Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » BSG: Eyes on the Nukes! ("The Eye of Jupiter" $$$) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: BSG: Eyes on the Nukes! ("The Eye of Jupiter" $$$)
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression that the ships couldn't jump from outside the cluster to the planet on the other side due to the immense gravity wells of so many stars so close together. They could get sucked into a planet if they didn't plot their course right. So I think that's why they had to jump into the cluster, navigate a bit, then jump out: they navigated through the most intense section of the cluster, gravity-wise.

As for why they needed to make round trips, that seemed pretty obvious to me: Galactica can't hold 50000 people. And even if it could, there aren't enough Raptors/pilots to have one per ship in the fleet.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And as to why they couldn't go around the cluster instead, they said that would take too long, and everyone would've starved to death. (Well, half of them could've... [Wink] )

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also cannibalism. [Wink]
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's exactly what I meant when I said "half"! [Wink]

Also, to go back to the objection to the prediction of the timing of the upcoming nova, I have no problem believing that it's possible to have a much more solid and reliable model of star behavior if you have the chance to send people out there to do observations. All we can do is sit on our hands and watch the show, here on Earth. But if you've got a science ship actually watching a nova from a few AUs away (and then jumping out before getting fried), then you'll learn a lot more and be able to predict with much greater precision when the actual explosion could happen.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
Someone pointed this out on another board - the symbol in the temple is the same on that Starbuck painted in her apartment on Caprica (Season 2 "Valley of Darkness"). I don't know if that's supposed to mean something, or if it's the equivalent of drawing the Cross, but there you go.
http://bsgmedia.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=212&pos=207
http://bsgmedia.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=37&pos=236

Interesting...but as you pointed out, it could be just generic religious imagery, Kara is known to be a bit of a closet zealot.

Mind you it dose put the odds of her being one of the final five up a bit, since Baltar clearly is not one of them.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

I'm going to be pissed if ANY of the recurring characters turns out to be a Cylon at this point. Even minor ones like Gaeta have had some good, meaty scenes developing their depth. Making them a closet Cylon completely destroys that and makes them into a completely different character.

--------------------

Bones McCoy
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for Bones McCoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we know Adama won't launch the nukes (at least not at the planet) because Sam and Apollo still have to duke it out over Starbuck, and the ground party has to come to fisticuffs with the centurions... My guess is that the Old Man's gonna launch against the BaseShips, and then extract the folks down below while the Cylons recover.

The temple, as a matter of course, will be destroyed... we all know what Cylons do to planets 'infested' by humans.

--------------------
"Brave men are vertebrates: they have their softness on the outside, and their toughness in the middle"
-Lewis Carrol

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Tyrol is gonna accidentally activate a shield or something.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dualla will turn out to be a Cylon.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Her near-obsessive need to have someone, anyone, fall in love with her would seem to suggest that; but at this stage, if she did turn out to be one, it'd almost be a let-down. She's TOO obvious.

This idea of the Final Five being so deep-cover that even the Other Seven don't know who they are means, in theory, that a lot of the "x can't be a Cylon because y" arguments can be rendered invalid (I'd give examples, but it's late and I'm tired and can't remember any). I'm however thinking that instead someone now dead, and missed by all, will suddenly reappear very much alive and thus be revealed as one of the Final Five. Someone like Billy, or Jammer, or Ellen Tigh. Someone whose death had a resonance that will be invalidated by the fact it was all, at the end of the day, a sham.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

That's an interesting idea, but I still disagree. Those characters still had great depth for their relatively minor roles, and the shock value of bringing them back doesn't cancel out the fact that their previous characterization would still be wiped out.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Billy would be a good one to bring back.

I'm not sure that the thing about the final 5 is even that they're deep cover agents at all.
I'm thinking maybe there was a schism early on, maybe even before the end of the last war and they either just left for parts unknown or fled to the colonies and wiped their memories.

Another theory occus, what if they're not the final five but the FIRST five? Which could mean the reason that the Seven can't talk about them is that they don't know them, meaning the 5 were the ones who created the other 7. Just an idea.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's more the line I've been thinking along.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Except that D'Anna is Number Three, remember?

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

And Sharon is Number Eight. If the numbers are consecutive or chronological in any way then wouldn't the final 5 include numbers Eight through Twelve?

So either the Sharons are one of the five or the numbers themselves aren't significant.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps