Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » So who's watching the sky tonight? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: So who's watching the sky tonight?
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you in North America and Australia, there is reason to watch the skies. There is a meteor storm (yes, storm, not shower) of "Leonoid" meteors that will be viewable throughout the night near the constellation Leo. Considered a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, at peak it's possible to see 100 seperate meteors streaking across the sky in a single minute.

Unfortunatly, there has been a thick fog hanging over northern Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio for about two days now, and I can't see a bloody thing!!! GRRR!!!

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, a Tropical thunderstorm just blew in over Brisbane... hopefully it'll have gone by 3am... when the heaviest showers of metors are supposed to occur. then at 4am - but the morning twilight will wash out the effects...

I was thinking of driving out to a beach - about 20 mins away - it overlooks the ocean and not the city - (i.e. your still looking NE) and there'll be no light in your way...

But I think I'll stay home... It's not too bad from our pool decking - we've got a nice view of the N->NE->ENE-E

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to bed. I would have like to see it though.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at work. Around 0415 local, a cute girl who I'd rightly like to fuck into temporary paralysis (& if things continue to develop along the lines they have been, I might get to--yay for being polyamorous!) came in & we stood outside & watched for about 15 or 20 minutes. I got to play science geek & point out a couple constellations that I could remember/recognize/actually see through the lights, although I'd turned off all the store lights. She was, to say the least, mightily impressed.

And by the way, it's "Leonids," not "Leonoids." Easy to remember--just think of Brezhnev being dropped from orbit.

[ November 18, 2001: Message edited by: Shik ]

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn clouds. Whenever something big is going to happen, we always get clouds and fog...

--------------------
Meh

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, overcast here also.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was working until around 0400-ish, but driving home I noticed that it was overcast and thus I didn't see a thing.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Leonid showers were pretty good over here back in 1995 and 1996. Especially in 1995 when they were yet to keep the streetlights on all night where I lived at the time.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was pretty amazing. I hiked up to a nearby bluff that's pretty dark and just stretched out on the ground and watched for like 2 hours. I saw some really big ones. I've never seen them so vividly with the tinges of green streaking and tracers. Mightily impressive.

Some pics for those who missed it:
http://www.spaceweather.com/meteors/gallery_18nov01.html

[ November 18, 2001: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had quite a spectacular display of clouds here, too.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The FREAKIEST thing happened here - that storm... well it hung around ALL night... raining quite heavily - then around 3am... the clouds parted and for 1/2 and hour we got nice clear skies - and boy did I see some GREAT scenes even from our backyard... it was so awesome... I saw some really bright greenish ones - with those fabulous 'vapor' trails... and I even saw (different to last year and the year before some really bright white and yellow ones, that didn't leave a trail but must have come in at a really sharp angle and sort of banged in and moved a bit jaggedly! Those were FREAKY! Then at about 3:20 am a really really huge cloud bank rolled in and I thought I better pack up and go in - luckily the rain cameback and it started pissing down again! I didn't get to see the 4am burst - but at least I got to see SOME... I would have like to have been out all night to see it - or even out in the country/outback where the skies are so clear and there are so many stars that the milky-way casts shadows! But even in the middle of the city I reckon at one stage I counted in one burst about 8 in ten seconds!

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it was too cloudy here in Ottawa, Canada to see anything

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would have been nice if I wasn't working on my College Final Project and not worked for about 15 hours straight........

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have, but considering that I had no memory of the previous night, I thought it wiser to get some sleep.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always watch the skies. Not for meteors. But for something else. The mighty crafts the Greys use to visit our planet.
IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps