Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TNG display (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: TNG display
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:

This now means that we have THREE versions of this display. The one in your pic, (1) the one from The Captain's Chair, which I have always thought might have been altered, (2) and the possibly pre-production version published in the Starlog magazine. And we STILL don't know for sure which one is the canon one...
-MMoM [Big Grin]

Er, none of them? Since if we treat barely legible text seen onscreen as canon, then we're going to have to add a whole lot of other crazy shit in too.

I'm not saying that the stuff isn't interesting to look at, or to use for research, but I don't think you can argue that any of those versions has any real canonicity over the other two.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there's an emergent syndrome worth studying here, namely the compulsion to grow one's shiplist like some sort of deranged Chia-Pet.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Er, none of them? Since if we treat barely legible text seen onscreen as canon, then we're going to have to add a whole lot of other crazy shit in too.

I'm not saying that the stuff isn't interesting to look at, or to use for research, but I don't think you can argue that any of those versions has any real canonicity over the other two.

Well, their function shiplist-wise is essentially to "prove" that at least *these* Encyclopedia class/registry/name associations aren't made up. All of the ships listed, IIRC, were mentioned or featured in other episodes, but not necessarily with class and reg info. However, it the classes and regs *were* onscreen. Namely, in the form of these displays.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMoM,

I once wrote Mr. Okuda on this very subject. He replied that the ship name/class/registry found in the encyclopedia for TNG on was from source material (okudagrams, models) on the filmed episodes and films. We can see this pattern in the encyclopedia. The entries for ships introduced after 1986 never say the information for a particular ship is conjectural. The term conjectural is reserved for ships of TOS, a show for which Mr. Okuda had little or no involvement with.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been scrutinizing the trading card until my eyes hurt. The following list is based on a few known facts and a few well founded assumptions. I feel my list is about 80% accurate.

Assumptions/Facts:
-Many of the vessels from the first list are in the new one in the same places.
-Many of the confirmed new entries are from the Tachyon Detection Grid ships, so the unconfirmed ones may be from the rest of that list.
-The PADD contains ships from season's 1-5 only.
-Even on the trading card the words were difficult to read...most of the information is from ship name lengths compared to class name lengths, name lengths compared to known values elsewhere in the list. Numbers such as 1s, 7s, and other spacings sometimes yield hints.
-My list won't include the assignments. Some are the same, but I can't trust the sector numbers.

My take on List 2: (underscores are unknowns)

STARFLEET OPERATIONS - SECTORS 25___ - 2_012

• USS ENDEAVOUR NEBULA NCC-71805
USS ARIES RENAISSANCE NCC-45167
• USS EXCALIBUR AMBASSADOR NCC-26517

• USS TIAN NAN MEN MIRANDA NCC-21382
• USS CHARLESTON EXCELSIOR NCC-42285
• USS SUTHERLAND NEBULA NCC-72015
• USS GODDARD KOROLEV NCC-59621
• USS HOOD EXCELSIOR NCC-42296
• USS MERRIMAC NEBULA NCC-61827
• USS HORNET RENAISSANCE NCC-45231
USS AHWAHNEE CHEYENNE NCC-71620
• USS THOMAS PAINE NEW ORLEANS NCC-65530
USS TRIESTE MERCED NCC-37124
• USS AKAGI RIGEL NCC-62158
• USS HERMES ANTARES NCC-10376

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing new then by the looks of it.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with you on every single one of those names except perhaps the Hermes. The class for the last entry looks like Excelsior. Is there any other ship it might be? On the other hand, if it *is* the Hermes, then we have confirmation of the Encyclopedia's listing of it as an Antares-class vessel.

Good work.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Page 65 of "The Continuing Mission" book gives evidence of the first starship list.

--------------------
Stephen L.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
Page 65 of "The Continuing Mission" book gives evidence of the first starship list.

What does it say?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we talking about that ship list from Measure of a Man??

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

SoundEffect
Member # 926

Sorry, I figured everyone had this book. [Embarrassed]

It shows a shot of the conference lounge from behind the windows looking in. The gold models are gone, so it's the later season horizontal detail. Through one of the windows, you can see the list on the starboard side viewer, and from the name lengths, it's ovbious it's the first ship list. Here's a scan of the pic:

Conference Lounge Ship List

[ December 09, 2002, 10:31: Message edited by: SoundEffect ]

--------------------
Stephen L.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:

It's like the ONE book I don't have. It was too expensive and seemed not to have all that much new info in it that would be valuable to me... [Cool]

Incidentally, I've changed my mind about the Hermes. I can see it now...

quote:
The original list appears in Starlog's version of the TNG Magazine, Vol 15, 90-91 Season, page 35. (K'Ehleyr, Alexander and Worf are on the cover.)

Would you happen to have this? Can a better scan be made of that list than the one I have? I'd like to see what the "Beta xxxxxA" system in which the Fearless operates is. (This goes for anyone who's got the issue, as well.)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
quote:

It's like the ONE book I don't have. It was too expensive and seemed not to have all that much new info in it that would be valuable to me...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

The list shown in that screen cap above is in Continuing Mission!?!

I got the second-version of the book. I got it for about $5.00 [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

SoundEffect
Member # 926

No problem, MMoM. Here's a clearer scan of Starfleet Operations Ship List 1.

Partially because of this thread, I recreated the graphic in Illustrator. Anyone want to see it?

--------------------
Stephen L.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time I click on one of Sound Effect's links, all I get is the FortuneCity logo.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps