Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Most reliable computer... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Most reliable computer...
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I mentioned in another topic I'm looking for a new computer. What type of computer do you own, or would recommend?

I have an old Packard Bell 486DX2 50MHz, and using my dad's Tiger Pro 300MHz computer right now. Interestingly enough, I haven't had half the problems with my old 486 that I do with this computer.

In my Graphics Communications class we used Gateway's, 1 Gateway Destination, and 1 Mac G3. But my teacher complained on how uncompatible Gateway's are with 3rd party products.

So Gateway's crossed off my list of what computer to get. Friends have also told me that Compaq's suck to.

Which leads me to Dell. So far I haven't heard any complaints about Dell computers which is why, despite the higher price tag I've considered getting one. But I wouldn't mind some suggestions before I spend $1,300 on a PC.

Oh and Frank, I don't care how great you think Mac's are, there's no way in hell I'd ever buy one.

------------------
Calvin: "Isn't that weird?? If computers can think, what will people be better at than machines?"
Hobbes: "Irrational behavior."
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You wouldn't buy a Mac? Despite the recent VOY eps which have shown conclusive proof that Starfleet computers *are* Macintoshes???

I use a Hewlett Packard -- something or other. I'm not at home (not even in my home state), so I can't tell you what model number or any of the details. It's got a 17" monitor, if that helps!!!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At Colortyme I sell HP, MiTac, Sunset, and Compaq, at home I have an HP and a Gateway.

HP: Never a problem with that i couldn't take care of within an hour or so.

MiTac: Same thing, although after a restore the modem isn't always installed.

Sunset: Crap.

Compaq: Man, I told them not to get these.....
45 systems ordered, what a great price... 9 months later 43 systems on service. The sound died on the motherboards of several, the monitors power converters die, they lock up if you install software that interfers with it's software to run, say the hard-drive, the motherboard, the modem......

Gateway: (After they sent my a new RAM chip) Works great, never a problem, although I tear up mice quickly. I did install one of those free ISPs, actually several, and one locked up my system severely. I didn't get much past the RAM check. The Goback program is wonderful. A few minutes to back up in time and I was good to go....
My warrenty expires the middle of next month....

To sum this up go Gateway or go HP.

------------------
**...****...**

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All brand names are evil. Have a shop build one for you with generic parts. No planned obsolesence.

------------------
"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much."

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I worked for a computer store in Oscoda I discovered that they used the same parts that are in my Gateway, at twice the cost.

------------------
**...****...**

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've had my Compaq for almost a year now, and I have yet to have and hardware-related problems. Now, software related - don't go there. To sum it up, Microsoft sucks, but then again, we all know that

------------------
Hunt: "You cheated!"
Rhade: "It's only cheating if you get caught."
-Andromeda, "Double Helix"

Dani
Naboo Handmaiden
Ex-Part-Time Admin
Member # 57

- posted      Profile for Dani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I custom built my computer with a couple of my friends, asked what the best parts are, got the best prices and we sat down and put it together. (I needed help - was the only time I have assembled a machine from scratch.)

I have not had one single non-user caused problem with my machine in the almost 2 years I have now had it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's that Dani? Oh, no, I couldn't ... well, if you insist, I guess you can build my next computer for me ... =)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a bit of a toss-up, really. I like my custom built computer much more than this one (a Compaq), but that's largely due to it being twice as fast.

It is easier to sort out hardware conflicts and things of that nature. On the other hand, I could tell some CD drive horror stories that would make your eyes peel.

Maybe not. My point is, just make sure it's got good stuff inside it, whichever route you choose.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Nah. I'm just having some fun. I bought my computer 6 months ago or so, maxing out my MBNA M/C as I did so. Ugh. I'll be paying it off for a LONG time ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, go to a local computer company to buy your computer, but talk to them to make sure they know what they're talking about.

My dad just purchased an AMD Athalon 1000mghz processor, 128MB ram, 20gig hdd, with 32MB nvidia TNT 2 video card.... all for $1,000. That includes a cd burner and monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers.

------------------
"I'm not like George Bush. If he wins or loses, life goes on. I will do anything to win." - Al Gore, Newsweek, 1999

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Oh and Frank, I don't care how great you think Mac's are, there's no way in hell I'd ever buy one."

Glad to hear that you thought about it enough to include this in your original post.

(Although you really won't find reliability in most of the major PC manufacturers, even if you run Linux or whatever...)

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I remember my mum telling me 'don't wear that jacket, it doesn't go with your top.' And I said 'Screw you mum, I'll wear what I'll like'. And then I went and changed tops." - Liam Ka--thingy

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... I HAD my computer "custom built".... but my parents cut a LOT of corners. And right now, I'm having more problems with this machine than I could ever even BEGIN to go into. And it hurts too much to try to fix it. Pleh.

So all i've got to say, is if you're going to have one BUILT, make sure you don't cut corners AND the store you buy it from knows what they're doing.

Computer Renaissance, where my parents got MY machine, seems to be clueless. Seriously, they're idiots. But I won't go there.........

~LOA

------------------
"The purple elephants have conquered my pants! Weasels to the rescue!!!" ~TSN, Oct. 23, 2000

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while ago I allocated a good chunk of money to getting a kickass new computer to suplement and replace the ones I already have.

All the configurations were generally the same... At first, I was going to hand-build the system. Then I ran into a little problem - sales tax! I could have spent $2900 on the computer, but would have gotten charged another $300-400 on sales tax overall. I decided to spend $3100 and get a Dell... Saved me a bit on sales tax, and I got some nice software to boot.

The Dell system is pretty good... I'd recommend them.

------------------
"Uh, Cody, what has the Mullah of Cappistan been smoking?"
"MILKSHAKES. I HAVE BEEN SMOKING MILKSHAKES!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I hate Computer Renaissance, we've got one up here in Timonium...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps