Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » UK Election 2001 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: UK Election 2001
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Politics - I hate it, they all talk a load of bollocks!
John Prescott's attacker is probably gonna get charged with assault - HE'S GONNA GET CHARGED!? Erm, pardon me but it was that tosser Prescott who assaulted him. Havin' eggs thrown in the face is part of being a politian. If Prescott can't hack it, he shouldn't be in the job. He is a thug.

As for joining the Euro - technically we can still be a part of it all and still keep the Sterling pound. How? Simple, we match interest rates as well as all other economic conditions as another country has done (I've forgotten which). This solution can keep everyone happy.

I guess Blair has done OK, but he really needs to get rid of tossers like Prescott. It doesn't really matter who's in charge, the real people who run the country from behind the scenes will still be there regardless of whether our PM is Blair or Hague. Just vote for the one who looks tough and sound like he knows what he's talking about!

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No-one's getting charged - the charges have been dropped. That Welsh git got what was coming to him anyway - it shows that Prescott is actually human. Someone throws something at you in the middle of a crowded area, you're a politician, you'd probably assume the worst which is why Prescott tried to defend himself. All power to him! Did you see the look on that guys face when he pelted Prescott with the egg? He honestly didn't expect that Prescott was going to hit him, which made it even more sweet.

And yes, technically we can be part of the Euro and still keep the pound, but there's the HUGE problem of the exchange rate which at current levels would be disasterous for British industry. Sterling is very strong against the Euro at the moment which means that British manufacturing is losing out to continental competition. Remember Nissan and Corus who had to shed so many jobs because of the strength of Sterling? Nissan only stayed because they expect Britain to join the Euro in the next few years. The other country you were talking about may have been Denmark, but since their main export is probably Bacon, they aren't going to be affected by the Euro as much as us, as we still have a large manufacturing base which will become uncompetitive if we don't join. If we don't join, they'll be going to mainland Europe along with many other key firms. Anyway, the proposal for the Euro is precisely because exchange rate risk for trade between European countries would be eliminated, and we could therefore be more competitive against foreign (non European)competitors. This isn't 1945 any more, globalisation means that no country can truly govern themselves any more - we're all at the mercy of economic forces which means that any measure to reduce the effect of these economic forces can only be a good thing for the economy. The European trade bloc will be a good thing, and if the British people actually stop believing the bullshit that William Hague and the UK Independence Party are feeding them, the referendum can support joining and we can then move on with making Europe more competitive against other trade blocs and better supporting our citizens.

EURO! EURO! EURO!

Shik: Yeah, King Edward VII changed the name from Saxe Coburg-Gotha to Windsor because of World War 1. Kaiser Wilhelm II also had this love hate relationship with Britain because he was Queen Victoria's nephew and enjoyed the pageantry of British upper class life, but was also jealous of our military strength at the time. As I said earlier, Hitler didn't want to fight us because of the Aryan thing and probably due to our military strength. I'm not sure how much the royal family had to do with it. He did entertain King Edward VIII/Duke of Windsor quite a lot, but that was usually just to get him drunk so that the Nazis could get some information out of him.
------------------
The Worlds Ten Greatest 'Fucks' #10

Where's all that fucking water coming from? - Captain of Titanic

[This message has been edited by Orion Syndicate (edited May 23, 2001).]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"He did entertain King Edward VIII/Duke of Windsor quite a lot, but that was usually just to get him drunk so that the Nazis could get some information out of him."

And thus the insidious plot to place a double agent in the Palace in the form of the Queen Mum's knickers was born...

------------------
"'I don't CARE who started it, I'm tired, and I WANT QUIET!!!!! Or I'm going to come up there and flatten the BOTH of you!' And he meant it. And we'd stop. Or he would." --Foreign policy as laid down by First of Two's dad

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Orion Syndicate, I knew that someone here would know more details than I would. But it just goes to show that I was paying some attention in my Financial Markets and Services lectures!

We do still have one major British export - the Mini! When my friend saw the new model his first comment was "What a bag of wank!". To be honest, it looks like a cross between a Mini and a Beatle - CRAP in other words. And yes he is a Mini freak, check out his site at: www.mini-mag.net (if you like Mini's that is, otherwise stay clear).

Orion Syndicate
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Financial Markets and Services eh? I stayed well clear of that one, and being the massochist that I am decided to study an Investment Management module - oh to have the module choices again.

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My word, what a boring election we're going to have.

Since it'll be my final week of halls residence, I'm staying up for all the votes. Does anyone know a good drinking game to play to the votes? Because basing them on how much either the Tories or Labour win will result in either

a/ about one drink every 3 seconds
or
b/ about one drink for the whole evening.

I don't really want to drink for the Tories winning anything, but I think I'd die if I tried to support Labour.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Orion Syndicate
Member # 25

You could drink according to how many times Peter Snow makes a tit of himself on TV.

How many decent looking 'Blairs Babes' get elected. Although judging from the last lot, you'd be drinking less that if you did the Tory winning game.

Or you could drink 10(or was it 18) pints to honour William Hague's reign as leader because after the election, he won't be able to come out with stuff like that again.

Alright, they're not very good but it is difficult to come up with an election drinking game. Failing a good drinking game, just go out and get laid!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Orion Syndicate (edited May 25, 2001).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps