Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Celeron processor upgrade (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Celeron processor upgrade
Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All righty then peeps, here it is. My computer is run by a reasonable 500MHz Celeron processor (I thought it was a speed demon last year), and I want to make this machine faster. I want to put in a fast but cheap Celeron 1.0 - 1.2 GHz processor, to make my machine XP ready, if I ever do decide to buy it. It has a 100mhz bus speed, and if you all MUST know, it is a Compaq Presario EZ2200. Just a few specs that I have altered is that the OS is WinME, a DVD drive in place of the CD drive, and 96 MB memory.

[ October 27, 2001: Message edited by: Jack_Crusher ]

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Compaq hardware is rarely upgradable, especially the CPU.

If you really want to make things faster, get more memory. 256+ megs.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next time, I'm getting a Dell...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dells aren't much better in that respect.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, I'm not sure they're making Celerons past 900mghz. At least, not in my experience.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You changed your OS to WinME? Why? What did you have before, '95? 3.1? Anything better, and I don't know if I'd consider that an upgrade...
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, that'd be more like a downgrade.

Windows versions are typically better served by (lots of...) memory than by CPU speed (although they insist on maintaining a freakin' huge swapfile even when there's enough available RAM to load the OS into memory completely). 96 MB is really pushing it, especially for 'ME or XP. With prices being at an all-time low, I'd quadruple that amount first.

A 1 Ghz Celeron processor does exist, but I'd avoid that type of CPU like the plague. They are what you might call 'braindead'; severely crippled. The Celeron is intended as a low-end, low-budget alternative to the regular P2 / -3.

If you really want to beef up your PC so that it'll last you another year or two, I'd recommend that you buy a new motherboard (faster bus, plus better upgradability) as well. A midrange P3 or Athlon will suit you just fine... and XP will be much happier too.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Memory does seem to be about a tenth of the price it was a year ago.

Quick question. PC100 memory works fie if you've got a FSB running at 66mhz, right? It just means that it can cope with faster speeds, not that it has to run at faster speeds. So, can PC133 memory work on a FSB of 100mhz? And can you mix PC133 with PC100?

I've got a PIII 450, TNT II, 128mb, and other standard stuff. The next upgrade I was going to do was get a GeForce II MX, but now I'm going to wait for that NVidia NForce motherboard, and get that and an Athalon (probably about 1 gig). That'll give me a fairly decent computer that'll last at least a year, for around �300. I think.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
PC100 memory works fine if you've got a FSB running at 66mhz, right?

Yes.

quote:
So, can PC133 memory work on a FSB of 100mhz?

Again yes.

quote:
And can you mix PC133 with PC100?

That is a different matter. You can mix DIMM types, as long as the FSB isn't faster than the slowest DIMM of the bunch. Otherwise, you'd end up rating your (say) PC100 chips 33% above their intended maximum. Only very few DIMMs (generally produced by quality brands, such as Kingston) can be safely 'overclocked' to such a degree. Most others will simply fry (and if you're unlucky, take the motherboard with them).

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am dead set on getting a celeron because they are a) cheap and b) have built in 3D graphics acceleration. and I had windows 98 before I upgraded to ME.

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

Cartman
Member # 256

Point a) is quite valid. Point b), however, is complete and total nonsense. You've probably read one of those pro-Intel adds that completely overhype the Celeron product in grand terms.

If you want your graphics accelerated, get a dedicated graphics accelerator card like the ATI Radeon or the GeForce 2. No CPU upgrade can ever match the performance boost one of those boards give your PC, period.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You can mix DIMM types, as long as the FSB isn't faster than the slowest DIMM of the bunch."

Cheers. I always knew that, but for some reason, I'm sure I read somewhere that you can't put PC133 RAM into the standard SDRAM slots you get on old 100mhz FSB pcs of about a couple of years ago.

Oh well. I was going to wait until I got my new motherbaord anyway, since a 1gig Athalon would probably appreciate DDR SDRAM.

(Actually, that's another knock against the P4. Looking in a mag from last month, 128mb of SDRAM was �13, 128mb of DDR SDRAM was �14, 128mb of Rambus memory was about 70 quid).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
Member # 256

quote:
(...)I'm sure I read somewhere that you can't put PC133 RAM into the standard SDRAM slots you get on old 100mhz FSB pcs of about a couple of years ago.

Certain older motherboards (or rather the single-side memory slots on them) can't cope with recent PC133 DIMMs, as almost all are double-sided. But the days of SDR-DRAM are over anyway... DDR modules (which, however, are not backward-compatible) are faster and don't cost much more.

Rambus RIMMs are still so expensive because they will only work with a P4 (which was plagued by a variety of problems during and after its release), and because they require a completely new production process. The memory architecture significantly differs from standard DIMMS - meaning special assembly lines have to be built for it.

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: Mojo Jojo ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Aren't they also a propriety format, meaning that you have to pay Rambus for making them?

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The New Athlon XPs are supposed to achieve speeds of up to 2.0GHz. And you don't need a new board, existing DDR boards with 266 FSB should handle the processor provided you get an BIOS upgrade for that.

And don't get me wrong, Intel was the first to break the 2.0GHz mark, but the chip runs with a benchmark of 1.4 GHz from what I hear.

AMD Forever. Down with Intel.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps