Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Death... death to all... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Death... death to all...
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, cut back on your smiley-dosage [Smile]

Your problem sounds suspiciously much like an IRQ conflict to me, BTW. Look in Device Manager for any large, yellow exclamation marks.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...note the stupid instructions: "remove old keyboard and mouse, plug in signal device, install software." - how stupid! Now I have no control over anything! So I plug the old keyboard in and have some control of my PC as I install the stuff...

Sigh. Read carefully:

1). Unplug old keyboard/mouse
2). Inplug new keyboard/mouse
3). RESTART
4). Install software
5). Remove leftovers from previous KB/M

The magical trick here is that your KB/M will be recognised as "generic types" (without their respective drivers) so there's no NEED to hang on to your old stuff.

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: Cartman ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inplug?
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Got the laptop from an online classified. Searching for my target now. I would nuke all of NJ, but I wouldn't get my computer that way.

Got the PDA from another online classified, and it's worked perfectly for all of... 36 hours.

Never buy from someone who you can't return the thing to, without it involving mail. If I were to buy something from a personal add, it would have to be someone local, who I could throtle, if needed. I have considered buying a Dell, and may yet, and that involves mailing, but at least it is a big company, with a good service record.

[Cool]

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, the funny thing about my printer is that it's doing the exact same thing from both my PC and my Mac...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you might have a clogged jet.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your Inkjet printer should have a "Clean Printer Heads" option that should be able to clean that clogged jet. Otherwise, the only other reason why this (and all other problems) may be happening is that Bill and Hilary are out to get you.......

[ December 31, 2001: Message edited by: Tahna Los ]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:

Sigh. Read carefully:

1). Unplug old keyboard/mouse
2). Inplug new keyboard/mouse
3). RESTART
4). Install software
5). Remove leftovers from previous KB/M

The magical trick here is that your KB/M will be recognised as "generic types" (without their respective drivers) so there's no NEED to hang on to your old stuff.

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: Cartman ]

Yeah, we thought so too but it didn't work like that. We unpluged the old mouse & keyboard and then plugged in the radar/infrared device and rebooted. Sod all happened and I had no control over anything as the device was not recognised and the computer couldn't find a keyboard or mouse! We needed something to activate the "NEXT" button. Grrrrr!

What's wrong with my dosage of smilies? [Frown]

Oh and no big yellow exclamation marks. Even I know to look for that! Come on, give me a chance and some respect for my basic knowledge of my comuter. [Big Grin] HEHE!

Oh yeah, the printer is now throwing "Spooler" error at me - but my Dad & I can't find anything wrong with it or any of the files. [Frown]

Say, would re-installing Windows wipe my data from "My Documents"? I'd like to avoid a lengthy back-up and re-formatting session.

Next suggestion please folks! [Big Grin] I like this, soooo many good people coming to my aid. Makes me feel as though there is hope for the world after all.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you re-install Windows on top of your existing installation, then "My Documents" would be find. As would your start menu, wallpaper, and everything else. If you did a more complete installion (by deleting your System Directories before trying to run the install program), then "My Documents" would still be fine. You'd have to delete the actual "My Documents" directory to get rid of it.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, have re-installed Windows - bugger all happened. I still have no sound or printer! Grr!

OK, so we took the case off and found something interesting. The sound card is not actually a sound card. Where the speaker cable plugs into at the back is just a big plug for the sound, microphone and joystick. A grey cable then connects it to the motherboard.

Question 1: Could the motherboard be faulty?
Question 2: Could someone have hacked into my system while I've been on the Net and not bothered to tell me?
Question 3: What the fuck is wrong with my machine!?

Please help!

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have an integrated soundcard. It is done my motherboard manufacturers to save money. It's also often done with graphics cards, and when it's done with graphic cards, they often don't put an AGP slot on the board. This is very, very annoying.

You don't have that problem.

"Question 1: Could the motherboard be faulty?"

Yes. It could.

"Question 2: Could someone have hacked into my system while I've been on the Net and not bothered to tell me?"

Possibly. But almost certainly not. Unless you're on a permanent dial-up connection (which I doubt, since you're in the UK), it's quite hard to hack other computers. Especially if you're not an idiot when it comes to downloading weird files and opening strange e-mails.

Even if they did, I'm not sure how they'd manage to muck up your sound and printer to the point where a driver reinstallation does nothing.

"Question 3: What the fuck is wrong with my machine!?"

I have no idea. Of course, if you just want your sound back. you could buy a new soundcard. You should almost certainly have a spare PCI slot. You could pick up a cheap SB 128 for a tenner, and put that in. It wouldn't help your printer though.

It's also possible that you're somehow turned off the integrated soundcard in the BIOS. Load it up and select "Load BIOS defaults", and see if that does anything?

And finally, did you have a habit of regularly pluging and unpluging the printer lead while the computer was on?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I fixed the printer. Just took the cartridge out and sucked on the print head (let the oral sex jokes commence...) until all three colors of ink were flowing out. Works fine.

--------------------

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how does ink taste anyway? Better hope it was non-toxic.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Omega
Member # 91

I avoided actually contacting the head. Just need a tight seel around the edges.

--------------------

akb1979
Member # 557

OK. After a week of stress, I am back. So what happened? I shall tell you.

1) Backed up my files
2) Reformatted HDD
3) Re-installed files
4) Jumped up and down with joy as got sound card & printer back
5) Cursed when found that mouse is still buggered. However . . .
6) My Dad dug up an old serial mouse and we plugged that in - works! But only with its lid off exposing the innards. (His mates at work are baffled by this as it shouldn't work this way - but I'm not complaining! - Much).
7) Based on all available information we think that the motherbaord is buggered & I'm considering replacing it. So far it looks like it'll cost me between �500 (for a P3) and �800 (for a P4). Almost the price of a new system I know, but at least I keep the HDD, CD-Rom, CD-RW, Zip drive, monitor, speakers . . . might be able to keep the sound card - will take something off the cost.

Ah! The joys of fucked up technology!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps