcast isn't out yet so we wont know for sure, but i'm pretty sure Adama did not know about it.

Also, I'm getting a strong vibe that there's some sort of connection between the Temple of the Five and the five missing Cylon models.

We'll know in six weeks i guess

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure the temple was in the vision of the final five that D'Anna had a few episodes back.

As for Adama, I think his reaction says it all. He didn't know.

Slightly disturbing that Galactica has nukes for planetary strikes. I mean, who would they be used against in the days before the armistice line was crossed?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess would be possible separatists/ terrorist groups, those belonging to the same ilk as Zarek.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Adama knew all about the baby being given to Maya, but didn't know that Roslin had been in so much contact with mother and baby on Caprica. Hera was supposed to disappear into the fleet and be watched over from a distance, not be looked after by the bloody President.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, former president. At the time.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I may be a little slow on the pickup, but I didn't catch the Eye of Jupiter = star bit. And to me, it didn't look like the planet had a star. It appeared as though the planet got its light from the cluster.

Also, if the Cylons want the Eye bad enough and they believe its on the planet, couldn't they just jump a baseship into the path of the nukes?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They specifically mentioned that the planet's star is about to go nova.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
My guess would be possible separatists/ terrorist groups, those belonging to the same ilk as Zarek.

Perhaps, but what are they about to do with enough nukes to glass a continent? Then think the kind of payload the likes of Pegasus were carrying.

Besides, don't terrorists & rebels have a habit of blending in with the civilian population? Nukes aren't much good against an enemy like that.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the nukes aren't specifically used against ground targets. The Cylons do have a habit of using nukes on colonial vessels afterall.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
They specifically mentioned that the planet's star is about to go nova.

Yes, I know that but I said it didn't look like it had its own star. And when they said the star was going to go nova it threw me for a loop; "what star?" said I.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awful bright for a planet with no star...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't they mention in the miniseries or right after specifically how many nukes they have? And isn't it on the order of half a dozen or less? And haven't they used about that many in the intervening two and a half years?

Also, on a cosmic timescale, isn't it just as likely for a star to go nove 10,000 years from now as tomorrow?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps