Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Mobile Phones (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mobile Phones
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or cellphones, as some call them.

Here in the UK, they've been hugely successful. It's estimated that at least half the population have one now - one source cites the figure as being 34 million. FIVE million were sold in the run-up to Christmas alone. Most of those were "pay as you go" phones where you buy vouchers for specific amounts of talk time.

What I was interested in is, what about the rest of the world? Are they as popular anywhere else? What do you think about them? Are they evil because the bible doesn't mention them? Sorry, kidding there. . . 8)

And then there are the personal questions: do you own one? What make/model? How much do you use it, and when? Do you favour ring tones or annoying tunes? And, if the latter, can you please choose your chosen method of excruciating death from the list I'll be posting shortly?

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mobiles? Nowadays it seems as if every dog on the street has one over here.

I've had mine (an NEC DBC500, which I know no-one's ever heard of) since December '99, and it rarely gives me any trouble.

The SMS (Small Messaging Service - text messages) is dead handy also. I've a friend that should get an award for writing semi-coherent sentences using as few letters as is possible e.g. "R U GNG 4 BEER?" is one of his favourites.

Mt ringtone is a simple "brrrng-brrrng", and NOT some stupid ditty or classic-rock->MIDI shite (even though I wouldn't mind the Knight Rider theme,just to have it). I chose that one specifically because it's short and there's a decent pause between successive rings.

Americans are so far behind Europe in distributing mobile technology that it's almost beyond belief. When I was over there, it was almost a sign of affluence or dire necessity. Over here, they're being banned from secondary schools such is their all-pervading menace.
At least one half of all Irish now own a mobile phone of some calibre.

Thing about those pre-paid phones (like mine) is that the peak calls cost a fortune. �0.80 for one minute @ peak times, thank you very much!!

And please post the list quickly, Mr Poet, I'd dearly love to stab some people through the eyes with red-hot pokers because of their FUCKING MIND-FREEZINGLY SHITE RING TONES!!!!

What do you mean, just "pick" one? You mean I don't get to actually do someone a mischief? Become a video nasty?
Ahh...>

------------------
Go Mad.
Go Evil.
Just GO.

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Americans are so far behind Europe in distributing mobile technology that it's almost beyond belief.
Per'aps you should drop by Sillycon Valley some time. There seems to be a cellphone in every family... At least one. We have one, used only for vehicle emergencies...

I've been looking at getting one, mainly for the voicemail. SMS'd be handy as well. (Gee, I can ICQ myself SMS messages...)

------------------
"Babies are squirmy, ugly, dirty, smelly, and noisy. They'd offend all five of my senses if I had any reason to lick one..."
-- TSN, 2001.01.11 23:27, PhoenixChat

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The worst tone has to be what is called "Grande Valse" on mine - it's the one that goes

quote:
DaDeeDaDa, DaDeeDaDa, DaDeeDaDaDaaaah

Anyone who has that should be shot on sight. Or hearing, rather.

My first phone was a Nokia 3110, or the 'Phaser' as I called it. It was a good phone, but it never really caught on, especially after the 5110 with the swappable covers appeared. I then got an Ericsson, but I hated it and gave it to my brother. Who then ran up �80 a month phone bills.

Now I have the Nokia 7110, the "Matrix" phone with WAP and the spring-loaded sliding cover (although the phones in "The Matrix" were actually modified 8110s). Excellent battery power. It's another cool phone that hasn't really caught on. I'm such a non-conformist.

I have a simple ascending ringing tone. I also have the ability to use different profiles/settings depending on where I am, so if it's noisy I put on the one that has full vibrating alert and the Imperial March, LOUD.

quote:
There seems to be a cellphone in every family... At least one. We have one

Which kinda proves Gaseous' point. Here there are in fact 40 million phones (my earlier figures were incorrect) - that's two-thirds of the population. I can think of maybe 2 or 3 people who don't have a phone.

BTW: Gaseous, there is one site that does tunes, www.yourmobile.com - only I think it's only for Nokia phones, sorry.

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps in Silly valley Charles. However what aboot the rest of the nation?

Over here most families have 3-4 mobiles.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

[This message has been edited by Daryus Aden (edited January 12, 2001).]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We try not to stay in touch here I guess....
I have one, the only one in my family.
My brother has 2.
My dad as none.
Average is 1.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have one, with no minutes at all on it. It was supposed to be for pregnancy emergencies and to tell the family when the baby came.

All the minutes were used by her talking to her mother. No emergency, and we had no minutes left when the baby came. Damn cell phones.

------------------
I looked at my son, and said, "My god, he's hung like a bear."
"That's the umbillical cord, Mr. Williams."

-Robin Williams, "A Night at the Met" 1986

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one, but it's in my car and I only use it when there's an emergency.

Everybody in my family has one, but aside from my brother (who likes to show his off), we almost never use them.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've an old Motorola d520. It doesn't even have any decent tunes. Most mobiles, and all the new ones, in Ireland are digital and have pretty good coverage everywhere. As far as I know, most of the mobiles in America are analog as of yet, and the coverage isn't great. Until these change, mobile phones won't become very popular.

------------------
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been a good year for Nokia. I'll probably buy one of theirs soon. It's a pity you can't get good concrete evidence about the radiation, though.
There's still no discerning which radiation is bad and which is harmless...
Of course, it's good for the companies, they don't need to kick any models because of it.
And the fucking newspapers can go on publishing "The DEFINITE guide to cellphones - These are the most dangerous"!!! Good grief...
I can picture myself talking to my grandkids. "You know, in those days we didn't know jack about our gadgets, we even carried them in our pockets, hahaha... I lost my left testicle to that beeper."

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got an Audiovox CDMA flip-phone. It's a pretty sweet deal, actually. I don't use it for your basic "chat" talks, but I've got free long distance, so I use it call friends elsewhere in the States, and I use it as a personal "answering machine" (voice mail rocks).

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to let you guys know...

Here in the United States, there are more active Phone Numbers licensed to cell phones than there are to regular phones. That will tell you how many we have. Also, pretty much all over the US, cell phones are seen as a status symbol.

Personally, I'm apprehensive to get a cell phone. Although I would like one for emergencies(especially for my '78 For Fairmont), I don't think I'd like people to contact me anytime they want.

------------------
"You must give in to tock." - The First One

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff, if you turn your cell off, they can't reach you

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Samsung 8500 cell phone. It's digital dual-band with nation wide coverage by Sprint PCS. This little thing's got everything on it.

-Voice activated dialing.
-Wireless internet.
-Phonebook.
-Stores incoming/outgoing and missed phone numbers.
-Calendar with a planner to schedule dates.
-Calculator.
-World clock, timer, alarm clock.
-Caller ID.
And more.

The battery lasts about 3 days before needing to be recharged. The digital network has coverage over most of the US, including Hawaii and Alaska.

It cost me $200, and I get 750 any-time minutes and long distance for $15 a month since I got it from work.

------------------
Pronouces it "Twenty-O-One"
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited January 12, 2001).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obsolete technology my family clung to for at least one decade after said technology's death:

Rotary phone
Betamax
Vinyl

Take from that what you will. (Note: All these things have, of course, since been replaced.)

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps