Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Celeron processor upgrade (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Celeron processor upgrade
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not entirely right, Tahna. An AMD 1.4ghz has benchmarked as fast as a 2.0ghz P4, not the other way around.

As for Celerons, they're a formidable piece of machinery. I've used several of them over the years and they work. Don't expect them to perform like a p4 or a AMD, but for a budget processor they're good.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Erm . . . (hastily scrambles for motherboard manual) . . . doesn't say - but I just noticed that "This Mainboard package contains the following items: #5. ATX Form Card (optional) - if I have it, what does that mean?'

That's got nothing to do with an AGP graphic card. It just shares a letter.

AT and ATX are the designs of motherboards. AT being bigger I believe, and ATX being newer. Almost all current motherboards are ATX form. You need a case that's also the same form, but again, almost all current ones are.

An ATX form card...I have no idea. Perhaps it, er, nope. Unless it was just saying the motherbaord layout in a confusing way.

An AGP graphics card is a, well, graphics card. If you've got one in your current computer, then you can take it out and use it with anew motherboard no problem. can't quite remember what colour AGP slots are though, if you're looking. ISA's are black and almost completely useless, PCI's are white and useful. I think AGP's are brown. You'll only have one of them.

Is your VGA out (the socket with the lead attached to your monitor) up the top of the case with the mouse, keyboard, kettle plug sockets and others, or is it down the bottom, at the area with the blanking plates? If it's the former, you've likely got an integrated graphics card, and you'd need to buy a new one. If it's the later, you could take it out and use it with a new motherboard, and upgrade at a later point if necessary.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm, tries to remember the layout of the rear of the case . . . mouse, sound & joystick are plugged in at the bottom, with (I think) the monitor cable at the top. Wouldn't want to transfer it anyway as it is only 4MB - bastard ripped me off: asked for 8MB, he gave me 4MB and charged me for 8MB!!!! I didn't notice until I learnt more about my PC and he'd gone out of business 6 months later!!!

Oh well, its served my purposes for the last 3 years, I'll just save some money and either upgrade or buy a new speed lovin' machine (otherwise known as a P4! Or maybe a P5 by the time I make up my mind).

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps