Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » A Bleak Winter? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A Bleak Winter?
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...all springs are bitter.

I'll agree with this for the simple fact that the most despised of holidays falls in the spring time. Yes, I am talking about that joke a ritual for love called Valentine's Day.

As I always say on February 14th, it's no coincidence that Valentine's Day and venereal disease share the same initials.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There is nothing in this world more bitter than love
In all those long days of June
Bring me the long, brown grass now that it's dry
There is nothing in this world more bitter than Spring

"June"
Camper Van Beethoven

For fun, contrast this song (and the almost oppressively dark album Key Lime Pie in General) with "Life Is Grand," the final song on Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart.

[ September 03, 2001: Message edited by: Sol System ]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to visit London by snowfall, I hear it doesn't happen often.
You get an inch of the white stuff you fight it with a pint of the black stuff.

Of course, them one-sheet windows don't sound so hot, no pun intended.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear it rains a lot in London...

--------------------
Meh

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear you've got crazed lunatics running around the seedy sides of London hacking up prositutes with a knife in the fog and rain and one sheet windows. Oh, yes, and you drive on the wrong side of the road (and the car!) too.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo-boy! And all that torturing going on hundreds of years ago. Boy, were they trying to be civilized.

--------------------
Meh

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't stand winter. so damn cold, windy, all the white. that's why i'm going to take over Cuba, kick out Fidel, and set myself up as the new dictator. maybe i'll make it free for people who live in cold climates to stay in my country for a few weeks during winter. just cause i'm such a nice guy. Call it wishful thinking, or megalomaniac desires. but you'll see. I WILL RULE CUBA!!!!!!

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love winter. No sweating in the hot nights, everything is white and quiet, I get to bring out my warm, blue skipper coat and heavy boots. There's no better time than winter to ramble around Stockholm.

My cat likes snow too, strangely. I have to rein him in when we go exploring.
Also, I get to drink a lot of Gl�gg to keep warm. The full respect of the Gl�gg.
-Is it right? -WELL IT'S NOT WRONG!!!

And then there's the food and many housemoose.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The majestik møøse?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what to expect for winter this time around. Last Christmas was a heavy white one, with a lot of snow falling before December. The past 3 or so years before that didn't yield any long-lasting snow until January-ish. So, you never know what to expect around here.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1999: 150 cm of snow falls in a span of three days. Shuts down subway system. Major Traffic Jams. And our mayor has the nerve to call in THE ARMY for chrissakes.

2000: Big Budget spent on snow removal. End Result: Not Much snow. Major Snowstorms somehow manage to miss Toronto and smack Buffalo instead.

2001: Very cold in terms of Wind Chill, about -35 degrees celsius at times. But no snow. I'm standing still on my way to work waiting for the bus literally freezing to bits. We only had about (counts) two major snowfalls that year, all of them under 10 centimetres.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if you folks have some sort of equivilant of the National Guard, Tahna, but I know whenever we have a bad snowstorm down here, the National Guard supplies a Humvee and driver to each police and fire station.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

quote:
Darned global warming...

You got that right. Middle of November, and we're getting high-sixty degree days with stunning regularity. I don't think I've had to use my heater once ... dammit, I want snow.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, so you're NOT just working your way backwards through the archives, you're jumping around, too?

It just rained here, and got cold. Not as cold as it normally is in mid-November, but cold enough to like wearing a jacket. Darn, but this weather is disturbing.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

It's always distrubing when appropriate wear just a few days before Thanksgiving is shorts and a t-shirt, yes.

So, either it'll be a mild winter ... or it'll get really cold come December and January. Joy.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps