Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » What's spinning? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: What's spinning?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gnarls Barkley
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm....I've been listening to:
Cake
Metric
Black Lab
Nonpoint (they're locals and really great for working out)
Morphine (if you like real Jazz, listen to Morphine- cant go wrong)
The Dandy Warhols
Keene (mostly B-sides and downloaded radio covers)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious about what definition of Jazz intersects with Morphine.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kidding, right?
Well, I suppose it depends on your personal definition: many think stuff like Spyro Gyra and Kenng G are "Jazz", but for me, it's all about that "big" sound that you might hear in a back room in Chicago or New Orleans in the '40-50's.
Morphine definitely qualifies.

I can see an afterlife concert with Louis Armstrog and Mark Sandman....
Beats the old "angels with harps" thing anyday.

Go back and listen to A Cure for Pain and you'll hear (their own brand) of Jazz.

Though I dig a well done Yoko Kanno arrangment as much as the next guy, and Miles is the best for cooling down after work. [Cool]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the CD changer in my car I presently have:

Ministry of Sound Maximum Bass (CD1 & 2)
Three mixed CDs
Prodigy Fat of the Land
Boards of Canada The Campfire Headphase
Massive Attack Collected
Ministry of Sound The Very Best of Euphoric Dance Breakdown (CD1 & 2)

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voxtrot warms the cockles of my weary heart.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mim profaned with the obscenities of:
I don't listen to anybody but Dylan, lately. I bought all his albums. ALL OF THEM. Saw him live too. Dylan is THE ONE AND ONLY MAN.

UGH. UGHUGHUGHUGHUGH. Bob Dylan & Neil Young are great songwriters...& they should STOP THE FUCK THERE. Never sing anything. Ever. EVER.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate pretty male voices. Come to think of it, I'm not even big on pretty female voices, either. To each his own.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But dude. There's Tom Waits & Mark Knopfler, yeah?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Shik
Member # 343

But dude. There's Tom Waits & Mark Knopfler, yeah?

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this is true, and I do like both of them.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on my mood, and the level of my head pain.

Nelly - "Da Dirrty Mix: The Reinvention" or some other such nonsense.... it's his remix CD from a while back. The weather is nice, I had a few days without a horrific migraine, so I put all my windows down, opened up my sunroof, and cranked the Nelly. It was time to exercise my stereo for the spring. Nice.

Other than that, there's been a lot of Evanescence on my depressed days and Eminem on my angry days.

Medications make me moody.

Most of the time, the stereo is turned way down in my car though, and it's just on a pop, jazz, or classical station. Easier on the migraines. Fucking life robbers that they are.

~LOA

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Most of the time, the stereo is turned way down in my car though, and it's just on a pop, jazz, or classical station. Easier on the migraines. Fucking life robbers that they are.
I know the feeling... I usually end up listening to Enya when I get migraines but in a cold, dark room with the volume on the first bar only.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Perhaps you two have confused effect with cause.
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just bought me an Ipod this week, among the songs in my brand new toy:

U2
Coldplay
Sarah Maclachlan
Barenaked Ladies
Three Days Grace
Creed
No Doubt
Verve
Oasis
Matchbox 20
Smashing Pumpkins
Bjork

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps