Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TNG display (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: TNG display
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dukhat:

For probably a similar reason, the same happens for me with Angelfire sites...I don't know why.

You may be able to get it by right-clicking and selecting 'Save Target As'.

I know many people have been able to see it, so I assure you the pic's there. I don't know why it wouldn't load.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. I tried what you said & it still gave me the logo. I don't suppose you'd be willing to email your pics to me? My addy is [email protected]. I'd really like to see them.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgive me for being a little slow but do we actually know which lists were used in what season? Since knowing that would help anyone who is obsessive about making excruciatingly detailed ship lists.
*guilty look*

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
do we actually know which lists were used in what season?

To a degree we can. Many have noticed that Mike Okuda hides little fun in-jokes in most of his Okudagrams, the number 47 or M*A*S*Hs 4077 number or something of that nature. Well I also noticed that many of his screen graphics also have a number which seems to correspond to the season he made the graphic, at least it works in most cases. If you look to the left of the word USS Zhukov in the first shiplist graphic, you see the number 40274. The number at the end indicates the season of the graphic. The number was 40271 in season 1 and so on.

--------------------
Stephen L.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great pic, SE!

"Mahoga." Never would've guessed that one... [Wink]

Dukkie, all of the pics have worked fine for me. [Razz] Perhaps SE could put them on Flare Upload and make them available that way.

My take on these lists is this:
-There were only two lists ever used onscreen. The one pictured in Siggie's pic from the Interactive Tech Manual, and the one from SE's trading card.
-The Starlog one was, as thought previously, as preproduction version. Okuda must have either decided he didn't like the Yosemite-class designation or else he thought of some reason why Merced would be better. There appears to be no other difference between the Starlog version and the episode version.
-The one from the Captain's Chair was altered in order to 'fit better' with what had since been published in the Encyclopedia, etc. (Specifically, the spelling of Merrimack and the registry of the Zhukov were changed, and Okuda or whoever else took the opportunity to drop in a couple new sector and starbase numbers and the Star Wars joke.)

Cool that we could get this sorted out. But we still need to figure out the following:
-In which episode did the "real" display appear, and how long did it remain in use?
-Is the second display (the one that also includes the "Redemption" ships) visible in any episodes, and if so, which ones?

I suspect that the newly-released Season 6 TNG DVD boxed set will help with these. But then again, SE said he noticed the first display as early as "Sins of the Father." Spikey, can you or someone else verify this?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A reminder for all that the Flare upload is only available to those members who have made at least 250 posts and are declared "Senior Member".

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Is the second display (the one that also includes the "Redemption" ships) visible in any episodes, and if so, which ones?
IIRC Picard had a PADD in "Redemption" when he chose the ships for his fleet.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This PADD and the shiplist are, for me, definitive proof there was only one U.S.S. Ahwahnee of the Cheyenne Class. You will argue, the U.S.S. Endeavour is reputed to be the only vessel to survive the Wolf 359 battle. My response, What is the exact definiton of "to survive"? Does it mean the ship left the battle on its own power, like the U.S.S. Nevada at the Battle of Pearl Harbor, or does it mean like the ship was intact and could be salvaged later, like the U.S.S. California damaged at the aforementioned battle and later salvaged? I think the former, not the latter. We know from detail study of the battle area that the U.S.S. Endeavour was not there and the U.S.S. Ahwahnee was. Furthermore, the U.S.S. Ahwahnee was not as badly damaged as the other ships and could have been salvaged.

It's rather silly attempting to rationalize a discrepancy when Mr. Okuda has already provided an answer.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the Endeavour didn't encounter the Borg at all. AFAIR Amasov only said: "It is my opinion that the Borg are as close to pure evil as any race we've ever discovered."

It is possible that he was at Wolf 359 after the battle and saw the destruction the Borg left there.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am in agreement, and my next shiplist update will reflect this. However, I'm a bit irked at the registry change. Why? It has been said that Okuda felt NCC-73620 was too high a number for a vessel in service in 2367, but it doesn't seem too far out of range. (After all, the Danube-class runabouts that were in service a year or so later had NCC's in the 72900's and 73000's.)

Spike: Is there a point where the PADD graphic is visible enough to make a screencap?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

Double post. Sorry.

[ December 11, 2002, 17:53: Message edited by: SoundEffect ]

--------------------
Stephen L.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
I'm a bit irked at the registry change. Why? It has been said that Okuda felt NCC-73620 was too high a number for a vessel in service in 2367, but it doesn't seem too far out of range. (After all, the Danube-class runabouts that were in service a year or so later had NCC's in the 72900's and 73000's.)

But is was Okuda who did the correction in the Encyclopedia, and the registry is brought down by only one number, not a complete change opf numbers. It's so much a cleaner solution to just accept one name, class, and registry for the ship than trying to justify two so close together. Again we go back to the Yamato example. Okuda made a 'correction' to the effect of "please ignore that last reference." I see the same thing being done to the Ahwahnee.

The Ahwahnee was in service before Wolf 359 happened, so it had to be around in 2366 as well. So being 2 or more years away from the 2368 Runabouts puts its registry a bit on the high side.

[ December 11, 2002, 14:27: Message edited by: SoundEffect ]

--------------------
Stephen L.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

I'm not authorized to delete double posts.

--------------------
Stephen L.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think anyone can delete posts... except Charles seeing as he's the one who's working on the coding.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, done it can be, yes. But a certain administrator would bust a Capps in our ass.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps