Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Mobile Phones (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mobile Phones
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that's the great thing about mobiles. They tell you who's ringing, so you can ignore all those idiots who you gave your mobile number out to when you were drunk.

Isn't it a bit worrying that mobiles have number recognition, games, text services, alarm clocks, and half a million other "useful" things, when the normal home versions can just about manage to make phone calls.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom has an Audiovox something-or-other. My dad has a Motorola StarTac 3000. My brother has a Nokia something-or-other. His girlfriend has an Ericsson something-or-other. I don't have a cellphone.

Oh, and about the common household phone: Anyone have a Vista 300? I have one, and it does lots of nifty functions. Huge caller display, shopping center, movie lisings, banking, email, weather, TV news, comedy stuff, and a powerpage thingy that has listings for the entire province.

------------------
Two atoms walk into a bar. One atom says to the other atom:
"I've lost an electron!"
"Are you sure?"
"I'm positive!"

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited January 12, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My phone has 9 numbers, and a pound key. No fancy shit that old geezers and/or soccer moms driving their "prestigious" Ford Explorer SUVs (Yeah, I'm impressed. Buy an Aston Martin. Then I'll pull over for you. soccer mom.) have. If you can phone up someone and not get China or phone sex, it works.

Big Phone, Little Dick.

Well, in this case it'd be Littlest phone, little dick.
------------------
"...[They've] been so completely dumbed down by the media, by tabloid scumbags, by the Christian "right", by politicians in general, the school, parents who are dumber than their parents were, who are dumber than their parents were, and all of whom think that they can bring up a child just because they got down in bed and had a little sex...well, frankly, here is an audience that knows more and more about less and less as the years go by...We are talking about a constituency...that knows nothing. This is pandemic; terrifyingly, paralyzingly pandemic. They know absolutely nothing."
- Harlan Ellison, on the Media Consumer of today.

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited January 12, 2001).]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmm...Aston Martin....

Vanquish, DB7, or V8?

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Mustang Class Starship Development Project

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I was thinking of the V12. Battleship Grey, of course.

------------------
"...[They've] been so completely dumbed down by the media, by tabloid scumbags, by the Christian "right", by politicians in general, the school, parents who are dumber than their parents were, who are dumber than their parents were, and all of whom think that they can bring up a child just because they got down in bed and had a little sex...well, frankly, here is an audience that knows more and more about less and less as the years go by...We are talking about a constituency...that knows nothing. This is pandemic; terrifyingly, paralyzingly pandemic. They know absolutely nothing."
- Harlan Ellison, on the Media Consumer of today.

Coddman
()PAK CHOOIE UNF()
Member # 10

- posted      Profile for Coddman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a Motorola......uhhhh......something-or-other. It's in the car right now, so I can't remember. Heh.

We use Cantel AT&T "Pay as You Go"....ridiculously expensive rates (75 minutes for 25 dollars), but hey, with our poor credit.....it was surprising we could get a cellular telephone at all.

This phone used to be used for general chatting and/or emergency use, held by whoever was going outside at the time. Then we got the car, so it sorta became our Carphone, running off the cigarette lighter while the battery went neglected. *LOL*

Now we have a cute little 50-watt Power Inverter, which can run the cellular phone and even charge it's battery, anywhere. Not to mention TV's under 10 inches, the old camcorder which doesen't work, my VCR, and my radio. Heh

Power inverters rule. ;-)

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They recently incorporated e-mail services into all the phones on my network, so I've been sending e-mails off to a friend in the States (as a very-slightly modified text message, and costing only 10p), and when he replies, I just ring up a number and a computerised Hawking voice reads me out the message. Sounds shit cool when bad language is inserted.

The one thing I'd change about my phone is that is had no vibra-alert facility. Even though it absolutely EATS battery power.

Vogon: Yeah, there's at least three websites I know off that have different ring tones,
www.dialaring.com ,
www.nokia.com , and there's another one somewhere. Oh yes, the one you gave up above. Nokias only though, thank fuck, some of them really piss the hell out of me.

------------------
Go Mad.
Go Evil.
Just GO.

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, cell phones.... I have one, and I love it. It's just a Nokia 5160, but it serves it's purposes. From text messages to voice mail, chats on the road, and even games to keep me occupied while waiting for appts. It's been a good little phone. The bill however has not been so good... .this month it's almost $300... but I DO talk a lot.

I got the phone because I was driving the most unreliable car known to man, and it saved my butt MANY times when I could have been stranded somewhere. After I got rid of that car, I kept the phone because I couldn't fathom life without one anymore (especially since I finally gave up my pager!) Anyway... now I look at my phone as a thing of necessity, rather than a thing of luxery. The peace of mind it gives me while driving is the best part... I drive a lot, and I have bad luck. The last accident I was in, I didn't even geto ut of the CAR until I'd made a call on my cell phone. SO anyway.... that's my cell phone story....

And as for how many people have them, in Spokane I'd say about half the population does, but most of my friends don't. Of course, they're all young and poor, but still....

~LOA

------------------
"The purple elephants have conquered my pants! Weasels to the rescue!!!" ~TSN, Oct. 23, 2000

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no cellphone. It's not important enough, & neither am I.

That may change, however, when I move. Depending on what the rates are like & the cell nature of State College, I may at some point decide to invest in one. Then I could do away with a hardline completely & maybe go DSL or cable modem.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves, shall we?

------------------
"Reading snow is like listening to music. To describe what you've read is like explaining music in writing." ---Smilla Jaspersen

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I'll ever understand why it is that hearing a computerized voice swearing makes people laugh hysterically.

------------------
Two atoms walk into a bar. One atom says to the other atom:
"I've lost an electron!"
"Are you sure?"
"I'm positive!"

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll get around to one eventually. Damn credit problems (as in, lack of any credit history).
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I had a cellphone, I would want one of two sounds for the ring:

1.) A voice, either male or female, screaming in absolute horror.

2.) A voice, male, reciting passages from Ulysses.

*when I makes tea I makes tea and when I makes water I makes water*

"Excuse me, I have a call."

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I don't think I'll ever understand why it is that hearing a computerized voice swearing makes people laugh hysterically."

Then you fail to grasp one of the universal constants of humour. Flat emotionless voices swearing is always funny. Stephen Hawking is a laugh-riot at parties.

There are many more universal constants of humour. For example:
A man wearing pink.
The word "feltching".
Someone who goes to answer the phone when the ringing noise is actually coming from the TV show they are watching.
An old man wearing a skirt.
A heavily accented Indian parent talking to his thickly regionally-accented son. Double if it's a Birmingham accent.
People who say "aboot".
Students who dress themselves completely in leather, have no hair, peircings in every available point on their body; who are vegetarians, pacifists, and help old ladies across the road.
An American accent in an English pub.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Motorola M3588 (pre-paid). Good phone, but quite obsolete compared to what I see with friends. They all have those Nokias, Ericssons and Siemens', with the size of a matchbox . Too bad my telephone can't receive new ringtones from the Net. I just have a plain, simple 'brrriiiiiiiiiii!'. I'd like to have the club tune of my favorite soccer club, which is available over the Internet via Dutch websites. But they only support Nokia, and with luck, Ericsson and Siemens also. Kids here usually have tunes from TV series and from the pop charts.

Here, in the Netherlands, about 70% of the entire population has a mobile. 88% of the youth between 12 and 18 has one. It's even so worse(?) that I see 9 years old kids on the streets having a $200 mobile. Percentually, the Dutch are worldwide #1 in having a cellular. All my friends have one, and in my family:

- Dad has a mobile, a Nokia 5110
- I have a mobile
- My younger brother has a Trium Galaxy
- My oldest brother has a Sony
- My other older brother has a Nokia 3210

Only my mum has none so far.

Mobile calling in the Netherlands is relatively cheap, I think. In the peak hours, I pay about $0,40 per minute, and in the evening and night it's $0,10. I'm lucky that I'm with the cheapest provider of the country, the four others are slightly more expensive.

------------------
Signature.

[This message has been edited by Alpha Centauri (edited January 14, 2001).]

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sod all the boasting, when the hell is Poet horsing out that list?!

------------------
Go Mad.
Go Evil.
Just GO.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps