Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TNG display (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: TNG display
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In what TNG episode did this display appear? (Or was it multiple eps? Which was the first?) Can someone please make a screen/DVD cap from the actual show?

Thanks,
-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the actual graphic came from that vitual bridge tour CD-ROM. The graphic itself was allegedly one of the repeating bakgrounds they had in the latter seasons.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it isn't an exact replica of it, then it's at least based off of one of the two LCARS displays that they used in the Bridge Observation lounge during the latter seasons of The Next Generation. I wanna say it was the latter half of season five through seven. The first I noticed it was in the two-parter "The Chains of Command." One of the screens showed fleet status (like the one you linked to) and the other was a vehicle status that views of the Enterprise.

Let me see if I can hunt some pictures down.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I couldn't find screen captures from the episodes that these displays were in. Hopefully someone else can. In the meantime, I pulled out my old Interactive Technical Manual CD and pulled some captions off of it. Yeah, the quality isn't too hot (since I had convert from *.pic to *.jpg), but it should do in the meantime.

Screenshot 1 -- Here's your display from across the observation lounge.
Screenshot 2 -- Here's a close-up of your display's cousin.
Screenshot 3 -- Here's a close-up of the display you have.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pardon my ignorance of exactly what the Interactive Technical Manual is, but: Is this a picture of the actual display or some kind of graphic representation of it? I'm noticing some differences between it and the version from The Captain's Chair. (Spelling of Merrimac and Zhukov registry.)

This now means that we have THREE versions of this display. The one in your pic, (1) the one from The Captain's Chair, which I have always thought might have been altered, (2) and the possibly pre-production version published in the Starlog magazine. And we STILL don't know for sure which one is the canon one...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure that the one from the Interactive Manual is canon. It's nearly identical to the one from Starlog, only Yosemite was changed to Merced.

Here's a comparison between the 3 versions. Differences are marked red.
http://home.arcor.de/spike730/comparison.doc

And if you look at this screenshot of the display, you'll see that it is a diplomatic mission to Epsilon Ashanti II and not Aldaraan.
http://home.arcor.de/spike730/display.jpg

BTW: That display is also interesting:
http://www.st-spike.de/questions3.jpg

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That ship list display was seen in multiple episodes on the Mission Ops station at the back of the bridge. I remember seeing it just the other day in "Sins of the Father". You can see the Mission Ops station when Dr. Crusher brings up the Intrepid log's medical information on the Environment console.

There's another list just like that one, but I haven't been able to compile the complete list of names yet. The sector numbers are also different at the top of the second list graphic. The second graphic was on a data PADD.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

The Interactive Technical Manual was a CD-ROM that was released in 1994 around the end of The Next Generation. It was essentially Okuda and Sternbach's technical manual for the Enterprise-D but it allowed you to tour the main areas of the ship and look at numerous props. The sets toured included the Bridge, Ready Room, ObsLounge, Engineering, Sickbay, Transporter Room, Ten-Forward, and a few quarters (I think Picard's, Troi's, Data's, and Worf's). It also allowed you to pick up, zoom in, and spin around some of the props (like numerous padds, some medical and engineering tools, etc.). Most importantly, it allowed you to zoom in on many of the LCARS displays.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that the LCARS displays in the Interactive Technical Manual are the same ones that were used on the show. They just created QuickTime tours and took photographs of the sets before they transformed for Generations (or possibly "All Good Things..."). As far as I know, nothing was created or modified especially for the CD-ROM (someone with more info can correct me if I'm wrong).

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
That ship list display was seen in multiple episodes on the Mission Ops station at the back of the bridge. I remember seeing it just the other day in "Sins of the Father". You can see the Mission Ops station when Dr. Crusher brings up the Intrepid log's medical information on the Environment console.

That means use of it as early as late Season 3. Can ANYONE possibly find out which episode it was first used in? When did the Starlog issue w/the graphic come out? And can someone please get a screenshot from an actual episode. (I don't doubt the veracity of the Tech Manual CD pics, but I'd still like confirmation.)

quote:
There's another list just like that one, but I haven't been able to compile the complete list of names yet. The sector numbers are also different at the top of the second list graphic. The second graphic was on a data PADD.
Do you have any pics? [Smile] Have we considered the possibility that Okuda might have just taken the original version of the display (whichever one that was) and altered it for different appearances?

I think I may have to conceed that Starfleet's vessel is indeed named the Merrimac and not the Merrimack, as it was spelled as the former on both this display and the tachyon detection grid graphic from "Redemption." I suppose it could still be named for the Civil War ship. (If people have been misspelling it for two-hundred years, I suppose they might still be misspelling it in another two or three-hundred. At least this jives with the Franz Joseph ship from TMP...) And now I'm more convinced than ever that the Zhukov's reg is NCC-62136 and not NCC-26136. (I guess Ambassadors were in production until not all that long ago...)

Perhaps someone should consult Mr. Okuda on the subject. I could do it, but perhaps someone who's had a bit more contact with him than I have should do th honors. (I've only written to him once or twice.) Maybe he could help to straighten this whole thing out.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... From a Trek-Reality POV, I could understand the mission assignements changeing but not the class-type or NCC numbers... Unless they change the NCC numbers to confuse the "enemy" like the russians did with thier sub-hull numbers.

The class "could" change, prehaps if the entire class was refit or reclassifed or somthing...

Ah, whatever... Back to my extruder... [Smile]

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMoM:

The second starship list graphic was on a data PADD. I can scan a photo if you like, but it's really hard to read all the text. What text I've been able to confirm comes from looking at vessel calss name lengths, name lengths and registry lengths, and making comparisons to known vessels. (As an example, the word Tian nan men is broken into 3 parts, so that one was easy. I can tell Thomas Paine is in the list still for the same reason.) The "list 2" picture is on card 072 of the TNG Trading Cards: Fifth Season Commemorative 1991/1992.

From what I can tell, the sector numbers appear to be "25xxx - 29x12", the x's are the numbers I'm not certain of. I can tell it's a slightly different list as the first 3 names at the to are long, short and long, where in the first list Ajax, Aires, and Berlin are about the same length. The new list is as follows:

USS ?????
USS Aries
USS ?????
USS ?????
USS Hood
USS Merrimac
USS ?????
USS Repulse
USS Thomas Paine
USS ?????
USS ?????
USS ?????

--------------------

The original list appears in Starlog's version of the TNG Magazine, Vol 15, 90-91 Season, page 35. (K'Ehleyr, Alexander and Worf are on the cover.)

--------------------
Stephen L.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Sure, I'd like to see a scan just for the hell of it, even if it's not really possible to tell a lot from it...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

I have just sent an e-mail to Okuda regarding this issue, as well as another question about the tachyon detection grid display from "Redemption." I am awaiting his reply...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this list we are awaiting a scan of - the lengthy-looking one from "Measure of a Man"?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

SoundEffect
Member # 926

MMoM:

Here's a scan I did of the trading card with the PADD starship list. It has the same number of ships as the first list, just some of the ships changed as did the sector numbers. It's actually easier to read them on the card with a magnifying glass than it is in the scan I made. I scanned 100% at 600dpi. Hope it helps. I am still going through my list of ships from season 5 and earlier. If I can make any more positive IDs, I'll post in.

Second Ship List (~436kb)

--------------------
Stephen L.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps