Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » On screen ships (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: On screen ships
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo: Nice suggestions about the desktop model. I think this particular Nebula could be ferrying those nacelles indeed.

Another possibility is that the Nebula is used as a testbed for the small nacelles. Maybe this is actually the first Nebula ever built (the USS Nebula NX-60xxx), and unlike the other ships that made it into regular service, it is still in experimental status. It is also possible that the secondary hull was shortened for the subsequent ships, and only the USS Nebula retained the long hull. I know that locomotive prototypes are often used as test vehicles, since the differences to the series models are too many to employ them for daily service (difficulties with maintenance and spare parts).

I should have a better image of the Future Imperfect Nebula somewhere, so I could measure the nacelles. If this model was made from two AMT kits (the big and the small Enterprise-D kit), the scale would be obvious, this case the small nacelles would be 56% the length of the large ones. I will try to draw a 2D sketch.

------------------
"When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way."
A somewhat different Janeway in VOY: "Living Witness"
Ex Astris Scientia

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to try to hurry you up or anything, but...
http://www.edmiarecki.com/Formatting/p11.html

Unfortunately, the pic also could be used to argue that the ship in question is the Melbourne, not the Nebula - the registry is *almost* visible . Anyway, the top nacelles do seem like 56% versions of the bottom ones, which comes very close to an unstretched variant of the New Orleans nacelles. So those engines would make a Freedom very similar in size to its forebears Hermes and Saladin. Niagara in turn would shrink to Constitution dimensions, provided that the Fact Files image is to be trusted at all.

Dang, I'm getting virtually no work done today

Timo Saloniemi

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The blurry name does look like USS Melbourne. Wasn't this design meant to be the Nebula-class study model? Oh, as most of you already know, the USS Melbourne was a Nebula before "Emissary" changed history.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can ANYONE grab that pic from "Booby Trap"? Or is Frankie-babe our only screen-grabbist around here I must say Frank's grabs are always so crisp and delightful... I'm thinking of getting a vid-cap-card... what is a good one!?! Frank...?

------------------
Ralph: Um, Miss Hoover? There's a dog in the vent.
Hoover: Ralph, remember the time you said Snagglepuss was outside?
Ralph: He was going to the bathroom.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What evidence is there that the Melbourne isn't the late Admiral Hansen's Excelsior? Enlighten me.

------------------
-You're crazy!!!
-I thought I was pisces!

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. The ship's rego.
2. That desktop model of the Nebula Melbourne.
3. The destroyed ship in "BoBW II".
4. It's a confirmed fact by Mike Okuda.

They supposedly changed the ship to an Excelsior in "Emissary" simply because they thought it would look better. Just another one of those things...

Anyway Nimrod, I can throw your question right back at you. What is there to prove that the Melbourne was the Admiral's ship?

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

[This message has been edited by Dax (edited November 13, 1999).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the Melbourne at Wolf 359 was an Excelsior (as if anyone could tell what that ship in TBoBW was w/o being told, anyway...) and the one seen in the guise of that desktop model was launched later.

------------------
"Alright, so it's impossible. How long will it take?"
-Commander Adams, Forbidden Planet

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

But they have the same rego.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an ixTV from ixMicro. The ATI cards are good also.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We've got some new songs here that are not even on the MP3 thing. They're not available in any format, except of course the bootlegs that seem to proliferate all through our audience, as we watch people lip-synch along to songs that HAVEN'T BEEN RELEASED! DAMN YOU!" - John Linnell

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Ms. Bouncer, it would be ignorant of the producers of TBoBW to show a ship meeting with the Enterprise, have the admiral refer to a ship to give to Riker, and then hope that the viewers understand for themselves that the one the admiral arrived in was a completely different ship. It would raise questions that would interfer with the pace of the episode.
It's all about making it easy for the viewers to catch on.
And the Excelsior shown in "Emissary" shows that the producers went to great lenghts to eliminate any doubts and explain to us that this ship is the same as the earlier Excelsior. They could've let the Borg destroy it before you could see the registry, but they didn't. You should be thankful that they even bothered to show that they cared about the whole issue.

------------------
-You're crazy!!!
-I thought I was pisces!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The registry in "Emissary" wasn't very legible, at least, not that I've been able to see...

------------------
"Alright, so it's impossible. How long will it take?"
-Commander Adams, Forbidden Planet

Starship Voyager
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I've yet to make an actual link to the page, I have uploaded the "Constitution-Class Refit Model" page for those screaming for vidcaps:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Zone/6630/picfsentabt.html

I can imagine that this might might be of some interest...

------------------
Phase III: Where No One Has Gone Before...
"A man's reach must exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?"
Robert Browning, Andrea del Sarto

IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well....it's just a Constitution...

With sideways stuck on sideways...

And large black notches on the saucer...

As for a class? Korolev? Springfield? Doubtful if it's Constitution, right?

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vidcaps! Vidcaps! Vidcaps!

What the caps don't show clearly are the ends of nacelles. I thought that the nacelles ends were blunt, like Constellation nacelles. Also, the "blotches" are where the windows pieces were left off from this crappy model kit.

However, new engines would not justify a new class designation in the absence of other changes to the hulls. Aircraft get new engines all the time without changing names or numbers: at most a letter is added.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering that what we were seeing was probably the private office of Leah Brahms... What would be the odds that the low-quality model of the Constitution refit was in fact made by one of Leah's kids, aged 3�
or something? The same would go for the one in "Neutral Zone", with the nacelles glued in backwards. And possibly some other desktop models we see are also hobby projects by the respective kids of the characters - Jake Sisko could have been doing the ships in Sisko's office.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps