Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Celeron processor upgrade (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Celeron processor upgrade
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Celerons are supposed to run with a 66 MHz FSB, so although it COULD run at 1 GHz, the FSB will cause a lot of problems.

2) Rambus has the patent for RDRAM. Not only that, RDRAM has to be installed to the exact specifications in order to run properly. More P4 boards are set to run with DDR SDRAM rather than RDRAM.

3) P4s come in two types, socket 478 and Socket 423. The former is the initial production model, the ones with a lot of problems. The latter is the newer model, supposed to address the problems with the 478s (but require a heatsink the size of Delaware).

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^ Actually it's the other way around... the socket-423 types are the inital production model

As for the AMD vs. Intel debate, here are some facts:

AMD processors:
-Are cheaper than equally rated Intel equivalents.
-Are often faster per clockcycle than Intel counterparts.
-Produce a lot of heat.
-Have a slightly brittle core that requires gentle handling.
-Can be somewhat unstable.
-Have generous overclocking limits.

Extensive cooling is essential, a single fan won't cut it in most cases.

Intel CPU's (not counting Celerons):
-Have a steeper pricetag attached to them.
-Are generally very reliable.
-Don't require a cooler the size of a turboprop engine.
-Have a long operational life.
-Can take more abuse.

I'm hoping this won't turn into a "AMD r0x0rsz!!!! In73l sux0rsz u n00b!!!!" style argument. Both brands have their (dis-)advantages.

[ October 29, 2001: Message edited by: Mojo Jojo ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"AMD r0x0rsz!!!! In73l sux0rsz u n00b!!!!"

As for the issue of Stability, it all depends on the Board that the processor is on. Once stability has been achieved, reliability is sure to follow.

Secondly, AMD's processors are almost perfect, they don't always require a second generation of that CPU like Intel does.

Thirdly, if some of you have noticed about the large bracket that is present on most P4 motherboards, I have been told that is actually the placeholder for the Heatsink and Fan. And that bracket is one big Mother.... erm..... do-er....

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think AMD has to be the way to go. Celerons, urgh!! Mojo's spot on with what he says, I know, I work in the industry. Motherboards are all important, I'm running an ABIT KT7a board, 266FSB with a 1Gb Athlon. Runs sweet as you like. It's one of the most stable boards you can buy. I recenly stuck a PC133 512Mb stick of memory in there that cost all of �30 and I've got a perfectly fine, fast stable machine. Nvidia vga cards are also a top choice, I'm still running a GeForce II MX card, and it's been a great buy.

As far as the OS goes, in my experience I'm swayed into staying with Win98 SE as far as running a stand alone home PC goes. ME sucks, Win2000 is unecessary, XP - no thanks.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Adam Bauer
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never worked on P4 based boxes (I have built a number PIII and Athlon based clones) but apparently the heatsinks on them are so large that they need to be bolted onto the side of the case. Fun stuff.

In my experience the new AMD chips run just as well as Intel's.

IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Member # 33

Nice to see you round, Adam. Where have you been?

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elsewhere, one would assume.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed.

Since other people are asking, I'll throw a question in too. It is this;

I have a P2 which I have recently added 256MB of RAM to taking it up to 320MB. Now the CPU is 233Mhz and the motherboard can only go as high as 333Mhz (yes it's an old one). Now I've seen a CPU upgrade kit where I can get my CPU to go beyond the max of 333Mhz. The guys at PC World say that it should be OK, but I'm not convinced. What do you people say?

Oh and if it will work, will there be a problem if I then add a 32MB or 64MB graphics card to the system or will it overtax the motherboard?

(Can you tell I'm a computer technical novice? )

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's two questions, actually

Re #1: Your motherboard is old. Archaic even, by today's standards. It has limited capabilities, a slow FSB (the faster the bus, the faster all other components will work), little room for expansion, an outdated BIOS... you get the idea. There is simply no point in trying to keep your PC up to date by purchasing an upgrade kit - they're overpriced, the performance gain is negligible, and system stability takes a dive.

One important rule about PC upgrading is that replacing only a single part is not very effective. Inserting a new CPU (your current MB won't take to a faster - that is, anything beyond a P2 333 Mhz - processor by the way) that's twice as powerful as the old one will not make your entire computer twice as speedy.

Re #2: You won't be able to use such a high-end graphics card, since all models (exceptions being certain PCI versions of the VooDoo5 and GeForce2 MX) are based on AGP-slot architecture - and your MB doesn't have such a slot. Here's why I don't recommend purchasing a PCI variant of either board:

-3DFX (the company that produced the Voodoo accelerators) is dead. No soft- or hardware support, no driver updates, no warranty. In other words, Bad Idea.

-The VD5, while powerful, is a little over a year old now. It has been technologically surpassed by the GeForce3 chipset, which is beginning to come down to affordable levels.

-The PCI bus is slow (though neither the VD5 or the GF2 MX will be able to tax its limit) compared to AGP. The latter has been optimised for much higher data-transfer speeds... many modern accelerators take advantage of this.

So, in short, if you want to extend your PC's lifespan, you're looking at the following pricetags:

1). A new MB - roughly $200
2). A new CPU - roughly $250 (midrange speed, ~ 900 Mhz)
3). A new GC - roughly $450 (GF2 Ultra/GF3)

And no, I couldn't tell you were a novice.

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: Mojo Jojo ]

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$250 for a 900mhz CPU? Over here, 1gig Athalons are around �100, which is barely $170. Where do you buy from?

Also, if you want a slightly cheaper option, then do what I'm going to do. By the nForce motherboard. It had an integrated GPU - which is normally bad - but in this case it's a GeForce 2 MX, a perfectly respectable GPU. And you still get an AGP slot.

Total cost of this option:

nForce motherboard = around �150 ($190), probably.
CPU 1.1 gig Thunderbird Athlon = around �90 ($130)
128mb DDR SDRAM memory = around �20 ($30)

I got these prices from Special Reserve (apart from the nForce, which is an estimate). You could probably find them cheaper in the US. All the other components you could take from your existing computer, and upgrade as necessary. But just from those 3 things, you'd end up with a much better than average if not cutting edge computer. If you wanted cutting edge, you could spend another �50 on the CPU, and buy yourself a GeForce 3 (or you could fit the GeForce 3 at a later date).

Either way, it's a pretty huge upgrade for less than $400.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
Member # 256

quote:
Where do you buy from?

Typo-Bay

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no idea if that's a real place, or if you're making an amusing "typo" joke.

Damn you.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mojo Jojo:
That's two questions, actually

D'OH! You noticed.

quote:
Re #2: You won't be able to use such a high-end graphics card, since all models (exceptions being certain PCI versions of the VooDoo5 and GeForce2 MX) are based on AGP-slot architecture - and your MB doesn't have such a slot. Here's why I don't recommend purchasing a PCI variant of either board:

Erm . . . well my current GC is an AGP, so I'm guessing that my MB can support one.

quote:
So, in short, if you want to extend your PC's lifespan, you're looking at the following pricetags:

1). A new MB - roughly $200
2). A new CPU - roughly $250 (midrange speed, ~ 900 Mhz)
3). A new GC - roughly $450 (GF2 Ultra/GF3)

Yeah I already looked into that sort of upgrade scheme - problem is that everything is AT not ATX and that would mean a new case (�45), new powerpack (�40 or �50). Add that to the following;

AMB K7 Thunderbird 1400Mhz CPU @ �130
AMB K7 Thunderbird MB @ �130
Creative GeForce 2 MX200 32MB GC @ �80

then it will cost me �385 - �395.

. . .

Hey! That's cheap! Wow! I checked only a few months ago and it would have cost me nearly �700! Mmm, maybe I'll look into it.

I wonder what it would cost for the same to make it a P4 (now that the shop I'm looking at doesn't do P3's anymore!) . . . (adds it up) . . . �525 . . . maybe . . .

But then I might wait until I finish University, get a job and then buy a brand spankin' new system. Question now is: can I wait that long?
Answer: Well I've waited this long.

Thanks for the info thought, might still end up upgrading

quote:

And no, I couldn't tell you were a novice.

Phew!

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

You have a motherboard that can only go up to 333MHZ, and yet it has an AGP graphics card? That's unusual. What one?

And if it has, that means you can put off the price of a new one for a while.

A P4 system will be more expensive, at least at the moment, since you'd have to use more expensive RDRAM memory. And it really wouldn't be better than a similar Athlon system (and certainly not worth the higher price).

And you can only see AT stuff? Where are you looking? Dabs.com and specialreserve.net have loads of ATX stuff.

--------------------

akb1979
Member # 557

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
You have a motherboard that can only go up to 333MHZ, and yet it has an AGP graphics card? That's unusual. What one?

Erm . . . (hastily scrambles for motherboard manual) . . . doesn't say - but I just noticed that "This Mainboard package contains the following items: #5. ATX Form Card (optional) - if I have it, what does that mean?

quote:
And if it has, that means you can put off the price of a new one for a while.

Meaning that I won't need to buy a new motherboard?

quote:
And you can only see AT stuff? Where are you looking? Dabs.com and specialreserve.net have loads of ATX stuff.

Looking at? Special Reserve (and a website - www.computers4u.ltd.uk), but there's a prob with their quote request page . Might try Dabs.com . . .

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps