Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » On screen ships (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: On screen ships
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are going to count ships appearing only as models, what about ships appearing only as schematics? During the Kobayashi Maru exercise in STII, schematics of several Constiution-class derivatives, including a one-nacelle scout or destroyer and a 2-nacelle tug, from the "Starfleet Technical Manual" were visible on bridge monitors. Are these also canon?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, to be perfectly strict, this statement is canon: At the time of ST2, there were diagrams of those ships in the computer of the KM simulator. Now, from this, it could certainly be inferred that these ships are SF ships. In fact, I'd be very interested to know which ones they are. However, there are also people who would say the ships aren't necessarily in SF service, and that would be perfectly valid, too.

------------------
Rimmer: "Holly, put a trace on Paranoia."
Holly: "What's a trace?"
Rimmer: "It's space jargon. It means 'find him'."
Holly: "No it doesn't. You just made it up to sound cool."
-Red Dwarf: "Confidence & Paranoia"

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the episode "The Wounded", in Capt Maxwell's ready room, there is a model of a starship. This is not the Nebula Class model. Can someone get a picture of this ship?

If there schematics of the ships from the Star Fleet Technical Manuel,then this raises a question. Did the producers and directors of Star Trek 1 and 2 view the manuel as being "canonical"? And what about the USS Antares? Two items of notice-the USS Antares shares a registry with a ship of the Scout Class (Hermes) and is identified as SS Antares in the official synopsis to "Charlie X". This would change the status of the ship to a civilian ship and not the class ship of the Antares Class. In summation, this complicates the issue of the Star Fleet Technical Manuel and the USS Antares. According to Paramount, whatever is seen or heard on the episodes and films is canonical, so if the ships from the SFTM are in a film, this makes them canonical and this makes the SFTM canonical. What a fuckin mess. Jeez.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Hey there. Watch the language.

If the Designs from the Technical manual are in the Movies, then the designs themselves, and only the designs are canon. None of the names of whatnot.

I'm not really understanding your whole rant about the Antares. If you are comparing the name to any names in the Technical Manual, it is irrelevant. The names in those books are not canon, so you don't have to worry. And what synopsis are you talking about? One from startrek.com? Anything on that should be taken with a grain of salt. Or a whole silo. Remember the whole USS Antares NCC-47404?, Borg Killer at Wolf 424? Or the USS Trail?

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colin: I think it's just a model of the Phoenix:

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We've got some new songs here that are not even on the MP3 thing. They're not available in any format, except of course the bootlegs that seem to proliferate all through our audience, as we watch people lip-synch along to songs that HAVEN'T BEEN RELEASED! DAMN YOU!" - John Linnell

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited November 08, 1999).]

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way I see it, only the ship designs are canon. We can assume that they represent ships in Starfleet service, but their actual names, numbers, duration of service, etc, can only be conjecture. The rest of the SFTM cannot be considered canon. We cannot even assume that the two ships mentioned in radio chatter at the start of ST:TMP are actually the same ships shown in the SFTM. However, they might be.

A week or two ago, someone posted information about the technical manual (http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9081/rememberfj.html). This site tells all about the manual and its use in the movies. Highly recommended.

------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there an echo?
Really, though, the designs and only the designs are canon. Simple as that.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which designs were they, specifically?

------------------
Rimmer: "Holly, put a trace on Paranoia."
Holly: "What's a trace?"
Rimmer: "It's space jargon. It means 'find him'."
Holly: "No it doesn't. You just made it up to sound cool."
-Red Dwarf: "Confidence & Paranoia"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

I don't have the technical manual with me here at work so I can't give you the class names (which are not visible on screen anyway), but cropped but otherwise unaltered pages of the technical manual were used which show a 1-nacelle scout or destroyer and a 2-nacelle tug, both based on the Constitution. I believe the tug is the Ptolomey class and the scout or destroyer classes were Hermes or Cygnus. At the beginning of ST:TMP, you can hear the following names and registries on voice over: Revere NCC-595 and USS Columbia NCC-621. Both names and registries can be found in the technical manual.

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colin and The Shadow:

I think the model on Maxwell's desk is the original study model for USS Melbourne, as seen in "Future Imperfect". In that episode, this model (which has an elongated secondary hull compared to the real Nebula class) had two miniature warp nacelles in place of the dorsal module. These nacelles had red ramscoops and blue field windows, as all proper nacelles ought to have.

In "The Wounded", the real Nebula debuted for the first time, as a full-scale photographic model that was way bigger than the desktop study model. Obviously, this big model could not be used as desktop decoration, so the prop people chose the next best alternative: they slightly modified the old Melbourne model by painting the miniature nacelles white and connecting them with a piece of plastic so that the model *superficially* looks like the Phoenix.

If one looks closely, one can see the painted-over and connected nacelles of the desktop model do not quite match the wider and more graceful arch used as the module of the Phoenix. The too long secondary hull isn't evident from these photos, though.

The desktop model received a second "refit" when it was added to the desktop collection of Capt. Sisko. The ersatz module was replaced by a proper Nebula triangular model, but the secondary hull still sticks out.

So if we argue that models are canon, then we have proof for at least seven Nebula variants!

-Melbourne as seen in "Future Imperfect"
-Phoenix as filmed
-Phoenix as desktop model
-modern Nebula as filmed before Generations
-modern Nebula as filmed in Generations
-modern Nebula as seen in CGI in DS9
-modern Nebula as seen on Sisko's desktop

Three of these share the elongated secondary hull, so perhaps that config ought to become canon?

Timo Saloniemi

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and BTW, Frank... Any more of those screencaps of obscure models and ships? My heart always misses two-three beats when something like the above picture appears out of nowhere. Would you happen to have other pics archived somewhere deep in the bowels of your netsite, or something...?

Timo Saloniemi

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most images I have are on either my SFSD site or SWDAO. Here's the Nebula model from "Future Imperfect," though:

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We've got some new songs here that are not even on the MP3 thing. They're not available in any format, except of course the bootlegs that seem to proliferate all through our audience, as we watch people lip-synch along to songs that HAVEN'T BEEN RELEASED! DAMN YOU!" - John Linnell

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

As long as we're talking about obscure models, does anyone have any information on the Enterprise refit variant in that episode with the holodeck simulation of Leah Brahms? I seem to remember that in the drafing room at Utopia Planitia you can see an AMT/Ertl model of the refit Enterprise (missing the primary hull rim window pieces) with Constellation-style warp nacelles. Did I really see this or is was it a side effect of my youthful experimentation with mind-altering substances?

By the way, the 1-nacelle Constitution variants in the SFTM are called Saladin (not Cyngus) and Hermes.

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao! You took the words err type out from under my fingers

No, your not delusional, I mentioned it here a LONG time ago - its probably been forgotten... maybe if we ask Mr G. nicely he'd do a nice big screen capture of it.

The nacelles were also attaced differently - on the side like a Constellation class.

According to Mike Okuda - they dropped the E refit model and stuck it back together wrong... but how could they do that!?!

The saucer also had a thick ring around it - like an enlarged sensor rim - like on the ED... (from where they glued it back together I guess)

I wondered what it was doing in the drafting room... I suggested it might have been a ship that had a lot of subsystems of the ED - i.e. a testbed ship - like the Pegasus.

------------------
"Remove your hand or I will remove your arm!" - 7 of 9

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, wasn't the Pegasus originally a 4 nacelled ship as well?

hmm...

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

[This message has been edited by The359 (edited November 09, 1999).]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps