Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Most reliable computer... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Most reliable computer...
MsChris
Member # 445

- posted      Profile for MsChris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'll have to agree with Charles. I have a Dell at work - Pentium III - Office 2000 - 17in monitor - and everything possible! My only recommendation with Dell...load up on RAM. It's not expensive to do so. It would seem that the Dell's don't like extremely huge files. But hey, what PC does?

I have a Packard Bell at home. It's not given me too much trouble. We've only ever had to replace the modem in it. But if I had my choice....DELL!

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How huge? 20MB, 30MB, 50MB?

------------------
Calvin: "Isn't that weird?? If computers can think, what will people be better at than machines?"
Hobbes: "Irrational behavior."
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys pay waaaaay too much for a computer. I've got a 600 celeron, 15gig hdd, 192MB of RAM(133mghz) A DVD player AND a CDRW, with 15in Monitor, all for under $1000.

And I haven't had a problem since.

------------------
"I'm not like George Bush. If he wins or loses, life goes on. I will do anything to win." - Al Gore, Newsweek, 1999

MsChris
Member # 445

- posted      Profile for MsChris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How huge? 20MB, 30MB, 50MB?-Hobbes

Ya know, I never really paid attention to the size when the Dell crashes on me...the most important thing is that I've lost several hours of work! But to just to give you a general idea...an Excel spreadsheet with approximately 10,000 lines X 8 columns (or so). After it crashed on me though, CIS came in and loaded it with more RAM. No more problems.

The extra RAM should only cost you about $25.00 per 32MG. Worth it - especially if you plan to have several windows running at one time. Best PC I've ever had to work with!

[This message has been edited by MsChris (edited November 25, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's it, then. You didn't have enough RAM. It wasn't the fact that it was a Dell that was the problem. Any computer w/o enough RAM will have trouble handling too much work at once.

------------------
"What he did to that walrus gentle-man was inexcusable."
-T. Herman Zweibel on "Mr. Woodrow Wood-pecker", The Onion, 7-Nov-2000

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, MsChris, tell us ... does size really matter?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I had a Packard Bell, until it caught fire and burned down.

Now I have some comments about the computers I use;

Gateway: Okay if desparate

Dell: Great, only if the system has the maximum amount of ram and is the most expensive

Compaq: My aunt's laptop cannot run on the battery...

Sony: Good, if the system is the most expensive laptop and has a CD-RW and all the goodies

Micron: Great, but too expensive for some people

IBM: Why bother when there are lots of cheaper substitutes

And this ends my two francs

------------------
So why don't we make a little room in my BMW babe
Searching for some peace of mind
Hey I'll help you find it
I do believe that we are practicing the same religion
- from the song "Fastlove"

[This message has been edited by Michael_T (edited November 26, 2000).]

MsChris
Member # 445

So, MsChris, tell us ... does size really matter?-JeffKardde

Ummm....Well...yeah - especially if you loose it before you have finished your work.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris (can we call you "Chris"?): Congratulations. You've passed the innuendo test. You're well on your way to fitting right in around here... *L*

------------------
"What he did to that walrus gentle-man was inexcusable."
-T. Herman Zweibel on "Mr. Woodrow Wood-pecker", The Onion, 7-Nov-2000

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Compaq Presario running Win 98 SE and other than a few MIRCOSOFT problems, it runs great.

------------------
[6th Sense] I see dumbass people [/6th Sense]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mircosoft, eh? I wouldn't trust them either, although bugs in the operating system are a given really, considering what the space station was like.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited November 26, 2000).]

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A given? Yes. A constant? I wish not.

------------------
[6th Sense] I see dumbass people [/6th Sense]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Throw you Compaq in to the Pacific, off the coast of Australia.....

------------------
Well, it's done, yes, the deed is done.

MsChris
Member # 445

Chris (can we call you "Chris"?): Congratulations. You've passed the innuendo test. You're well on your way to fitting right in around here... *L*-TSN

Please do - call me Chris.
Why - thank you! *bows head*
I'm full of 'em...innuendos that is.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you'll definetly fit in. Most of the people around here are also full of it.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps