Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Anyone up for StarCraft? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Anyone up for StarCraft?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So -- what time is good for everyone?

This week:

...pretty much anytime tommorow after 10pm is good, but I've got an early class Thursday, so I'd like to be wrapped up by midnight or so ...

Thursday I'll probably be available after 2230.

Friday and Saturday I won't be available.

Sunday I'm free after 2200.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm only available between 6:00pm to 10:00pm on Mondays thru Thursdays, and 10:00am to 5:00pm on Saturdays. And it's because I'm in a lab.

------------------
"In a completely unrelated news story, I have a date tomorrow night."
- Omega, in trying to explain why pigs are now flying, why Microsoft products are now working perfectly, hell freezing over, and George W Bush giving a flawless speech. 04/06/01, 12:17AM

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be free next Monday at that time ... (I think)

Let me rescind that. I don't know when my final is ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monday - Friday I work 8:30AM to 4:00PM Eastern Standard Time. So those days anytime after 4 through 10 is good, Fridays nights and during the weekend it doesn't matter.

------------------
"Let me ask you something, Mr. Garibaldi, a purely philosophical question. On a scale of 1 to 10, how stupid do you think I am anyway?" - Bester
Federation Starship Datalink: Brand new look, fresh minty scent, same great taste!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our schedules seem to have irresolvable conflicts.

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

So ... we doin' this tonight ... ?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tonight is a possibility. But remember that I have to leave the lab at around 10pm EST.

------------------
"Intelligence People. You guys are unbelievable. You dump a mess like this (that you created) on my lap, and then you come to whining "Where is our funding"? Well I'll tell you where your funding is. Can you say Health-Care"
- The President of the United States of America, The Long Kiss Goodnight

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Sadly, tonight, Friday, is not a possibility for me -- I'll be at work until 1:30 - 2am EST.

Anybody got a good defense for the Protoss...?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Saltah'na
Member # 33

For Protoss: Use lots of Photon Cannons. Lots and lots of them. The probe's build ability allows it to drop one down and move right to the next. You can have a whole flotilla of them within minutes. But like other defenses, they can fail under the onslaught of Siege Tanks, Reavers, and Guardians. And don't forget Plague and Disruption web.

Aside from that, Dragoons do a good business where the Photon cannons may fail. Dark Templars can provide a good ground defense when combined with the Cannons.

The best defensive weapon is perhaps the Psi Storm ability from the Templars. Can turn large waves of Hydralisks and Zerglings into Red Mush. Always have at least 10 Templars handy and fully upgraded. Each Templar can have up to three Storms available. That's 30 Storms at your disposal ready to use against your enemies.

Against Protoss: Terrans can make good use of EMP which basically cuts their health in half or worse. Lots of Siege tanks can do wonders against large ground based Protoss attacks from Dragoons and Reavers.
Most Protoss Players will try to make use of vast numbers of carriers. The Terrans have many ways of dealing with Carriers. Because of their low firing rate, the Carriers are easy targets for large numbers of Goliaths and Wraiths. Valkyries are not recommended as one wants to wipe out a carrier as quickly as possible, not wear them out slowly. The other lethal weapon against the Carriers is that oh-so-annoying Ghost with its lockdown capability, which essentially can KILL a carrier when there is adequate backup.

With the Zerg, a ton of lurkers against a ground based Protoss attack is the Protoss's worst enemy. So are a ton of Hydralisks, which can easily be created in a matter of minutes with a greater number of hatcheries. Large numbers of upgraded Zerglings should be used to take out the Reavers, and should pick up on ground defenses where the Lurkers would fail.
Defilers are the key against Air attacks, since their dark swarm can virually render Hydralisks as invincible. Their Plague is also key as it renders permanent damage to all Protoss Units. So a fleet of 12 Carriers won't do a dent to a bunch of hydralisks, and would likely be crippled as the combined efforts of the Plague and the Hydralisks take their toll.

Protoss players may be tough to go against given that both players may be evenly matched. There are many ways to thwart a Protoss attack, the most common being Psi-Storms for all air units and Reavers, Dark Templars to take out ground units, and Stasis field for both. Be sure to have plenty of Photon Cannons for support.

------------------
"Intelligence People. You guys are unbelievable. You dump a mess like this (that you created) on my lap, and then you come to whining "Where is our funding"? Well I'll tell you where your funding is. Can you say Health-Care"

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure he meant AGAINST the Protoss. I kicked his butt last night. Disruption web rocks. :-)

Ghosts are definitely the key. Lockdown the carriers, then nuke 'em.

------------------
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Saltah'na
Member # 33

I wouldn't say nukes. Too expensive and very time consuming. Just have like 24 wraiths wailing away at them.

------------------

Omega
Member # 91

Yeah, that'd probably be the better alternative...

------------------
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

You kicked my butt until your ISP failed and I won be default, you mean ..

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Saltah'na
Member # 33

Well, tried to play Omega yesterday. Was going through the game until our computers crashed and I decided to go home. Anyways, some features that I've noted in the game:

- This is a Protoss vs Protoss game. So far, I know where he is after scouting around for a while. However, it is not known if he knows where I am unless he has snuck an observer into my base.
- Omega has around 25 structures and I have 20. Which means that he either has a whole mass of Gateways and Stargates, or has a lot of Photon Cannons for Defensive purposes.
- Earlier on, I sent a scouting raid of at least 8 zealots check on his defensive strength. They were met by 12 Zealots and were immediately wiped out. This explains why when the game was disconnected, he had more units than I did.

We've saved the game, so once he logs back in, we'll continue our gory bloodfest.

------------------

Omega
Member # 91

Funny, Jeff, my board listed it as a draw...

Sadly, Tahna only saved a few minutes BEFORE the crash, so we can't quite pick up where we left off. We'll have to make a regular practice of saving in mid-game, I guess.

------------------
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps