Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Most reliable computer... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Most reliable computer...
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm glad my original decision to get a Dell seems to be the best idea.

Now if I can get one with my own set of specs:

800MHz (or more)
128MB SDRAM
30GB Harddrive
16MB OpenGL video card
DVD-ROM drive
CD Writer drive.

------------------
"There's a new Mexico?" - Mr. Burns
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That spec, while hefty at the moment, seems a bit conservative if you want to resist obsolescence.

Gateways have been good in my experience, good warranty and support, configsafe program is good.

Another thing. Make sure you specify a good frequency mother board and RAM if you want to be able to upgrade.

------------------
"Baby. The other, other white meat." Fat Bastard.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, it's impossible to resist obsolescence with any computer you buy, if you're not going to upgrade it. And, since ATM and Intel are now considerate enough to change the CPU adaptor type every half a year or so, you get to spend extra money on a brand new motherboard whenever you want a faster processor too. Goodee!

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And people said Microsoft was evil...

------------------
"Oh for fuck's sake, stop your moaning,
If you fancy a threesome at this time of night, you can't get start getting choosey about which particular three!
-Queer As Folk, UK

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone with more money than me is evil.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's money?

------------------
Well, it's done, yes, the deed is done.

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: Er, I'm not naive enough to believe that you can completely avoid obsolescence. When I said "resist" I meant "try to avoid". One can "resist" arrest and still be arrested.

------------------
"Baby. The other, other white meat." Fat Bastard.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

But with computers, you can never resist obscelensence. The only way you can do that is to upgrade constantly.

But, on the other hand, you shouldn't upgrade just for the sake of it. You got a PII 400? And it runs all your games fine? Then don't panic because everyone else had PII's. You should only upgrade when you need to to run specific software. You shouldn't upgrade because people have better computers than you.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless you have the necessary money readily at your disposal. In that case, go for it. :-)

------------------
"I suppose it's possible my mother is a product of my imagination, but that raises more questions than it solves, really."
-Simon Sizer, 4-Dec-2000

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps