Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » A Bleak Winter? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A Bleak Winter?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got bad feelings about the coming winter. We've had a few mild ones in a row here in Maryland, and we're about due for a big nasty winter ... I think we only had two or three snowstorms all of last winter (we even lucked out on the big one that hit the Northeast).

However, we've had a wet summer. Lots of thunderstorms -- three this week -- and it seems we've got at least one every week. Let me tell you, not the kind of weather we Jeep owners like ...

Anyway, I'm worried we're going to get hit by a really bad winter this year. My reasoning = lots of precipitation in the winter (and our rain patterns been going strong since spring pretty much, so I don't see why it would lighten up) means lots of snow.

Granted, our more northern minded posters here (the Canadians, JeffR, maybe Rob) would consider a "Bad Maryland Winter" as a "really mild snowstorm." However, this isn't New York, or northern Canada -- we don't get big snowstorms often enough to be adapted to them as our northern friends are.

Anyhoo, I'm going to stock up on soup, Chef Boyardee, and lots of hot meals. Let's just hope my heater works (it was broken at my old apartment for a few days in the winter last year .. ugh).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who thought this summer was boring as hell? Nothing happened...it wasn't very hot either!

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darned global warming...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope it snows big-time here. So much so that the roads are closed and I don't have to go to work. Whoo-hoo

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always liked Winter myself. Cold weather, shorter days, I don't know.. I just like it.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the swedish summer has been hot as hell. We started getting rain two weeks ago.

We've also had thunderstorms, two people were killed by lightning here in Stockholm, one of them a guy one year younger than me, walking with an umbrella.
It happened two weeks ago, during the same thunderstorm I was walking with an umbrella to the kiosk. Also, there was hail the actual size and shape of thimbles. I've never seen anything quite like it, actually. I couldn't deflect all of them with the umbrella, it hurt.

So the winter might be interesting...

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh god how I love Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. Daytona Beach, Florida - sandles, shorts, and T-shirts all year round

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to have to kill you now, Stingray.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Stingray I lived in Florida for a while, near Tampa, and the heat and the humidity seemed unrelenting. A like a bit of cold weather now and again...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except for maybe you who live in Sweden, no winter is worse than the one we have here in Wisconsin.
Too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter. Be lucky you don't live in the Dairy State.

--------------------
Meh

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wisconsin just gets cold. Michigan and Buffalo/NYS get Lake effect snow. Once a bit snow storm rolls through, we get that snow... And then the lake effect from the great lakes. 2 snowfalls for the price of one!
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same here. We get a lot of snow some years. Last year we got 20 inches in one or two nights...everything was closed. Then, we had an ice storm, that caused some accidents. All together that winter, we had 50 inches of snow, more or less.
That's all together, not at once, mind you.

--------------------
Meh

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feh. Wimpy southerners shut down everything for an inch of white stuff. It has to be at least six inches deep up here before we even worry about it.

If you're really worried about it, I reccomend Blizzak tires. They're good for cold weather... but take 'em off quick when it warms up, or they'll melt to the road and you'll only get one year out of them.

However, local signs (you city boys wouldn't understand, so I won't bother explaining rings on caterpillars, spider habits and the way the grass grows) point to a mild but wet winter.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last winter storm we got in the Houston area was in February 1997. Major ice storm that shut down the entire area for about five days. We haven't had a bad winter since then. We're due for a major ice storm pretty soon as well.

On the other hand, I'm more worried about the Houston area's lack of a major hurricane hitting us. Sitting aside the devastating effects of the torrential rainfall from Tropical Storm Allison this past June, the last hurricane to hit us was Hurricane Alicia back in 1983. Since then, all we've had is a couple tropical storms (the aforementioned Allison that directly hit Houston and Frances back in 1998 that hit halfway between here and Corpus Christi). We are really on borrowed time for a hurricane here.

The past week has been nothing but thunderstorms here. Some areas have gotten as much or more rainfall from these storms than from Allison. Some of the homes flooded the first time around got flooded again from just these showers. ::shrug::

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All winters are bleak, all summers are painful, all autumns are melancholy, and all springs are bitter.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps