Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » UK Election 2001 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: UK Election 2001
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if the Yanks got to blather on endlessly about their blasted election, then I don't see why we should be any different. Would the Brit contingent care to share their thoughts?

To get a clearer grasp of the issues that are being raised, click here. 8)

[This message has been edited by Vogon Poet (edited May 18, 2001).]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll say one thing:

Britney Spears Must Die.

Robbie Williams is cool, though.

------------------
"Intelligence People. You guys are unbelievable. You dump a mess like this (that you created) on my lap, and then you come to me whining 'Where is our funding'? Well I'll tell you where your funding is. Can you say Health-Care"
- The President of the United States of America, The Long Kiss Goodnight

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And John Prescott's got a mean left jab!

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you british blokes were too civilized to punch people out over politics.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That wasn't politics: it was an egg. In the ear.
Given Prescott's temper, could we have expected anything else?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I do find brilliant is that, in one day, Tony Blair got verbally assaulted by a lsightly mad woman, and our deputy Prime Minister punched a guy in the face, and Labour went ahead in the opinion poles!

At the moment, Tony Blair could arse-rape the Queen Mum in the middle of Trafalgur Square, and Labour would still comfortably win.

Since I don't think any of the Brits have given inidcations as to how they are voting I'm interested in seeing how our foreign friends would vote. Or how they think we'er voting anyway.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WAAAAAIIITwaitwaitwaitwaitwait....!

You fuckers have ELECTIONS?!?

Then what's all that "cricket" shit on about, then? I thought THAT'S how you chose your leaders!

That or soccer riots...whoever's left standing rules.

------------------
"Boinky ensued, and a great time was had by all." --Book of Nigel, Chapter 4, verse 32

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nonono, that's Rugby. Teachers vs students!

I suppose Blair will stay for a while, I hope he gets the job done.

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charles Kennedy's a red head, William Hague's a foetus, which leaves the Rev ARP Blair. I'm pro European and believe that the single currency is vital to our economic interests in this century - William Hague being the idiot that he is keeps harking back to World War 2 and how we've always looked after ourselves in the past and we can do it again. This is precisely why he cannot be allowed to govern - a man who's so out of touch with economic and political reality would be disasterous for the country.

I wouldn't normally agree with what Prescott did, but the other guy was Welsh, so I suppose that makes it okay.

Another thing, Soccer? Is that a sport of some sort? Oh, you mean FOOTBALL.

------------------
The Worlds Ten Greatest 'Fucks' #10

Where's all that fucking water coming from? - Captain of Titanic

[This message has been edited by Orion Syndicate (edited May 22, 2001).]

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you see that photo of Hague kissing a baby on "Have I Got News For you?" I'm assuming he was the one on the right because the head was slightly larger, but I'm still not sure.

By the way, all you Yanks are supposed to want the Conservatives to win. That way we ditch Europe and become a fully-fledged client state of yours, I know how you like to screw up people's lives, well here are 60 million more to fuck with!

------------------
Phasers

Orion Syndicate
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I saw that - Hague was the one on the right but people can be forgiven for not being able to tell the difference. Hague does have the ability to get himself into these disasterous photo opportunities doesn't he - the one with the antlers, the one where he's on a theme park ride with that cap - he's an arsehole!

As for Europe and the single currency, bring it on. All these people argue that we shouldn't go in because so many people fought and died in World War 2 to preserve Britain's sovereignty. WRONG! They fought against bigotry and oppression in the form of Hitler. And 56 years later, what do we have, a majority of Brits being bigoted against other Europeans - how sweet - I'm sure their parents and grandparents who perished will be very proud of them!

------------------

Lee
Member # 393

I wonder about the whole bigotry and oppression thing - that they were fighting against it. Most of them felt about Germany the way their children and grandchildren do. They never had a say in going to war against Germany, they just went along with it. It wasn't anything personal as such, in those days they were used to going to war every 20 or 30 years anyway. The upper class for the most part thought "Herr Hitler" was doing a sterling job over there.

------------------
Phasers

Orion Syndicate
Member # 25

They were fighting for the British cause, and the British cause was to fight the bigotry and oppression of Hitler towards Europe. It soon became the allied cause but people still went to fight.

I'm not quite so sure about whether people really went to protect British sovereignty. Hitler didn't want to fight Britain because he considered the Brits part of the Aryan ideal and he wanted to be friends - that could also have something to do with the fact that Britain was a major threat to his plans of lebensraum and expansionism across the globe.

Besides, I think there must have been a personal cause there, if not at first, then definitely later on as they realised the true atrocities of war.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Orion Syndicate (edited May 22, 2001).]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do remember that until, what, 1914? the House of Windsor went by their traditional Germanic name. That might have had something t'do with it, too.

------------------
"'I don't CARE who started it, I'm tired, and I WANT QUIET!!!!! Or I'm going to come up there and flatten the BOTH of you!' And he meant it. And we'd stop. Or he would." --Foreign policy as laid down by First of Two's dad

[This message has been edited by Shik (edited May 22, 2001).]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, that WWI thing sorta did it, actually...

Back on topic:

Blair's earned the right to win. He is, simply put, a good politician. He could have dick for ideas and policies, and yet he'd still be able to convince you he's smart and knows what he's doing. He came to Canada a few months ago and addressed our Parliament and sort of wowed everyone in that his address was coherent and interesting, unlike the majority of our political speeches out here.

Besides, we need a strong third-wayist on the international scene now that we've lost Clinton...

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps